Cookie Transport & Cookie Problem

Baking By Zamode Updated 31 Mar 2006 , 4:30am by Zamode

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 1:04am
post #1 of 20

Transport Q:
I am making some cookies for a friend just to give myself some practice. Thing is, I am not going through the expense and time of putting them on sticks and wrapping them in cellophane. I know that's professional and looks neater but I am no pro plus I am not getting paid. icon_razz.gif My question is, I have nothing to put these in, how is she going to get them to work? She is picking them up when they are done (which right now, they aren't started, not even in the batter stage icon_lol.gif ). I thought maybe single layers on...something, maybe just a cupcake/9x13 cake box with prachment on top but I don't want anything getting smudged. Think they'd be okay?

Cookie Problem Q:

Last time I used Antonia's icing and they dried pretty quickly but I had just stacked a few in a plastic container for my parents. The cookies were very thick, thicker than they should have been and I used one of those blasted Wilton cookie cutters, which I don't really like Wilton cutters. I like metal, for one but that's another story. They were all cracked when I got to the house later on. Was it the baking or the thickness?

TIA thumbs_up.gif

19 replies
thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 1:12am
post #2 of 20

I can't help you on the cookie problem, but when I make cookies and have to transport them, I stack them either top to bottom or front to back in a cake box. I just use the size that I need for however many cookies I've got. I've never wrapped mine in cellophane, but I agree it looks really nice.

Zamode Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 1:30am
post #3 of 20

Thanks thyterrell, I was just at the craft store to get boxes (only what I needed) and forgot about the cookies. I didn't feel like going back but I guess I am! icon_lol.gif

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 1:50am
post #4 of 20

I made my first cookies last week and I bought the cheap bags. They are made by Hefty and are called sandwich and storage bags. They were just over a dollar for 150 bags. I then used curly ribbin to tie them up. They came out pretty cute and all individually wrapped.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:01am
post #5 of 20

I made about 12 doz. cookies for my daughters 10th high school reunion. I purchased 2 large clear plastic trays and the lids that fit over them. (the type you might see for a cold cut tray). I was able to fit 6doz on each tray and they made a very nice display. Unfortunately I didn't think to take any pictures.

bbelias Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbelias Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:17am
post #6 of 20

When I make cookies for the kids to take to school or for my hubby to take to work I just stack them in my trusty Tupperware container (the one for marinating meat which I never use it for). I usuallydon't have to worry about the icing sticking because I use royal but if you are worried you can seperate the layers with parchment or wax paper. The container holds quite a few although I have never counted exactly how many and keeps them really fresh. Have fun baking!

As for your cookie problem . . . are you talking about the icing cracking or the whole cookie?

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:18am
post #7 of 20

you can buy a whole bunch of sizes of pizza boxes at many restaurant supply stores or even warehouse stores. They run about 50 cents per box! I can pack about 20-30 cookies nice and flat for transporting, if the client doesn't need them wrapped individually.

Zamode Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 4:22am
post #8 of 20

Ooh, Antonia, what a nice cheapie idea! icon_lol.gif

Bbelias, the whole cookie cracked, in half or in pieces. Not all of them but nonetheless, I was disappointed. Dad said they tasted good anyway but that's not (completely) the point.

bbelias Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbelias Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 4:32am
post #9 of 20

bummer . . . the one time that I had that happen was when I was in a BIG hurry to complete a cookie basket and it was pretty humid out. I iced the cookies before they were completely cool so I had many things going against me that day . . . anyhow enough of my drama. I wish I could help more as to why your cookies cracked, maybe it was the thickness I am not sure. I usually make mine 1/4 " thick and have had pretty good louck with that. Like you I refer a metal cookie cutter. On a brighter note - at least they were yummy!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 5:20am
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamode

Transport Q:
I am making some cookies for a friend just to give myself some practice. Thing is, I am not going through the expense and time of putting them on sticks and wrapping them in cellophane. I know that's professional and looks neater but I am no pro plus I am not getting paid. icon_razz.gif My question is, I have nothing to put these in, how is she going to get them to work? She is picking them up when they are done (which right now, they aren't started, not even in the batter stage icon_lol.gif ). I thought maybe single layers on...something, maybe just a cupcake/9x13 cake box with prachment on top but I don't want anything getting smudged. Think they'd be okay?

Cookie Problem Q:

Last time I used Antonia's icing and they dried pretty quickly but I had just stacked a few in a plastic container for my parents. The cookies were very thick, thicker than they should have been and I used one of those blasted Wilton cookie cutters, which I don't really like Wilton cutters. I like metal, for one but that's another story. They were all cracked when I got to the house later on. Was it the baking or the thickness?

TIA thumbs_up.gif

This is probably a little to late for you now.

I know you don't want to spend the extra money because you are not getting paid. But remember presentation is everything. Use the opportunity to get some word of mouth/advertising out there.

I had an order last weekend the extra cookies I packaged up and took in to the office and got them sold. Plus I got more orders out of the whole deal.

The bags I use I get at a bulk food place. They use them for spices. I spoke to the manager and he sells them to me at cost. The ribbon I buy at the dollar store.

