Martini Shaped Cake

Decorating By havenleigh Updated 3 Apr 2007 , 2:09pm by carterl

havenleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havenleigh Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 7

i have a friend who wants me to make him a martini shaped cake for his birthday. i did a small cake to scale but not too pleased with it. other friends saw the sample cake and said it looked great. does anyone have any ideas as to what i can do? i would like suggestions on not only design but decorating it as well. i would like to make it look like a clear glass with sapphire blue liquid, but not sure how this could be accomplished. i'm having a mental block. please help!!!

6 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 7

is this 3-d or sheet?

now if one was very talented w/ sugar work, one could fashion a martini glass entirely out of sugar and then coat inside of bowl blue and plop in a cake.

in the absence of that talent.

base: wood rounds stacked and screwed together and even bigger square of wood.

stem: large wooden dowel or copper tube

bowl: carved cake or a upside down wondermold. cover in a sapphire blue fondant and then brush on clear piping gel.

(at least this gets the brain cells jump started.)

havenleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havenleigh Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 7

we were thinking more along the lines of sheet cake vs 3-d. but that idea is fabulous except the party is on wednesday. yes...i got a late start but also a late notice. thanks for the help though doug, much appreciated. any ideas for sheet cake?

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 7

What if you did a Gelatin Glass???? Make your sheet cake look like a table..including napkin with logo, ashtray, anything you'd find at a bar on a table. Fashion your wire into a martini glass shape round top V sides down to single stem circle bottom. Dip the base into the clear gelatin and the top into the blue gelatin

carterl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carterl Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 7

The jello idea for a glass sounds great, but I'd be careful with the heat and humidity in San Antonio. I remember seeing a glass fashioned out of gelatin in one of the Food Networks Challenge episodes (Christmas cake one) and they had trouble keeping the jello stiff. I think I'd get a wooden paper towel holder for the base and add the shaped cake on top of that. Just fondant the cake and paint the sides to resemble the blue liquid. You could even add a little olive on a toothpick for special effect. Good luck! I'd love to see your picture when you finish. Laura

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 7

What about making a half ball cake cutting it in half making that the top of the glass then carving the base and stem out of more cake.... cover in fondant. To make it "clear looking. you would have to ask maybe Doug on maybe "brushing" a gel color over it to look shiny like glass.
Just an Idea. HTH

carterl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carterl Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 7

I was thinking more about your martini cake. What if you carved out the middle of the bowl shaped cake (sort of like a flower pot cake) and left a higher ridge around the cake. Then you could melt some blue Jolly rancher candies and pour the sugar mixture in the center to resemble the drink part. Just a thought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%