Do You Or Don't You Freeze Your Cakes? Why Or Why Not?

Decorating By IsaacsMom Updated 7 May 2011 , 7:55am by ChilliPepper

IsaacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaacsMom Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 53

I've read some posts and also heard some decorators say that they don't ever freeze their cakes before decorating. I was curious about why that is.

I've also heard some say that they always freeze their cakes. I was also curious about why that is.

I'd love to hear all opinions on this.

52 replies
IsaacsMom Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 53

I guess I'll start.

I fall more into the "always freeze" camp. It started out as a convenience thing. I have a 2-year-old so my baking and decorating is very spread out by necessity. I usually have time to bake on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. The cakes would be stale by the time I decorated Friday night, so I needed to freeze them.

After tasting a few cakes, both frozen and unfrozen, I've found that I really like the texture of my cakes after they've been frozen. So now I freeze my cakes even if I bake them the day before decorating.

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 53

I freeze because:
1. It keeps me organized- I bake one day, mix frostings another day, decorate another day ect.
2. It easier to assemble stacked cakes or carve cake when frozen
3. There is no effect to the flavor or quality in my opinion. some say they are even more moist.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 53

I'm in the freezing camp.. I like a dense cake and I think it helps. I put them in the freezer right after baking. I let the cake sit for about 10 minutes after it's done baking, wrap it in saran wrap and stick in the freezer. I usually only freeze overnight..I might bace on tues, stick the cake in the freezer and take it out wed morning to thaw in the fridge.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 53

I freeze also. Convenience - texture and moisture - easier to work with. I always swore I wouldn't freeze until I made 23 cakes for one wedding and had to. Everyone loved the wedding cakes and I haven't had an issue since!

Deb

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 53

I don't freeze unless I need to. Never had any issues with the cake not being moist, etc. Also, no problems with frosting.
Just my 2 cents.
Leslie

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 53

I freeze and as TamiAZ stated it is for the "convenience - texture and moisture - easier to work with." I hate baking and decorating in the same day and I find it is a lot more fun to get out my electric knife to sculpt when they are frozen! Since I work full time, I have to plan how I do these cakes without losing all my "free" time. And did I mention how fun it is to sculpt frozen cakes with an electric knife - LOL. Just like the log artists that carve with a chainsaw - Ha Ha.

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 53

I'm a freezer too! They taste as good if not better after they've been wrapped and frozen-- and in my experience, they are much easier to frost while still frozen. Good luck! :O)

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 53

I freeze whenever I'm sculpting cakes-much easier to sculpt and crumb coat. Otherwise, I don't and that's mainly due to limited freezer space.

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 5:18pm
post #10 of 53

I never used to freeze just refrigerate, unless really necessary. When I started on CC, I started to bake and freeze in advance. For me really is convenience more. I find quality is jsut as good if not better when frozen.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 10:47pm
post #11 of 53

I neither freeze nor refrigerate. I guess I've just never needed to. I find that a crumb-coated cake will keep at room temperature for a LONG time.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 10:52pm
post #12 of 53

Nope, do not freeze or refrigerate! I prefer not to have to take a chance of anything sweating, etc.

I also have a much better assurance that the cake will taste really fresh...because it is really fresh, LOL!

I pretty much always use the icing tip, so I don't really have a problem with the crumbs...and I do a crumb coat on chocolate cakes, so....the only thing I do refrigerate is my bc icing...it seems like it's easier to smooth out.

If you're not sure of what you'd like to do, just try freezing or not try it...whatever you want to do. I guess, all in all, it wouldn't hurt to try freezing because you never know when you might have to.

good luck!

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 10:55pm
post #13 of 53

I have only frozen one cake - it was a turtle cake and I froze it to get it out of the pan - it tasted fantastic and got rave reviews. I usually bake the day before delivery and frost and decorate the day of delivery.

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 10:55pm
post #14 of 53

I freeze my cakes when they're a little bit warm because it traps the condensation/moisture into the cake. I've always had moist cakes when I've done this.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 11:03pm
post #15 of 53

Ditto on the freezing, if I have time. I usually just freeze my cake overnight. They seem more moist and flavorful.

