Bitter Ganache

Decorating By mixaleena Updated 21 Apr 2005 , 11:11pm by peg818

mixaleena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixaleena Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 7

Hey...how do you combat the bitter flavor of a ganache? Maybe I am not using a very good recipe, but I even use milk chocolate because I hate the bitter flavor of semi sweet....and it tastes great when it is first made, but after a couple hours it develops a bitter flavor...(I use a hershey bar by the way)

I suppose I am looking for a frosting more like Portillo's chocolate cake, anyone have a recipe close to that? (I have searched)

Thanks.
Mixee

6 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 7

sorry to hear that.... I havent tried it yet.... what else was in your recipe? just wondering.... cuz since you used milk choc which is what I would do for the same reason as you, something may have to be adjusted up....or down....

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 7

are you scorching the cream?

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 7

I am not sure why your ganache is turning bitter, but I know that you can crumb coat your cake with buttercream, and the sweetness from the frosting should complement the ganache. You may want to try milk chocolate chips or candy melts, it may be that the hershey candy bar isn't made for melting?

missjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missjane Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 7

I always use quality chocolate in my ganache and personally, i dont think Hersheys makes the grade.

Try using a better quality chocolate like valrhona or callebaut or even the ghirardelli and you wont be disapointedicon_smile.gif

mixaleena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixaleena Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 7

flayvurdfun: I simply used little less than half of a little container of heavy cream (I don't know how big that is...maybe 4oz?) and an entire 12oz bar of Hershey's chocolate and a tiny splash of Wilton Clear Vanilla...

msmeg: no scorching.

missjane I have never heard of the ones that you mentioned (valrhona or callebaut) but I have tried Ghirardelli and that didn't go well with me either. I will have to scout out those others you mentioned.

Like I said, maybe it is not really a ganache that I am looking for...maybe more like Portillo's chocolate cake frosting...anyone familiar with it? I am looking for a recipe like it.

Thanks for all the ideas...
Mixee

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 7

try mixing some of your buttercream in with the ganache and see if it takes the bitterness away. It seems like you just don't like ganache, because although if made with dark chocolate its not sweet i have never tasted bitter with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%