Poll:buttercream Vs Fondant

Decorating By lh Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 3:33am by hammer1

lh Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 7:12am
post #1 of 60

Is there anyone out there who prefers working with fondant over buttercream???? I have tried over and over again to smooth my buttercream but it never works, whether i use the viva towel method, hot spatula, or foam roller. Ugh! even using crusting buttercream just doesnt produce that super smooth surface and i really hate the crusting buttercream because it is so sweet. I almost want to give up on buttercream and strictly use just fondant. Am I alone in this????

59 replies
mareg Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 7:48am
post #2 of 60

I love working with fondat but my famlly hates the taste! Actually more the texture they do like the mmf taste. I recenly did rolled buttercream and they all liked it. I will start doing that more!

countrykittie Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 9:53am
post #3 of 60

I guess I haven't quite figured out icing consistency yet (still a newbie)...but when I've made my BC too thick, it seems to be easier to smooth it out with a hot spatula. If I make a booboo, I can use my hand or finger to 'fix' the spot. If my icing seems to be 'just right', then it doesn't seem to work for me.

paolacaracas Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:11am
post #4 of 60

I only do fondant, the cakes looks better finished, and the taste of buttercream s always underneath

fmcmulle Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:37am
post #5 of 60

I love buttercream but fondant looks so much better for the end product. So far I have only sold cakes with buttercream though. No one seems to order the fondant. icon_cool.gif

Shamitha Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:43am
post #6 of 60

I only do fondant. Makes cakes look better.

MomLittr Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:48am
post #7 of 60

I love the smooth look of fondant, but prefer buttercream. So far I have been pretty lucky with how I can get my buttercream to smooth out and look (check out my pics, what do you think?). My husband, he wants nothing but whipped cream as both buttercream and fondant are too sweet according to him... icon_razz.gif

deb

marybible Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:05am
post #8 of 60

I am a bigger fan of buttercream icing. You just can't beat that great taste. Fondont does make cakes look amazing. I haven't had anyone request a fondont cake from me either. I think fondont is definitely more for wedding cakes.

kbochick Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:48am
post #9 of 60

I hate buttercream. I just did a BC cake for a church thing, and I wasn't happy with it at all. icon_sad.gif Pretty much all of my cakes have been fondant.

azterp Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:51am
post #10 of 60

Fondant - the cakes look so much cleaner!

DiscoLady Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:58am
post #11 of 60

I'm an old fashioned bc girl...I never get requests for fondant.
Why are you having so much trouble with the Viva method? I think it works great and I also find that it works even better if you don't let the icing set (I use a crusting bc). Also if you add some salt to your recipe it will cut the sweetness down too.

butternut Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 2:02am
post #12 of 60

For me, it's buttercream all the way.......

sandralita Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 2:08am
post #13 of 60

I'm a fondant kind of girl. Just love to work with it. It's the canvas for displaying my creations. I actually don't like when people ask me for BC. I try to talk them out of it!!

indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 2:14am
post #14 of 60

I'm buttercream only. I've only had 2 brides in 2 years request fondant. Once I show them we can get the smoothness of fondant with buttercream, it becomes a non issue. I've recently started using the drywall scraper and getting the icing smooth is even easier with that tool!

I'm not sure I would say whether one or the other looks better. I've seen fondant cakes that look great and I've seen fondant cakes that look like play-doh cakes. I would never want my name on a cake that looks like play doh. I believe it takes special talent to work with either and have a cake look great.

Like the mix or scratch debate, this is another "personal opinion" issue.

jamhays Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 2:19am
post #15 of 60

I do BC because fondant is too hard for me to work with. And the flavor (texture) is gross. I figure, why go to all the trouble of fondant when you're depending on the flavor of the BC underneath it all. I just cut out the fondant all together & use BC on everything.

But I've posted my nighmares w/fondant before. So mark me down to the BC club. icon_smile.gif

gateaux Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 2:36am
post #16 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhays

I do BC because fondant is too hard for me to work with. And the flavor (texture) is gross. I figure, why go to all the trouble of fondant when you're depending on the flavor of the BC underneath it all. I just cut out the fondant all together & use BC on everything.

But I've posted my nighmares w/fondant before. So mark me down to the BC club. icon_smile.gif

I am a BC gal, I guess, I do want to try the MMF. I have taken a fondant classe and enjoyed it. I need lots o' practice. I just dont particularly like the taste either. When I do cakes for our family if it's a kid cake it's BC if its an adult cake I use either Ganache or Marzipan.

