Gymnastics Cake

Decorating By smileyface Updated 30 Mar 2006 , 8:20pm by smileyface

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:20am
post #1 of 8

I just got an order for a gymnastics cake. I am having no luck trying to find a good image to do a BCT. Guess I am not searching the right places. The Mom suggested something with the uneven bars or the balance beam. I found one I really like at cindascreativecakes.com. I will include a picture. I am trying to figure out how it was made. I am thinking the bars are dowel rods with fondant and it looks like maybe spaghetti for the sides tie downs. Am I close? Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks for any help, suggestions, or advice!
LL

7 replies
wagnerml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wagnerml Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 3:04am
post #2 of 8

I agree that the bars are dowel rods covered in fondant and i think the tie downs are dry spaghetti.
The cake is really cute and looks fairly simple if you like fondant. It looks like the mat and stars are fondant as well. I am not sure about the figure--i dont do many of those.
Good Luck
Jeanie

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 3:21am
post #3 of 8

here's a link to the forum thread where this was discussed once before.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-140993-.html#140993

smileyface Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 3:22am
post #4 of 8

Jeanie, Thanks for the input. I haven't worked much with either and haven't done any figures. I made some marshmallow fondant last weekend and did some flowers with it. It tasted pretty good. I am not sure if I will do the mat in fondant or do a buttercream transfer for that. My cake will be chocolate buttercream so I was thinking maybe about trying to make it look like a wood floor. Also, I have to try and figure a way to transport this. I know my cake box isn't tall enough. Maybe I can put it in one of my Rubbermaid totes I store cakes in before I box them & then get it back after the party. icon_rolleyes.gif

Doug, Thanks for the link. Your sketches are great. That give me some other ideas to consider.

Tonia

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 3:32am
post #5 of 8

This is just a thought: I looked at the cake on the other site. It would make me very uncomfortable to have all those toothpicks in a cake for a kids' party or any party actually. Like I said, just a thought.

kjb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjb Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 8

I know in your post you were considering a BCT...I found one from this site...I'm not sure where they got the image however it does look alot like the plate that is sitting next to the cake icon_confused.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=tag&cat=0&pos=10&search=tag

Good luck!

KJB

VickiC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiC Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 8

You may want to consider making a balance beam with a molded figure sitting on the beam in a pose. That might be easier to make and transport than the uneven bars in the picture.

smileyface Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for that picture link and the other suggestions! I did see that one but was so concentrating on the cake that I missed the candy clay figures. I just got an email from the Mom and the daughter likes the balance beam better than the uneven bars thumbs_up.gif . I'm glad I think that would have been a tough one to transport. I don't have much experience with MMF. Maybe I will play around with some tonight if I get a chance. I'll probably do a bct or a royal icing transfer.

Thanks again everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%