Business By dolcesunshine20 Updated 15 May 2009 , 5:15pm by Kavingate

lcdmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcdmarie Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 12:44pm
post #31 of 78

Thanks Everybody for all the information thumbs_up.gif

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 1:03pm
post #32 of 78

Now part of me wishes that I never moved back home from Atlanta and Woodstock... icon_sad.gificon_cry.gif J/K icon_razz.gif This is really wonderful for all you Georgia bakers!!! So excited for you all, (but a little jealous, too icon_razz.gif )!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif HOpefully they'll follow suit here in Alabama, too, but by then I'll probably have jumped through all the hoops and be legal! icon_rolleyes.gif

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 1:17pm
post #33 of 78

Dolcesunshine -

So if I'm understanding this correctly - we don't need a whole separate kitchen or anything? We're not going to be inspected at all? And we don't need a business license either? Do we have to register anywhere? Sorry for all the questions - maybe some of these details will come out later, but I just thought I'd ask!

I liked that idea of putting business cards on cake boxes. I haven't printed up business cards yet - I was afraid that if they got in the wrong hands I could get into trouble - but now it sounds like I'll be okay! Yippie! I can't wait to get started!

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 1:25pm
post #34 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxxydust

Dolcesunshine -

So if I'm understanding this correctly - we don't need a whole separate kitchen or anything? We're not going to be inspected at all? And we don't need a business license either? Do we have to register anywhere? Sorry for all the questions - maybe some of these details will come out later, but I just thought I'd ask!

I liked that idea of putting business cards on cake boxes. I haven't printed up business cards yet - I was afraid that if they got in the wrong hands I could get into trouble - but now it sounds like I'll be okay! Yippie! I can't wait to get started!

No, we don't need a separate kitchen and there are no inspecitions. As far as I know, we don't need a business license or registration. I am also a piano teacher, so when I file my income tax, I list my cake earnings under my piano earnings. I don't really do that many cakes, so it works out fine. I would think that business cards would be harmless. I think it's more like advertising on the web and stuff like that.

mjcarter2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjcarter2 Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:43pm
post #35 of 78

Would anyone be interested in starting a Cake Club? Or does anyone know of one in the metro area?

lcdmarie Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 3:48pm
post #36 of 78

sounds like fun!
What do you do in a cake club?

Pyxxydust Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 5:38pm
post #37 of 78

Yes, I think that's a great idea! If there is a cake club, I'm not aware of it. So we can start our own! Maybe we can meet once a month or every other month, something like that.

As for what you do in one - I'm not exactly sure, but we can make it up as we go along!

If enough people are interested, we should seriously think about doing something like that.

dolcesunshine20 Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 5:41pm
post #38 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxxydust

Yes, I think that's a great idea! If there is a cake club, I'm not aware of it. So we can start our own! Maybe we can meet once a month or every other month, something like that.

As for what you do in one - I'm not exactly sure, but we can make it up as we go along!

If enough people are interested, we should seriously think about doing something like that.

Count me in!!!

Kandee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandee Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 12:04am
post #39 of 78

Dolcesunshine20, you said you live in Cobb Cty. So so I. Where in Cobb Cty? I live in Austell.

Genna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Genna Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:01am
post #40 of 78

Count me in!

dolcesunshine20 Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 12:07pm
post #41 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandee

Dolcesunshine20, you said you live in Cobb Cty. So so I. Where in Cobb Cty? I live in Austell.

I'm in West Marietta, just a stone's throw from the Avenues on Dallas Hwy.

_ChristyB_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_ChristyB_ Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 12:28pm
post #42 of 78

Hi again, ya'll! There is the GA Chapter of the ICES that meets every quarter and they do projects everytime as well as discuss the club business. I know they are meeting in Lithonia in May. Just type in gaices.com and it will tell you about it. I joined back in February and went to the meeting then. Alot of ladies with a ton of talent! Anyhoo, the chapter president lives in Dallas and you can contact her via the website. Just an idea!!! I am going to try to attend the quarterly meetings, so maybe I can meet some of you!!!!

_ChristyB_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_ChristyB_ Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 12:36pm
post #43 of 78

I am sorry! I may have told you wrong about the meeting place, it may be Lilburn, instead, on May 7th. And it is officially called "A Day of Sharing."

Pyxxydust Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 2:13pm
post #44 of 78

I just rejoined ICES, but I wasn't aware of the Day of Sharing on May 7th. I think I have a party that day, but I'll double check and if not - I will definitely try to attend! It would be great to meet everyone!