I found that to smooth out buttercream I use a Viva Towel and a 2" kitchen paint brush and it gives me a really nice look. You can see the Blue Bunny in my photos.

snarkybaker Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 2:48am
post #17 of 60

I am on the verge of refusing to do anything other than fondant for sculpted and wedding cakes. I am a neurotic perfectionist, and even though my icing is very smooth, I can always see the flaws, and it drives me nuts.

So I definitely prefer to work with fondant for my own mental health.

stikykitty Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 2:51am
post #18 of 60

Im still pretty new to cake decorating but im definitely a fondant girl. I use ganache as much as i can under the fondant to avoid using buttercream. Cant stand buttercream and neither does my family. Every cake I made in class went straight to the garbage after i came home. What a waste. Tried crisco only, butter only and half and half still didnt like. My family and friends have mostly asked for wipped cream! Yummi! Im surprised i hear a lot about buttercream and fondant but i dont really hear about wipped cream. I know some weather doesnt allow whipped cream to be ideal but i still dont hear too much about it.

karensue Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:01am
post #19 of 60

I like the look of fondant, but prefer the taste of buttercream. I'm not really a frosting eater anyway. I always put a good layer of buttercream under my fondant. I too, like countrykittie, have found that a thicker buttercream is a little easier. I also have found that it just takes time to get it really smooth and I use all the tools, VIVA papertowel, foam roller, fondant smoother, warm spatula and it seems to get me a nice, smooth finish. Check my pic of the cake with the calla lilies--it's smoothed buttercream.

Claudine1976 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:02am
post #20 of 60

I think Im the only person in the whole-wide-world who hates the taste of bc! butter or crisco (worst) taste too greasy for me, Love fondant or merengue (boiled sugar and eggs). always take the fat tasting icing out of my piece of cake... I use dulce de leche a lot instead of bc...

youngestdecorator Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:04am
post #21 of 60

I'n so different, I am all the way a buttercream kind of guy. I just can't stand to work w/th fondant, me and buttercream have made peace w/th each other, I am seeing less and less flaws each time, guess i'm getting better? i've taken fondant classes and i could never get the stupid creases out, how they got there idk? But i am not a fan of buttercream, ironic i know. I threw my cake class creations away too. Lol.

prterrell Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:01am
post #22 of 60

I only use fondant for molding flowers and figures - I use buttercream for everything else. The look of fondant is neat, but it tastes terrible.

nglez09 Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 3:43am
post #23 of 60

I hate using BC, maybe because I suck at it? icon_rolleyes.gif

hula1974 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:23pm
post #24 of 60

For first timers, which do you think is easier to tackle:
BC with the VIVAs or Fondant?

CristinaB Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:33pm
post #25 of 60

I really like both! I usually use buttercream under fondant, so to me it's the best of both worlds--good and smooth, but tasty! I've learned how to make buttercream really smooth with a foam roller, and love that look too.

patrincia Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:37pm
post #26 of 60

I adore the flavor and performance of IMBC (never crusting BC). I really like the appearance of fondant, and have been practicing with homemade fondant (not MMF)... haven't perfected it enough yet.

ssunshine564 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:38pm
post #27 of 60

Fondant is my choice. Buttercream is not my friend.

thecakemaker Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:43pm
post #28 of 60

I do both. Everyone loves my buttercream but many can't get past the texture of the fondant. I'm getting better at smoothing my buttercream except for the tops of large cakes. . .

Debbie

chinadoll652003 Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:51pm
post #29 of 60

BC all the way for me! I agree it's very sweet and I don't eat alot of sweets (I know...how can I make cakes then) but I hate the taste and texture of Fondant.

I used to have alot of trouble with smoothing my BC also but I've found if I add a little light corn syrup to it, it smooths much easier and I love,love,love the viva towel method.

BCJean Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 5:57pm
post #30 of 60

I am buttercream, all the way!. I have worked with fondant some for pearls and butterflies but it looks fake to me. I also don't like the drying time.
I guess I am not a perfectionist when it comes to the decorating. If it looks like what I wanted it to, I am happy. If there is a wave in the icing along the way, I am ok with that, it is icing. The cake has to taste super and I don't want to have to disassemble it to eat it. Slice right through that baby and serve it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%