Marzipan Bumblebees

Decorating By imsamiam Updated 18 Apr 2007 , 10:57pm by KHalstead

imsamiam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imsamiam Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make some marzipan bumblebees but I'm unsure how to get the bumblebees to be black and yellow striped. Do I paint them and if so, with what? I thought about coloring the marzipan but then the bees would be pieced together instead of one unit. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you inadvance!

6 replies
nsouza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsouza Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 7

you could make black ovals and then stake a strip of yellow marzipan and apply it to the black ball creating your yellow stripes. If you want to paint them you would need the body to be white and then use gel food coloring or food markers and color on the stripes icon_confused.gif

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 7

I did bumble bees for a grooms cake for a bee keeper. I colored the marzipan yellow and used black piping gel (from the small tubes) for the eyes and stripes, also used almonds for the wings and suspended them from pieces of spaghetti. They looked like they were flying, I think I got the idea from the "Cake Bible".

I will have to find that picture and put it in my photos.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 7

don't know about marzipan ones.....but if you're just wanting to make edible ones I know a cute way......take a yellow gumdrop and cut it in half then take a tootsie roll and slice it into four equal slices...then take one half of the yellow gumdrop and stick the sticky cut side onto the slice of tootsie roll, then add the other half of the gumdrop to the other side of the tootsie roll slice...and then stick two sliced almonds into it for wings...then you have a yellow with dk. brown stripe and wings...they're adorable to use on cakes and cupcakes and so forth.........if you HAVE to do the marzipan, could you just use a paintbrush and brush a black stripe onto the body of the bee with some americolor gels?

darlene_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlene_000 Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 7

Ive done bee's twice.... once for my cupcakes and once for the pooh cake (Both in my photo's).

For the cupcakes I made yellow balls, then painted black stripes... I didn't like that at all.

For the Pooh cake I made yellow balls for the body, and applied very small black strips of black fondant (or in your case marzipan). I think it looked way better.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 7

I have to say....I tried KHalstead's method for making gumdrop bumblebees (Winnie the Pooh shower cake and cupcakes in my photos) and they were SO fun and easy! Everyone raved about them. They were adorable. Good luck with whatever you try and please post pics.

KHalstead...I'm not sure if I properly thanked you for the tips you gave me on making these. You rock! ((((((hugs to you)))))) icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 10:57pm
post #7 of 7

awwwww.......thanks so much!! Glad I could help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%