Cindy

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 11:12pm
post #16 of 53

I freeze for convenience sake. With little kids, it's rare that I have time to bake and decorate in the same day.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 11:24pm
post #17 of 53

I freeze - why I like to have everything organzied and ready to go plus I work full time. My son's birthday is in May I will bake his cake in April and never ever had a problem. Most guests think I bake the cake the night before. It saves me time. I do the same with my cookies but they are stored in a really good container.

I wrap the cake up really good with sran wrap and plus I baking soda in the freezer to keep othe smells from getting into my cake and cookies.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 1:17pm
post #18 of 53

I don't freeze my cakes. The only time I freeze is if I am making a layer cake out of a very large cake. I freeze one layer. It is more firm when I am trying to line it up with the bottom layer.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 3:24pm
post #19 of 53

I do both, and never noticed the difference! (I have the same problem, i work a full time job and when I have a lot of orders due on a friday, I will spend the previous weekend baking and them freeze, and then decorate in the evenings)

btw, I have never frosted a frozen cake! I was afraid it would defrost funny..(I always defrost my cakes while still wrapped) I also heard you shouldn't fondant a frozen cake.

Are you guys frosting your frozen cakes? (I agree, btw, that carving is easier when its a little frozen!)

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 6:26pm
post #20 of 53

I usually just take a day for baking and I will bake round cakes, square cakes of all sizes, and maybe a sheet cake (depending on freezer space) and then freeze them that way when I need them they are there and ready to be frosted.

Quick questions for the freezer people! When y'all take the cake out of the freezer, frost it and then the cake starts to thaw out, do you ever have any problems? Or do you wait foer the cake to thaw before you frost it? usaribbon.gif

Thanks
Connie

ConnieB Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 6:27pm
post #21 of 53

I usually just take a day for baking and I will bake round cakes, square cakes of all sizes, and maybe a sheet cake (depending on freezer space) and then freeze them that way when I need them they are there and ready to be frosted.

Quick questions for the freezer people! When y'all take the cake out of the freezer, frost it and then the cake starts to thaw out, do you ever have any problems? Or do you wait foer the cake to thaw before you frost it? usaribbon.gif

Thanks
Connie

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 6:32pm
post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbowen

Thanks
Connie

I thaw my cakes in the fridge..When I go to ice them they aren't frozen, but still firm because they have remained chilled in the fridge. I don't care to ice frozen cake.

mamas510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamas510 Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 4:25pm
post #23 of 53

When you freeze your cakes, do you just wrap it with saran wrap? Also, how long before should you take the cake out of the freezer to let it thaw? For instance a cake for a Saturday party? How long in advance can you bake your cakes and still have a good tasting cake? I read a previouse entry about taking a day to bake, and then freezing.

I hope these aren't silly questions, it is just that with a little one, it is so hard trying to get the cake done the night before! icon_lol.gif

loriemoms Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 10:22pm
post #24 of 53

I wrap mine twice in plastic wrap, then in foil, then in plastic wrap again.

I defrost them in the fridge....I was curious, is anyone defrosting them on the counter, room temp, etc? I have a 14 inch cake in the freezer right now and no room in my fridge that I need to defrost!

IsaacsMom Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 1:41am
post #25 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I wrap mine twice in plastic wrap, then in foil, then in plastic wrap again.

I defrost them in the fridge....I was curious, is anyone defrosting them on the counter, room temp, etc? I have a 14 inch cake in the freezer right now and no room in my fridge that I need to defrost!

I've never defrosted in the fridge - only on the counter. They turn out super-yummy! I've had nothing but compliments on the texture and flavor.

loriemoms Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 12:18pm
post #26 of 53

Cool!!! Thanks!! That sure makes my life easier! hahahaha!

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 12:28pm
post #27 of 53

The fridge actually dries out cake which is why you either freeze or not freeze. There is no in-between.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 1:04pm
post #28 of 53

I don't freeze. It has alot to do with space. I just don't have the room for a cake in the freezer. I do refridgerate, and have never had a problem with dryness. If i have to carve or torte i would rather use a cake that is cold then one that is at room temp.

ConnieB Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:21pm
post #29 of 53

This question may have already been asked, but I wanted to know how long you can leave a cake out on the counter covered? usaribbon.gif

Thanks
Connie

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 2:26pm
post #30 of 53

I also freeze mine.Convenience really with having 2 small kids.It is also easier to cut and handle when partially frozen.I also find the cakes are moister too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%