Bottom line is what might seem like a bit of an expense now could pay off later.

If they are completely dry they should be fine if you place them in a cake box or on a platter.

Did you overbake them?

ShyannAutumn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShyannAutumn Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 3:20pm
post #11 of 20

I am always afraid of using containers that I bought. They seem to never come back to me. Some cookies I made for the cost of supplies only and I selfishly don't want to donate anymore.

I have gone to the grocery store and picked up 4 boxes. Cut the sides down to 3 inches high. Opened one end on boxes and duct taped two of them together (security, not a redneck thang icon_wink.gif ) You can make them as long as you need them and cut down on the amount of boxes you need.
I then wrapped them with foil christmas paper and amazingly they returned with the reply "these are too pretty to throw away. Same thing happens with the cake treys. icon_confused.gif

As for the actual transporting. If you cookies are wrapped... line the bottom of the boxes with quilt batting. You can peel the layers of batting apart and lay the cookies in between (or on top if you prefer) They won't slide around and they have extra cushion on the bumps.

Shyann

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 3:25pm
post #12 of 20

I have been doing 1/4" thick cookies, but wonder if I went down a size to 3/8", if that would be too thin for cookies....use the no-fail recipe and it seems to puff up a bit. What thickness do you all prefer?

Debbie

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 3:37pm
post #13 of 20

I agree with Cake Princess. Practice is more than basic baking. I present my practice items the exact same way I would do it if I were selling them. Otherwise, I wouldn't be certain of my methods with the real thing. Plus...you never know who's going to see your work. "Her cookies taste good, but ...."

I make lots of candy to give away. I get little cellophane bags from Nashville Wraps to put them in. Bought that way, they are really, really cheap per bag. I keep four or five sizes on hand at all times. Then, I make little labels out of photo paper on my computer. The glossy paper looks really professional. It takes just a few minutes - and really not much cost - to give your work that finishing touch that really knocks people's sox off.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 6:40pm
post #14 of 20

I roll my no-fail doughs 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick. The icing on top adds another 1/4 inch. Mine are super thick!

Out of 100, I rarely have 1 break...and that's because I've literally dropped it on the floor when moving/packaging mostly.

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 8:52pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

I have been doing 1/4" thick cookies, but wonder if I went down a size to 3/8", if that would be too thin for cookies....use the no-fail recipe and it seems to puff up a bit. What thickness do you all prefer?

Debbie

3/8" is actually thicker than 1/4".

I make mine 1/4" thick, and haven't had any problems with them. I bake them until they start to get golden around the edges, often 13-14 minutes for the larger sizes, only 8-10 for some of the narrower shapes.

I also have modified the no-fail recipe because I thought they "puffed up" a bit too much, so I cut back on the amount of baking powder from 3 tsp to 2 tsp, and that seemed to help (plus it's easier when making a half batch, which I usually do!)

Laura.

Zamode Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 10:37pm
post #16 of 20

Antonia what do you think I did? They were thick, my Dad likes 'em that way.

Darn it, you guys made me feel funky and I went out and bought bags & sticks, against me will icon_razz.gif Hee hee. Went to Michael's--lot more stuff than A.C. Moore but surprisingly, more expensive. I'm not sure about getting business out of it for several reasons but that's another post I have been mulling over....if anything, I can use them for my niece and nephews! icon_smile.gif

Cake_Princess Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 10:57pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:

Antonia what do you think I did? They were thick, my Dad likes 'em that way.

Darn it, you guys made me feel funky and I went out and bought bags & sticks, against me will icon_razz.gif Hee hee. Went to Michael's--lot more stuff than A.C. Moore but surprisingly, more expensive. I'm not sure about getting business out of it for several reasons but that's another post I have been mulling over....if anything, I can use them for my niece and nephews! icon_smile.gif

Hit the local dollar store. You will find ribbons and containers there for a steal.

The flower pots I used in my bouquets I got them at the dollar store 2 for $1.

Sorry about the peer pressure *snickering* icon_biggrin.gif

OK about cookie thickness I am the worst person to ask to estimate anything I know the last set of cookies I made are slightly thicker than the Cookie pop sticks. Take a look at the bouquet I did and estimate the thickness LOL...

Zamode Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 11:00pm
post #18 of 20

No kidding, those pots were 2 for $1! Guess I need to go back out!

I'm not feeling any sorrow for the peer pressure.....I know you guys are right, I'm stubborn!

Cake_Princess Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 11:26pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:

No kidding, those pots were 2 for $1! Guess I need to go back out!

Not kidding they have a craft section there it's great I LOVE it. I got the flower pots, ribbon, oasis (the stuff for holding flowers), tissue papers. They have cellophane wrapping paper for wrapping the entire bouquet. It sure does beat paying Michael's prices anyday LOL...

Zamode Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 4:30am
post #20 of 20

I was surprised Michael's was so expensive. More stuff but not worth it for me, it's a much further drive. I think I bought the last of my stuff anyway and I probably shouldn't have even bought what I did.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%