Idea For Sympathy (Pet Loss) Cake

Decorating By JDent28 Updated 9 Apr 2007 , 6:40am by Shamitha

JDent28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JDent28 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:02am
post #1 of 12

I've been asked to do a cake for a memorial service for a dog who passed away recently (Yes, I'm totally serious). The dog is/was a Dachsund, but I'm hesitant to do a cake w/ a dog on in b/c it may be in poor taste to cut into it! Any suggestions? I seem to have gotten myself into a pickle!

11 replies
cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:20am
post #2 of 12

How about putting a rainbow on the cake, and then writing the Rainbow Bridge poem under the rainbow? Maybe put some paw prints leading up to the rainbow. Here's the poem ... it makes me cry every time I read it:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

JDent28 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:41am
post #3 of 12

Wow, that IS a tear-jerker! Thanks for the great idea!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:47am
post #4 of 12

You're welcome! If you don't feel like writing all of that on the cake, you could always pick a nice font on your computer, type it up, and then laminate it and put it on the cake.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 2:03am
post #5 of 12

I can't think of anything more appropriate than the Rainbow Bridge theme.

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:57am
post #6 of 12

I agree w/the rainbow bridge poem. Because it is so long, I would print it & maybe put it in a frame to set next to the cake.

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:03am
post #7 of 12

Or do a cake with fondant draped as a table cloth and put the framed poem on top of the "table". That way, they get to keep the poem.

kms2402 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kms2402 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:04am
post #8 of 12

That's beautiful! I am extremely attached to my Yellow Lab and I couldn't imagine losing him. I think the rainbow with paw prints and the poem somehow placed on it would be great!

JDent28 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 9:14pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks for all of your great suggestions! I really appreciate it!

Jamie

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 11:06pm
post #10 of 12

I am in agreement with everyone else. When i saw your topic the first thing I thought was the Rainbow Bridge poem.

TJB22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJB22 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 6:10am
post #11 of 12

I think a cake with a Rainbow and that poem would be beautiful. When I had to put my dalmatian to sleep this past year the vet sent me a card with that poem. It's such a tearjerker, I still cry when I read it. icon_cry.gif

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 6:40am
post #12 of 12

Thank you cakesbyjess, that is such a beautiful poem.You have me in tears because I lost my beloved maltese poodle two years ago and still miss her.
The Rainbow Bridge theme would be most appropriate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%