Question About Cake Sizing And Pricing...help!

Decorating By StaceyC3 Updated 3 Apr 2007 , 11:08pm by cmmom

StaceyC3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyC3 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a cake this weekend for a Western Theme baby shower. It needs to feed between 50 and 60 people.

My plan is to make a 1/2 sheet (12x18, half white, half chocolate) and top it with a star shaped cake (strawberry). I will decorate the star in a bandanna pattern, and do some other embellishments on the sheet cake, all in buttercream.

I told the girl what I was charging, and she was fine, but a friend of hers gasped at the price. icon_redface.gif

So here are my questions:

1. About how much would you charge for a cake like that?

2. Will the amount of cake I described feed 50 to 60 people?

Please help! I've never posted here before, and am hoping this works!

8 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 9

Well, how much did you say!? and how big is the star cake?

It sounds like it's going to be over $100 though. Stacked cake and with construction and all that frosting! It might even feed over the number of people you said. Someone on here will have more detailed help.

StaceyC3 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 9

I just didn't want to say until someone else gave me THEIR idea...I wanted to see if I was even in the range of an appropriate price.

I am charging her $40. Why do customers seem so shocked? I thought it was reasonable!!!

StaceyC3 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 9

Oh, and the star cake is just the Wilton pan...takes one recipe of cake.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 9

most people say they charge with per serving. But, I may be waaay off on that one. It sounds like a LOT of cake though! If it were me I would charge about $65. Hope someone else helps you more! icon_biggrin.gif

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 9

You are way beypnd reasonable. That is not even $1.00 per serving. icon_eek.gif

kimmycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmycake Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 9

I always show that a 12x18 1 layer has 36 - 2x3x2" servings which is a party size serving. So your star cake would need to feed between 14-24 servings. I would charge about $73.00 for this size cake, but I live in a small town and prices are not as hi around here. HTH

Kimmycake

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:55pm
post #8 of 9

People gasp because they don't understand what goes into making a cake. They think you just bang it out and you're done. Some simply don't get it. Only charging $40 for that cake is a steal. I'm willing to bet that the friend would have gasped at $20, as well. Some people you just can't please. Have confidence...you can charge more. HTH.

cmmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmmom Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 11:08pm
post #9 of 9

Maybe the friend gasped because she realized that it was a steal?? icon_wink.gif Because that is what it is. I would've charged at least $75.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%