Piping Chocolate Ganache

Decorating By nernan Updated 16 Dec 2013 , 9:05pm by MyFairDiva

nernan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nernan Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 1:33am
post #1 of 27

Hi everyone, its been a while since i've been on the boards, but i am 7 mths pregnant and have been out of the decorating scene.
I need to know a recipe for chocolate ganache, but it must set hard and be thick enough to hold its shape after piping.

26 replies
funfoodie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funfoodie Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 1:59am
post #2 of 27

Are you talking about actually piping using ganache? Ganache generally isn't used for piping. If you need to pipe with chocolate, you can melt some quality chocolate chips (I use Callebaut) over a "double boiler". I've also used the higher quality Wilton Candy Melts and that worked fine. Let it cool slightly before using.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 4:52am
post #3 of 27

I just piped with some candy melts this week. I did this on some cupcakes and it worked great. I also used a little shortning melted with the chocolate to dip my cupcakes in. It dried to a nice hard finish.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy. icon_razz.gif

cookieclaire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieclaire Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 6:35am
post #4 of 27

Hi Nernan,
I am not sure what kind of piping you need to do but I used this recipe to frost(when warm) and decorate(cooled) cupcakes. it set up nicely.

3/4 pounds (12oz) semi sweet chocolate
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp heavy cream
1/4 cup milk
2 tbsp unsalted butter
Place chocolate in a bowl. combine heavy cream, milk and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. When the mixture begins to boil, remove from heat and pour mixture over the chocolate pieces and let sit for 3 minutes. whisk it until smooth.

For firm piping leave it at room temperature to thicken or put in fridge for about 30min

Hope this helps
Claire

funfoodie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funfoodie Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 9:03am
post #5 of 27

Or, if you just want to make a firm ganache, it's just a matter of incorporating air and cooling it down.

The ganache recipe I use is simple but very versatile.
Equal parts chocolate and heavy cream, with a little unsalted butter to taste. For example:

1 lb. dark chocolate chips
16 oz. heavy cream
4 Tbs. unsalted butter

Scald the heavy cream, then pour into the chocolate. Allow the cream to melt the chocolate.

(If you want to use this as a pourable ganache, also add a little corn syrup -- 2 Tbsp. if you're using the amounts above, then whisk until well incorporated, but you don't whisk in too much air or you'll get bubbles. Then you can pour it over your crumb-coated cake, etc.)

For a spreadable/pipeable ganache, whisk with an electric mixer, preferably a KA because it can take a long time. I was required to this by hand when I was in school, but it was very painful icon_surprised.gif. The key here is to incorporate a LOT of air -- otherwise, it will be rock solid and unspreadable. You may need to periodically place the bowl over an ice bath or place in the fridge to firm up slightly.

If it gets too firm to use, re-melt it over a hot water bath and repeat the mixing process. I put leftover ganache in the freezer, then make it usuable again this way.

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 9:48am
post #6 of 27

For the dark chocolate ganache on this cake which we also piped with I made it like this.

Melt 600gr dark chocolate then slowly whisk in the 400mls cream.

We poured it while it was warm.

Allowed the rest to cool and used it for piping.

THe others photos of this cake are in the gallery if you want to see.
LL

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 10:44am
post #7 of 27

Ganache is great for piping!

I used Cheftaz's ganache recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2116-0-Chocolate-Ganache-1.html

I chilled it one hour, per the instructions, then used it for piping on this cake:
LL

dlp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlp Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 27

HollyPj.....i use a simple recipe for ganache for my cheesecakes....1 cup chocolate chips to 1/2 cup whipping cream

but i am going to try the recipe you use......and since i have never made white chocoate ganache...( this may be a stupid question).... does the butter and the sugar go in with the white chocoate>>> icon_confused.gif

thanks....Donna

HollyPJ Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 27

Sorry- I've never made the white chocolate version of that recipe! However, I think you would combine the chocolate, sugar, and butter. You could PM Cheftaz for clarification.

dlp Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 6:03pm
post #10 of 27

just sent a pm to cheftaz......will post the answer when i get it!! Donna

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 27

I thought butter made white chocolate seize. I always heard you had to add crisco to white chocolate, but the ganache may be different.

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 7:54pm
post #12 of 27

Hi folks. For the white chocolate ganache as per the recipe http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2116-0-Chocolate-Ganache-1.html
I omit the sugar. Simply because it is sweeter than the dark chocolate I use. I do still add the butter because I love the shine it gives

So this is what I use for white chocolate ganache

White chocolate use nearly double the chocolate to cream
240 ml cream
455 g white chocolate
1.5 tbls unsalted butter

Method the same just omitting the sugar
Enjoy
p.s HollyPJ-- Can't see that cake enough times with the finished ganache piped on. It is great. Thank You

HollyPJ Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 8:34pm
post #13 of 27

Thanks for a great recipe, Cheftaz! The butter really makes all the difference in the appearance. I used to be disappointed when I'd refrigerate a ganache-covered cake and it would get dull-looking. The butter keeps it so shiny!

dlp Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 8:58pm
post #14 of 27

Thanks cheftaz for getting back to me and this thread......i appreciate your help.....

and i agree with you about the pic of the cake!!!!! Donna icon_biggrin.gif

cheftaz Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 9:11pm
post #15 of 27

You're welcome Donna. Just let us know how it worked out for you and a pic would be nice.
Rick

dky Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 12:24am
post #16 of 27

Traditional ganache is just chocolate (can be white, dark or milk) and cream mixed together at the right time, occassionally butter is added for a change in consistency. If using the right chocolate and cream there is absolutely no need for the sugar.... what purpose does it serve?