Melissa

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:28pm
post #45 of 78

Well, I live a few hours from Georgia, but not close enough! icon_sad.gificon_cry.gif

Maybe things will change for us too here in Florida!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 2:36am
post #46 of 78

Boo Hoo... Why did I jump through all the hoops to get legal? I'm glad for you guys, but it's going to hurt my business.

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 2:50am
post #47 of 78

OH wow, why can't TX be this nice?? Maybe I should move to GA... I want to eat at The Lady & Sons regularly anyway.... so there are 2 good reasons.

icon_smile.gif

Pyxxydust Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 1:10pm
post #48 of 78

Don't worry - Jenn123 - I don't think we'll be hurting anyone's business! At least I know for me and everyone else that I know that does cakes - we all work full time and just do a few here and there on weekends, so it's really just a hobby. I think that's why they passed this law - so people like us who just do it occasionally don't have to invest thousands of dollars in a separate kitchen. I mean, I would never make back all that money! Nor do I have the space for it, even if I did have the money. So don't be bummed - you'll have plenty of customers that love you and your work and will keep coming back for more!

Melissa

Ricosmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ricosmom Posted 10 May 2006 , 2:06pm
post #49 of 78

I am in Fulton County. Did you all decide to start a club or go with Ices. I am a member of MD Ices but now that I live here, I need to switch it over.

Also, the link would not work for me. Please let me know where I can get something to print out with all of the information (i.e. up to 5000, label, etc.)

Thanks a lot! This makes me so happy because I have always been afraid to advertise and charge.

Chefgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefgirl Posted 16 May 2006 , 3:11pm
post #50 of 78

Wow! Someone mentioned this thread in another post so I had to go look for it. I would jump up and down except I'm at work and people might look at me funny! I am SO excited! I, too, do the occasional cake for family and friends but would like to branch out a little. I have been worried about being legal and all that. This is a load off my mind! I'm going to get business cards printed up immediately! thanks DolceSunshine, and thanks to your sister!

lcdmarie Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:47pm
post #51 of 78

Hi Ya'll,

What are you guys doing about insurance?
Are you going to get any extra insurance if you start selling baked goods?
Just in case someone gets sick and tries to sue you or something????

Just wondering and a little confused.

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 18 May 2006 , 3:22am
post #52 of 78

Hey Ladies,

the news is really exciting, and I was writing because I too would be interested in forming a "club" I know that their's ICES, but I thinking being able to get together once in a while would be cool. I too live in West Cobb, pretty close to the Avenues as well...so maybe we can figure something out. I can help organize, if that's the case. Let me know, and maybe we can figure out something good.

Ami

lcdmarie Posted 18 May 2006 , 12:15pm
post #53 of 78

I would also love to have a Ga. cake club.
I live in Conyers, Rockdale county.
Where could we meet?
*have google maps will travel hehehe icon_wink.gif*

I know for myself, I would enjoy meeting everyone and learning for ya'll.

hmmmmm????!!????!!

What would we call our club?

Southern Bell Cake club
Southern Peach Cake club
Peaches and Cake club
Ga. Cake club
heheheheheheheh!

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 18 May 2006 , 12:22pm
post #54 of 78

jenn- I don't think you need to worry about your business. I've seen your cakes and they are incredible!

Pyxxydust Posted 18 May 2006 , 1:15pm
post #55 of 78

Hey guys! I think that's a great idea! But since I work full time and have two little ones, I'm sorry to say that I won't have time to contribute too much to planning anything - but I'll help in any way I can! I live in Stockbridge. We'll have to think of a place to meet where there's room for all of us.

Chefgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefgirl Posted 18 May 2006 , 1:31pm
post #56 of 78

I also work full time, I don't have kids but we have a dog and I often feel like he's a child. I would definitely be interested in getting together once in awhile.

cake_momma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_momma Posted 18 May 2006 , 1:40pm
post #57 of 78

I agree! I would love to learn from ya'll! I live in Warner Robins but am def able to drive. I have two little ones but the hubby can handle them! icon_lol.gif

tedgar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tedgar Posted 18 May 2006 , 2:06pm
post #58 of 78

I am in columbus and can travel. Would love to join a cake club and learn! I am very, very new and this is wonderful news to my ears!

grgapch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grgapch Posted 19 May 2006 , 3:16pm
post #59 of 78

I would LOVE to be part of a GA cake club. I live in the Griffin area in Spalding Co.

CTamiLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CTamiLynn Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 10:31pm
post #60 of 78

Hi! I'd be interested in joining a cake club too! I live in Hampton (Henry Cty)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%