Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 2:45pm
post #1 of

I spent the whole day yesterday making sugar cookies.They all came out great and I decorated most of them.This morning I noticed that a few are discolored in patches almost like the butter in the cookies has seeped through the icing.Why has only some done this and what can I do to prevent this.It looks sort of ugly....

Laurel icon_biggrin.gif

20 replies
peanut2 Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 2:48pm
post #2 of

I don't know if this is what you mean but if they are like small spots I have heard that where the salt isn't mixed in or dissolved it will show light spots.

Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 2:49pm
post #3 of

It isn't small spots...sometimes it's entire areas.Hmmmm

peanut2 Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 2:53pm
post #4 of

And it doesn't look like it's food colouring that isn't mixed well...?

When you say discoloured, can you describe the colour?

Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 3:01pm
post #5 of

The color looks darker than the original.Like a grease spot...that's the best description!!

peanut2 Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 3:18pm
post #6 of

Hmm...I don't know what that is. I hope someone else can help.

peanut2 Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 3:19pm
post #7 of

Unless...was it mixed well?

Cake_Princess Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 4:00pm
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I spent the whole day yesterday making sugar cookies.They all came out great and I decorated most of them.This morning I noticed that a few are discolored in patches almost like the butter in the cookies has seeped through the icing.Why has only some done this and what can I do to prevent this.It looks sort of ugly....

Laurel icon_biggrin.gif

Kiddie can you post a pic of these spots? That might help.

Well it won't take the spots out but maybe it will prevent them for future cookies.

Kos Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 4:14pm
post #9 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

Well it won't take the spots out but maybe it will prevent them for furture cookies.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif - oh, that one makes my sides hurt! LOL

KiddieKakes - I read on a similar post that maybe the cookie wasn't cooled enough? That's my unprofessional, not-even-close-to-amateur thought on this.

icon_wink.gif
kos

Cake_Princess Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 4:37pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

Well it won't take the spots out but maybe it will prevent them for furture cookies.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif - oh, that one makes my sides hurt! LOL

KiddieKakes - I read on a similar post that maybe the cookie wasn't cooled enough? That's my unprofessional, not-even-close-to-amateur thought on this.

icon_wink.gif
kos

LOL @ unprofessional not even so close to amateur thought. YEA RIGHT Kos, stop being so modest.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 4:41pm

What were you using to decorate - royal icing? Is there any chance you got some grease into the mix somehow. Is it just one colour affected or whole cookies?

Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 6:40pm

I think I may not have cooled them completely.I'm gonna try to put a papertowel next time to asborb some of the moisture.I'm posting a bunch of pics right now!!

Kos Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 6:46pm

kiddieKakes- the dresses and doves aren't the cookies you are talking about are they?? They are beautiful! I don't see any blotchy coloring. I love th dresses. Can't say which is my favorite, they are all so cool.

kos

Kos Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 6:50pm

Okay, I see the boot and cowboy hat cookies. To tell you the truth, they look like a really worn pair of boots and hat! They still look cute. I love your other cookies. Your detail is awesome!!

cowboy.gif

kos

peanut2 Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 6:55pm

Very nice work on the cookies.

Can I ask what method of filling them in you used? Pastry bag or bottle?

Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 6:56pm

I use the pastry bags...some I even used the spatula on them and then shook them slightly to cover.A real time saving method!!

peanut2 Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 6:58pm

Thanks Kiddiekakes!

peanut2 Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 9:29pm

Ok, I just made cookies with RI for the first time. You said you used RI, right? Well, I used a dampened brush to move the icing to the sides, but when my brush wasn't dry enough, I had that same problem you talked about. Could that be what you did?

vitade Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 10:08am

You have to be careful if your using a weet brush or utensil. Too much water will cause those spots also.

Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 2:27pm

Maybe watering it down too much caused it!!

bbelias Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 12:38am

I have had this same thing happen to me twice. I was very careful the second time around to avoid grease in my royal so I don't think that is what it is. Watering it down too much might be it but I am not sure. For me it only happened with my red icing. I used Ameicolor red and I though that it might be a bad bottle but since you have had the problem too I am tossing out that theory!!! Your description of the splotches looking like grease spots is perfect . . . I hope someone can figure this out for us!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%