Hi! I Am New And Would Like For You To See My 1St Cake!!

Decorating By nanny2two Updated 4 Apr 2007 , 4:53pm by fmcmulle

nanny2two Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanny2two Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:25am
post #1 of 30

Hi! I am new here and new to decorating. I have dabbled a little in decorating in the past and then my husband sustained a traumatic brain injury about 5 years ago and I haven't had time. I have decorated only 2 layer round cakes in the past and they were very simple.

I did this cake today for his birthday tomorrow. I am fairly happy with it. I did mess up where the circles are. They were suppose to be curly-ques and they didn't come out right so I made them into circles.

I love to come here and read and dream about being able to do the great and beautiful cakes I see on here.

29 replies
Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:32am
post #2 of 30

I think you did a great job and I'm sure he'll love it! thumbs_up.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:33am
post #3 of 30

Wow! That is sooo cute! icon_biggrin.gif I am sure he will LOVE it! Good for you for getting back into cake decorating! Welcome back! thumbs_up.gif

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:33am
post #4 of 30

cute cake! I hope your husband loves it! Is it all buttercream or is some fondant? And how is your husband doing after his injury?

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:33am
post #5 of 30

GREAT job!!!! Can't even tell you improvised!!!! And very sorry to hear about your husband. Welcome to CC!!!

McMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
McMama Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:34am
post #6 of 30

Welcome and Wow! Your cake is awesome. I would have never thought you were new to cake decorating. Hope you enjoy it here. Everyone is so helpful.

ccoth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccoth Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:34am
post #7 of 30

Nice Job!! I like the fun colors. It looks like you put a tremendous amount of effort into it. I'm sure he'll love it!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

sugarfancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarfancy Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:34am
post #8 of 30

You did a great job!

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:34am
post #9 of 30

Hi and Welcome to Cake Central!

your cake looks wonderful and i am sure your husband with love it!

cheers

kylie

azterp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azterp Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:37am
post #10 of 30

Nice cake, I'm sure your husband will enjoy it as well.

nanny2two Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:39am
post #11 of 30

Thank you all so much for the nice words. I needed them. It took me about 6 hours mainly because it was hot and humid and stormy here so I kept putting it into the fridge. My frosting kept getting soft.

It is all buttercream. I don't have the courage yet to try fondant but would love to.

My husband suffered a ruptured brain anuerysm and it left him with severe short-term memory problems and personality changes. It is kind of like having a 3 year old in an adult body. He will always be like he is now.

wan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wan Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:42am
post #12 of 30

LOOKS GREAT! LOVE THE COLORS.

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:43am
post #13 of 30

Oh my, I'm sure that has to be so difficult, challenging. Your cake looks great!

sandralita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandralita Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:43am
post #14 of 30

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. You did a great job. Love the colors! I'm sure he will love it!

mjulian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjulian Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:49am
post #15 of 30

Good Job!

Keep up the good work.

cakecrumb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrumb Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:51am
post #16 of 30

great job on this cake! its so fun and colorful!!

sorry to hear about your husband. i had someone very close to me suffer from a brain aneurysm. it is such a scary thing.

i'm sure a lot of your time is dedicated to caring for your husband. you are doing the best thing for yourself by picking up your cake decorating hobby again. sometimes you need to stop and do something for YOU. enjoy! icon_smile.gif

nanny2two Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:54am
post #17 of 30

Sometime I threaten him with time out! icon_biggrin.gif

He is very happy with the cake. He told me today to keep it up. He understands enough to know that I do need time out from "real" life.

We have 2 grandsons, 15 years old and 3 years old. They are coming tomorrow and I am excited to see how they like it.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:56am
post #18 of 30

Welcome to CC , I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of you and your work. Nice job!!!!!!

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:59am
post #19 of 30

Dear Nanny2two:

Welcome to this website, we are so glad you could join our community. Having to care for someone is quite daunting job and our hearts go out to you for your husband. In your busy day I'm sure there isn't much time for you. You may just find cake decorating a place where you can "Find Yourself Again"!

