Going To Try Toba's Icing, Can I Pipe It/decorate With It?

Baking By projectqueen Updated 26 Mar 2006 , 2:29pm by mjones17

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 7

I'm going to ice these cookies with a solid color and then would like to decorate them with some detail in another color. Can I use Toba's icing for this?

Do I just pipe a border and then fill in like with Antonia's recipe? Can I pipe detail on top once they are dry? Approx. how long for first layer to dry before I can do details? Thanks.

6 replies
lcdmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcdmarie Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 3:21am
post #2 of 7

I wanted to try that too.
So I thought i'd give you a bumpicon_wink.gif

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 3:40am
post #3 of 7

Just wanted to warn you it tastes like pure butter...........

LaylasMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaylasMommy Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 3:47am
post #4 of 7

I don't think that it tastes like butter.... in fact the recipe doesn't call for any butter. However, I normally add a flavoring to the icing in addition to the ingredients it calls for.... usually just vanilla.

I would say that it is harder to decorate with, and seems to take a little longer to dry (once thinned down to fill in). I love the way that it keeps it shine.

My DH will not eat cookies with Antonia's recipe -- no matter what flavor I add -- he dislikes the texture and taste (to each his own). But, he loves the ones I make with Toba's recipe.

Good luck!!!!

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 3:48am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones17

Just wanted to warn you it tastes like pure butter...........

Are you thinking of something else maybe Alice's icing? Toba's has no butter in it.

I have used this for decorating. I make the icing and pull a half cup of icing out, color it, and add more powder sugar to it to thicken it up. I'll use that to outline and then use the runnier icing to flood. You can do detailing with it. Personally, I don't get the detail I do with royal icing but my kids and I prefer the taste and texture of it over the royal.

kos

lcdmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcdmarie Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 4:11am
post #6 of 7

thank you!
I am going to make some bunnys and easter eggs shaped.
This will be my first attempt at decorating cookies so wish me luck.

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 7

I am thinking of Toba Garrett's French Vanilla BC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%