Assorted Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By ShirleyW Updated 5 Apr 2007 , 3:40pm by ShirleyW

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 4:36am
post #1 of 32

Everyone seems to be asking about or making gumpaste Calla Lilies for Easter. I am doing Roses, these are for a demo on the All In One Rose I am doing for our cake club meeting on Thursday.
LL

31 replies
dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 4:41am
post #2 of 32

Just beautiful, as always your work is so good!!

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 4:44am
post #3 of 32

WOW Such beautiful flowers!!!

ShirleyW Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 4:56am
post #4 of 32

Thank you. I love working with gumpaste flowers, relaxing and satisfying when they come out the way you had planned.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:06am
post #5 of 32

Those look so real Shirley. You do wonderful work. Wish I lived by you so I could come see you make these.

ShirleyW Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:11am
post #6 of 32

Thanks Joanne. Now all three of you who have posted are in California. You need to get a caravan together and come take a class sometime. We could play tourist in San Francisco while you were here. icon_biggrin.gif

laly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laly Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:15am
post #7 of 32

Wao Shirley, they are beautiful!!!

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:19am
post #8 of 32

I'm half asleep Shirley, I just commented on your posting in the gallery as they caught my eye! I didn't even realize that these were yours but I should have know. My apologies... blame it on a severe lack of sleep. I posted a question as to how did you do the two-tone leaves on the ivy?

Thanks!

- Paula

PS - I've not forgotten that I owe you a response yet on image software. I was looking into some of the scrap booking software as I notice they're pretty cheap (under a hundred, some under 50) and a lot of folks here use them too. Sam's club has one that I got for $62 or $67. I've not actually tried it yet because I've been so busy baking.... one cake last week, 3 the week before that, 4 this week.... I love decorating but I'm plumb getting exhausted! I'll let you know soon... hopefully!

ShirleyW Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:27am
post #9 of 32

Thanks Laly, and thanks Paula. I posted an answer to your question in the gallery. The Ivy leaves were painted with a mixture of Moss green and yellow dusts thinned with Everclear. No hurry on the photo programs. Just some day when you think of it. Go to bed, get some sleep.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:28am
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

Thank you. I love working with gumpaste flowers, relaxing and satisfying when they come out the way you had planned.

Now that is a great idea! I would love to come up there. In fact I may just do that someday. thumbs_up.gif

ikbush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ikbush Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:36am
post #11 of 32

They look so real! Very professional. Congradulations!

ShirleyW Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:49am
post #12 of 32

Thank you.

cinderella73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderella73 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:54am
post #13 of 32

WOW! Your flowers are beautiful icon_biggrin.gif Great job thumbs_up.gif

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 6:27am
post #14 of 32

Simply gorgeous!!

I love the bold red of the rose!! It's perfect. How did you get it that deep color? If you use too much color doesn't the paste get sticky? I haven't made that dark red yet, but I want to try.

I think any bride would be thrilled to carry a boquet of these down the aisle. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for sharing!

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 8:15am
post #15 of 32

Beautiful as always

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 12:31pm
post #16 of 32

Gorgeous! I wish I could make gumpaste flowers! I can't get the dang stuff rolled out near that thin! Maybe one day I'll have time to actually sit and practice...or take a class!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:33pm
post #17 of 32

Shirley, your flowers are exquisite, always so beautiful.

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:41pm
post #18 of 32

your flowers are gorgeous as is all of your work!

ShirleyW Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:27pm
post #19 of 32

Thank you everyone, glad you liked them. Our cake club donates birthday cakes once a month for CASA (court appointed special advocates) for children in the foster care system so they will be remembered on their special day. The roses will be raffled at the end of the demo and the money raised goes to help with CASA.

ShirleyW Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:29pm
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkisInOkinawa

Simply gorgeous!!

I love the bold red of the rose!! It's perfect. How did you get it that deep color? If you use too much color doesn't the paste get sticky? I haven't made that dark red yet, but I want to try.

I think any bride would be thrilled to carry a boquet of these down the aisle. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Diana,
The gumpaste is colored first with paste or gel colors in a lighter shade than you want the finished flower, then the flowers themselves are dried and are colored with petal dust applied dry so there is no way the gumpaste will get sticky. For the red I mixed two colors Poppy Red and Crystal Colors shade called Red Velvet. Then the flowers are steamed to set the color and add a bit of shine.

ShirleyW Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:35pm
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

Gorgeous! I wish I could make gumpaste flowers! I can't get the dang stuff rolled out near that thin! Maybe one day I'll have time to actually sit and practice...or take a class!

You can, it just takes the right recipe for the gumpaste and the correct tools to work with. A class is always helpful because you can ask questions as you go along, but you can teach yourself from books and DVDs if you have everything you need to work with. I use Nic Lodge's Tylose gumpaste recipe.
http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

And here is a link to a basic gumpaste tool kit.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-54056.html

Dayzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayzie Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 6:22pm
post #22 of 32
Quote:

Thank you everyone, glad you liked them. Our cake club donates birthday cakes once a month for CASA (court appointed special advocates) for children in the foster care system so they will be remembered on their special day. The roses will be raffled at the end of the demo and the money raised goes to help with CASA.

What a great idea! I'm a CASA here and have been thinking about doing something like that.

Your flowers are BEAUTIFUL!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 6:23pm
post #23 of 32

Gorgeous work!!

Oh how I wish I was closer to CA. icon_smile.gif

ShirleyW Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 6:32pm
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayzie

Quote:

What a great idea! I'm a CASA here and have been thinking about doing something like that.

Your flowers are BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you. And thank you for being a CASA home, we need more people like you.

ShirleyW Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 6:33pm
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Gorgeous work!!

I do too, but I know there are wonderful sugar artists in Texas. They must teach as well. How about Glenda Valdez or Bronwen Weber?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 2:34am
post #26 of 32
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Gorgeous work!!

I do too, but I know there are wonderful sugar artists in Texas. They must teach as well. How about Glenda Valdez or Bronwen Weber?

Neither are local to me, so if I had money for the classes I would have to come up wih hotel money as well. I'm gonna take a Nic Lodge class next year I hope. icon_smile.gif

ShirleyW Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:48am
post #27 of 32

That's my problem too living in California. I have to pay round trip flights, motel, food, shuttles to and from, plus the class fee. I spent over a thousand dollars to go back for Nic's class. Was it worth it? You bet! You will love his class, he is a great instructor, friendly and patient.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:00am
post #28 of 32

I love San francisco, and I love your work, so when is YOUR class?, I'm in...

kms2402 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kms2402 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 4:00am
post #29 of 32

Beautiful! I am doing an Engagement cake for next week and need lots of flowers for it....I could only dream of mine looking as good as yours!

Lindsayu83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindsayu83 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 2:14pm
post #30 of 32
Quote:

They never some out the way I planned! I get so frustrating with flowers of all kinds, gumpaste, RI, BC. I guess I need to practice more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%