After raising my children I have just recently gotten back into this hobby and just love it. Take some time and browse through the gallery photos (Gallery tab on the top of the main page) and let those picture inspire you. You'll be so surprised at what you can accomplish. Remember - thinking you can accomplish something is 95% of the task the other 5% is mechanical. Good luck and we look forward to seeing many photos posted by you!

P.S. I love your cake, you're a real natural cake designer. Keep up the good work!

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 2:01am
post #20 of 30

Great Job and very creative! thumbs_up.gif

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:05am
post #21 of 30

HI and welcome to CC. Glad to hear that you are getting back into cake decorating. There are lots of helpful people on CC and should you have any questions, just post and you will get lots of helpful replies and hints.

Hope your husband has a Happy Birthday and everyone enjoy the cake.

Look forward to seeing more of your cake pictures soon.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 11:24am
post #22 of 30

Welcome nanny2two! I am so happy you decided to come back to the world of cake decorating..
I am sorry to hear about your husband and I am glad he liked his cake. You have a knack for decorating so keep up the good work. You have alot of friends here thumbs_up.gif
Where do you live? I'm in Florida.
Faye

gunnersgirl5578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gunnersgirl5578 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:05pm
post #23 of 30

I am new to decorationg too....but your cake looks like you have been decorating for years! I am sure you husband will love it, and I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:18pm
post #24 of 30

Welcome to CC. If you haven't already, you'll find it very addicting icon_lol.gif
Your cake is beautiful. Keep up the good work.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:21pm
post #25 of 30

Cute cake! I'm sorry to hear about your husband. That is very difficult, I'm sure. But be sure and make some time for yourself. That's pretty important too.

CakeL8T Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeL8T Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:42pm
post #26 of 30

What a great woman you are for realizing in order to take care of your husband you need to also take care of you!!! thumbs_up.gif Welcome back to the great world of Cake Decorating!! We're glad to have you!! If you hadn't told us it was your first cake I would have never believed you!!! You have great talent!!! Keep up the hard work and my prayers will be for you and your family! Your husband is very blessed to have such a wonderful, talented and caring wife, I salute you!!
Carrie

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:49pm
post #27 of 30

Welcome to Cake Central!!! You did a wonderful job on your husband's cake! I'm sure he is going to love it. I love all you the cheerful bright colors you used. Keep up the good work.

Cindy

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:23pm
post #28 of 30

It must be a difficult change for you, and I will keep you in my prayers.

I'm glad you've gotten back into cake decorating, it can be a stress reliever and a nice way to express yourself artistically, which we ALL need in some form! Your cake is great!

Don't worry about imperfections - just look at MY cakes - talk about amatuerish! It's only been the last couple of years that I've been able to step it up a notch, so to speak!

When I started making cakes for my first son, all I had was a crappy icing recipe, a 9x13 in Pyrex dish, and an "icer" that my mom had with like 2-3 tips on it, which I didn't know how to use very well. I finally got 2 10" pans after my first daughter was born, and I had a few hand me down Wilton yearbooks, so I got a few good recipes!

All I'm trying to say is that your cake is wonderful, and any minor imperfections are things we all go through while we're gaining experience, just not everyone's beginning cakes are as nice as yours and able to be posted here!!!!

nanny2two Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:41pm
post #29 of 30

Thank you for all the wonderful comments and support. It means more to me than you all will ever know. I have always done a lot of cooking and baking. I am from Georgia and, like Paula Deen, everything starts with a stick of butter. My mother baked alot when we were young and I learned to cook from my Grandmother.

I love the feeling I get from decorating. Starting with a blank canvas and transforming it. What I like about it, is that these are not projects that take months to finish.

For my birthday, right before my husband became ill, my mother bought a large set of Wilton tips. I had been practicing with them with the cookie sheet and was just starting to get some confidence with them when he got sick. It took me about 2 days to remember where I had put them last week.

To give you some info on me, I live in Georgia. I am 45 years old. I have no children, but have a wonderful stepson (who is my best friend), a great daughter-in-law and 2 grandsons.

I look forward to getting to know all of you. Thank you for the great welcome!

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:53pm
post #30 of 30

We are glad to have you as part of our family.. icon_biggrin.gif
Faye

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%