Icing Question....

Baking By Dordee Updated 28 Mar 2006 , 3:40am by Zamode

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 9

This may or may not be a dumb question but I am wondering how to make store bought icing crust. I have tried just about every bc icing recipe on here and I just don't like any of them. While they are excellent recipes, they either taste just like butter or just like crisco to me. I know I am weird but I am so, so disappointed every time I try a new recipe. The texture is great, it crusts great but the taste is a total turnoff. The store bought ones are really too sweet for me but some of them I can tolerate. Any suggestions would be SO very appreciated!! TIA, Dordee

8 replies
Dordee Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 9

Any and all suggestions are welcome, Please, I really need them!!

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 9

I rarely ever ever decorate with bc for the reason that it is just too sweet and I have found that everyone I speak to around here does not like sweet icing. So what I do is look on the web for different icings. My favorite one that I use quite often and is the favorite of anyone that I have let try it is called Bittersweet Chocolate Frosting. I add a touch of confectioners sugar to it and you would not believe how easy it is to smooth. Just take a look at the sides of the cake that I just made today in my pics.
They are out there and I think they taste better than store bought. Sorry I can't help you more.

Lazy_Susan

Dordee Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for your reply. It actually makes me feel better that I am not the only one who finds the bc icings too sweet. Do you think if I just added some powered sugar to a store bought icing, no matter what the flavor, it would crust? I really like the look of the icing when it crusts.

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 9

Dordee, I doubt powdered sugar alone would cause it to crust but possibly a little flour or meringue powder? Maybe I'll buy a couple of cans and try to make a batch. icon_rolleyes.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dordee

This may or may not be a dumb question but I am wondering how to make store bought icing crust. I have tried just about every bc icing recipe on here and I just don't like any of them. While they are excellent recipes, they either taste just like butter or just like crisco to me. I know I am weird but I am so, so disappointed every time I try a new recipe. The texture is great, it crusts great but the taste is a total turnoff. The store bought ones are really too sweet for me but some of them I can tolerate. Any suggestions would be SO very appreciated!! TIA, Dordee

Store bought icing? Do you mean the one in the containers like betty crocker or duncan hines? If that's the case the only way for you to get them thicker would be by adding more sugar. But then they would be way too sweet.

As for not liking the taste of buttercream icings because they taste like butter. There is no way around that. That's the appeal of buttercream icing. The taste of butter. You might want to try a whipped cream icing. They maybe more to your liking.

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 9

Well, I bought a couple of cans of vanilla icing and added them to 2 cups of powdered sugar and 1/2 cup of cake flour. I had a cake layer left over from a cake I just did so I torted it and iced it to see if it would crust. It crusted very nicely. Here's the picture. And it tasted the same as the canned icing did before except a bit more firm.
LL

3inafternoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3inafternoon Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 9

Have you tried French Buttercream?? I cannnot stand regular buttercream, but I looooove the French Buttercream. It taste like Vanilla ice cream.

I looked at the recipe in the recipe section and mine is different. I think I got it from an old Wilton yearbook.

French Buttercream
2/3 C sugar
1/4 C. flour
1/4 t. salt
3/4 C. milk
1 C. cold butter cut into pieces

Place sugar, flour and salt in saucepan and mix thoroughly; stir in milk. Cook over medium heat and stir constantly unitl very thick. Remove from heat and pour into mixing bowl. Cool to room temp. Add 1/2 C. cold butter at a time and beat at medium speed until smooth. Add vanilla and beat well. Chill a few minutes before decorating. Iced cake must be stored in fridge.

Makes 2 cups

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 3:40am
post #9 of 9

3, does FBC crust? Sounds good, I am going to have to try that, thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%