I am a little puzzled.

cheftaz Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 5:10am
post #17 of 27

A really good bittersweet chocolate is delicious but can be too bitter for children. Adding the sugar takes some of the bitter out hence making it delicious even for kids Using a bittersweet chocolate and adding a small amount of sugar is like using semi-sweet chocolate to the kids tastes. I like bittersweet but the kids like semi so now I have created the best of both worlds!!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:

and cream mixed together at the right time

HUH????

Butter is added to keep the ganache shiny even after refrigeration. Make 2 batches--1 with butter and 1 without...refrigerate til set and then take them out and see which one looks the best

dky Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 1:30pm
post #18 of 27

mine always stays gloosy even after setting and refrigeration!!

The reason I said "at the right time" is that many people throw it all in together which can often cause a problem with the chocolate. So it is best to melt the chooclate first and then slowly whisk in the cream.

If using DARK, WHITE OR MILK buds they are never bitter !

cheftaz Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 2:40pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dky

mine always stays gloosy even after setting and refrigeration!!

The reason I said "at the right time" is that many people throw it all in together which can often cause a problem with the chocolate. So it is best to melt the chooclate first and then slowly whisk in the cream.

If using DARK, WHITE OR MILK buds they are never bitter !

I'm glad icon_smile.gif yours stays glossy. Could be because detective.gif you use the "buds" I can't speak for them cuz I have never ever used them. I have only used large slabs of "Callebaut." "real chcolate". Sorry but I must disagree with your method (at least with real chocolate) don't know about buds.
It's best to heat cream and butter and sugar (if using) to boiling and then pour over the chocolate and let stand. Then slowly stir from centre of bowl outwards.
Doesn't matter anyway because "what works for one doesn't always for for all"

dlp Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 11:14pm
post #20 of 27

just wanted to say that i now have a new found respect for those of you who can actually make roses out of ganache icon_eek.gif .....allllllllllll afternoon i have been trying.......i either would have it too stiff or too soft..........up until this point all i had used ganache for was to have a border around my chocoloate cheesecake .......

i have given up for the day icon_sad.gif ....but will try again....(but not with that chocolate....it lies at the bottom of my trash can......... icon_mad.gif frustration finally set in) icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

i'm sure its like everything else..practice is needed.........and i'm too stubborn not to try again.....but i sure do admire those of you who can already do it!!!!! Donna

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 5:28am
post #21 of 27

I started using CHEFTAZ's recipe for pipable ganache and have been VERY happy with it. I make ice cream cakes. It holds up well in the freezer...it doesn't discolor.

Cheftaz...question for you. I've been using semi sweet chocolate and find it to be very rich. Great for piping, however, I'm thinking about trying a milk chocolate. I'm looking for something "a little less intense" for the overall icing on the cake. Your ganache, in my borders, really enhances the cake, but I'm on the search for a mild chocolate ganache icing. Right now, I'm making a ganache with the Wilton melts for the cake. Then, of course, your pipable ganache borders. In your experience, what kind of chocolate would you recommend in a ganache for the cake to lessen the intensity a little?
thanks
Pam

cheftaz Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 6:10am
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Quote:

I started using CHEFTAZ's recipe for pipable ganache and have been VERY happy with it.

Thank you and am glad you are VERY happy with it.

Quote:
Quote:

In your experience, what kind of chocolate would you recommend in a ganache for the cake to lessen the intensity a little?

That will definitely be less intense. It will give it more of a candy bar style chocolate flavour. I can't remember the proportions I use for milk chocolate but I believe it was somewhere between the "dark and white" chocolate amounts and you don't need the sugar with milk chocolate. Good luck and let me know how you made out with it

nernan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nernan Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 8:53am
post #23 of 27

thanx everyone, it was a rush job in the end and i made bc and coloured it,have some great recipies now for ganache. Thats why i come back here.

suzyqbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzyqbaking Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 7:39pm
post #24 of 27

Hi Cheftaz, quick question what is your Chocolate ganache recipe? I tried to go to the link but it says it cannot be found.

maggsg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggsg Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 3:06pm
post #25 of 27

The link To ChefTAz for his ganache receipe does not link.

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 3:22pm
post #26 of 27

AThose two chocolate cakes look absolutely scrumptious!!! I would love to have a slice

MyFairDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyFairDiva Posted 16 Dec 2013 , 9:05pm
post #27 of 27

AI thought I would bump this thread up to post the right link: http://cakecentral.com/a/chocolate-ganache-1

I was looking for a "pipeable" ganache for some cupcakes I need to make and this was the first thread that came up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%