Kneading Mmf With Mixer?

Decorating By AngelWendy Updated 28 Apr 2005 , 4:23am by Newbie

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 11:40am
post #1 of 11

Can you knead MMF in with the bread hook on a KitchenAid mixer or does it have to be by hand? How long does it take to do it by hand? I do bread in the mixer all the time, so wondering if that is an option or if not necessary because it just doesn't take very long or much effort.

Do you have to let it sit overnight before you use it? What does this do for it?

Any more tips for using MMF?

Thanks,
~AngelWendy

10 replies
reiscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reiscakes Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 12:00pm
post #2 of 11

You know, I've been wanting to try it and still haven't. If I do a small batch of mmf it doesn't take but 10 minutes but if I do a large batch...woah, it takes a much longer time and it's extremely messy. Though, that may just be meicon_wink.gif

I use the mmf right away. I've let it sit but it's not as pliable. Though it's easy to just toss it in the microwave for a coulple seconds.

Anyhow, hope you get an answer! I may have to try it today!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 12:37pm
post #3 of 11

Hi, I just made my first mmf on Monday, and I used my regular mixer paddle (Kitchenaid) but I've seen that some are using the dough hook. The mixer seemed to be struggling a little, so I'll probably try the dough hook next time just to see if it makes less strain on the mixer.

I would think it would be very hard to mix by hand!
Janice

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 11

I used my kitchen aid it was not too smart the marshmello got sucked up into the spring and was a mess to clean out after it set and of course I lost part of my mixture but it did spead up the mixing I just turned it out and finished by hand.

This is my small kitchen aid so mabe in the larger one and it I would have but the sugar on top no the bottom.

MomofThree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomofThree Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 3:07am
post #5 of 11

I have tried this. I put half of the confectioner's sugar in the bottom of the bowl, then the marshmallow, then the other half on top so when you lower the dough hook into the mess it doesn't stick. The mixer does seem to work hard, but I got pretty good results. icon_biggrin.gif

ump107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ump107 Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 3:12am
post #6 of 11

What wattage are your kitchen aid mixers? Mine is only 325 watts and I am afraid that the MMF or even the Rolled butter-cream might be too much of a load on the motor. When I have made bread dough I always use my bread machine I havent tried my dough hook yet.

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 3:28am
post #7 of 11

ya, is it ok to mix fondant in a mixer??

greencargirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greencargirl Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 9:08pm
post #8 of 11

i've made mmf three times now and have yet to use a mixer... with how sticky the stuff is in the beginning i just use my hands... it's a lot of work but it turns out good everytime... i've only made the big batches... no small ones yet... i'd rather make the big ones, i think it's easier

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by greencargirl

i've made mmf three times now and have yet to use a mixer... with how sticky the stuff is in the beginning i just use my hands... it's a lot of work but it turns out good everytime... i've only made the big batches... no small ones yet... i'd rather make the big ones, i think it's easier

DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE WHEN USING MMF? WHAT DO YOU USE TO ROLL IT OUT? DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING SPECIAL TO ROLL IT ON?
I GOT ASKED TO DO A COMMUNION CAKE.. AND ID LIKE TO USE MMF. BUT IM WORRIED IT WONT WORK OUT FOR ME.

greencargirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greencargirl Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 9:23pm
post #10 of 11

i used my mom's wooden rolling pin because i don't have one yet but i would consider getting one of those silicone pins... i think they're much smoother and probably easier to work with the mmf... my kitchen table has little tiles in it so i can't roll it out on there so i have to do the smaller cakes on my counter and this weekend i'll have to go by my mom's to use her kitchen table which doesn't have any indents in it... i just put crisco on the surface that i'm rolling it out on and a little on the pin... crisco does wonders for making that stuff managable... i've tried using wax paper but it just get scrunched up... hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Newbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbie Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 4:23am
post #11 of 11

I didn't have much luck with the dough hook on my kitchenaid stand mixer - but the dough hooks on my hand mixer work great! However I can tell the motor won't last long - it really works overtime and I'm sure it will burn out soon if I do this often.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%