Icing Sculptor Set

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 25 Apr 2005 , 10:51am by AngelWendy

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 18

Has anyone used the Wilton icing sculptor set? I bought it a month ago and haven't used it yet. I was just wondering how easy it is to use.

Thanks!

Amy icon_smile.gif

17 replies
luceymoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luceymoose Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 18

it's pretty easy to use. Just make sure your icing is pretty thick and keep a smooth pressure and motion.
Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

cakemommy Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 12:34am
post #3 of 18

Great, thank you! I can't wait to try it. I don't think I'm creative enough to get as many designs as they say you can make but I'll certainly try.

Amy

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 1:00am
post #4 of 18

I'm anxious to see what you think of those cakemommy. I've been wanting to get the sculptors but was hoping to hear a few opinions first. Please post back here! TIA!

Beth

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 2:50am
post #5 of 18

I bought one during Hobby Lobby's 50% off sale but I haven't used it yet either. Glad to hear it's not as complicated as it looks!

cakemommy Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 3:21am
post #6 of 18

While playing around with it, I had issues with the different "thingies" (don't know what to call them) falling out. They didn't seem to stay in there all that well. The picture on the box makes it look like the "thingies" stick out more than they are supposed to.

Thingies....... Yeah, I went to college to learn that word!

Amy

Lisa Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 3:26am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemommy

While playing around with it, I had issues with the different "thingies" (don't know what to call them) falling out. They didn't seem to stay in there all that well. The picture on the box makes it look like the "thingies" stick out more than they are supposed to.

Thingies....... Yeah, I went to college to learn that word!

Amy

LOL icon_smile.gif ...I call them teeth.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 4:36am
post #8 of 18

I bought it about 2 weeks ago and was so excited to use it. But when I saw everything out of the box, it got very intimidating. But now that I know that it isn't as hard as it looks, I think that I will have to give it a go. Always another reason to make cake! icon_lol.gif

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 4:40am
post #9 of 18

I had the same problem that cakemommy had with the teeth falling out. I was not happy with it at all. I have only used it twice and don't plan using it again anytime soon. icon_sad.gif

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 8:52am
post #10 of 18

icon_mad.gif yes my thingies kept
falling out i couldnt even use it it kept upsetting me............

Has anyone teeth/thingies actully stayed in maybe mine was broken...

or not just wishful thinking

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 10:20am
post #11 of 18

Hi, all. After hearing all of your disasters with this new gadget, I decided to finally open my box. I actually didn't have the problem with the teeth falling out. But i did have trouble getting the darn things in. I didn't think that I would have to remove the safety clips to place the pieces in. But I did have to adjust them some to place the pieces in the holder. There was a tight fit. I ran them across a cake board to see if there was going to be any shifting and there wasn't. Now that doesn't mean that I won't have any when I actually use them on an iced cake. I just thought that I would let you all know my expeience thus far with them.

Beecharmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beecharmer Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 2:23pm
post #12 of 18

Ok, I hate to sound stupid, but I have not heard of this before. What is it all about?

letseatcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letseatcake Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 2:42pm
post #13 of 18

I tried using mine, it is very hard to use. The teeth don't stay in and I couldn't figure how much icing to have on your cake. Should it be crusted or freshly iced. I am a WMI and I work at a independant cake and cake supply store and Wilton sent me supplies to put this in my lesson plan for Couse 1. I am having a hard time using it. It I get more info from Wilton I will post results.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 3:12pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beecharmer

Ok, I hate to sound stupid, but I have not heard of this before. What is it all about?

No you don't sound stupid, just not in the know.
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E31A21B-475A-BAC0-51A3CBEF4593810B -this is the product, it gives your sides different looks
I would think that you would need a thick layer of icing just in case so you don't have cake showing through, and it would probably swipe through the icing better if the icing has not crusted.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 3:39pm
post #15 of 18

I didn't find it very "user" friendly either.. when I did try it, I didn't make my icing on the sides thick enough and it cut down to the cake .. I guess you learn from your mistakes.. Mine fell out also... for some reason, they just wouldn't stay locked in ... I'll try again with some of the tips you all have left .. thanks!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 3:40pm
post #16 of 18

I do not have it, but I have borrowed it...and I think its works pretty good... its on my list of things to get...... I just found my icing tip today, and picked it up!!!! whoo hooo!

Lisa Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 5:50pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by flayvurdfun

I do not have it, but I have borrowed it...and I think its works pretty good... its on my list of things to get...... I just found my icing tip today, and picked it up!!!! whoo hooo!

Whoo hooo! is right thumbs_up.gif You're going to love it flayv! Let us know what you think after you use it.

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 10:51am
post #18 of 18

I got one on eBay and can't make it work right at all. I thought I'd iced thick enough, but guess not. I caught on the cake and it dragged a chunk of cake out and smeared crumbs everywhere. It caused a cake disaster for me. Since then it's been in the box. It was brand new, too. Anyone want to buy it off me?

~AngelWendy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%