Help Me With My Teapot Cake!!!

Decorating By rigama Updated 25 Mar 2006 , 5:57pm by dara64

rigama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rigama Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 9

I'm having the hardest time in the world with the handle and spout of my teapot cake. I simply cannot figure out how to get the fondant to maintain it's shape as it dries. Is there a trick to this?

I'm not wanting to do anything too facny...just a nicely shaped handle and spout is all I'm looking for here! Any tips would be SOOOOOO appreciated!

Rigama

8 replies
Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 9

I just let my fondant air dry for a day or two, but if it is still too heavy you could add some sugar paiste or gum tex, that will make it harder, I have also read a tread about using powdered denture cream to make fondant harden up...

Hope that helps

good luck

rigama Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you, but the hardening isn't the issue. It's that I simply can't figure out a way to get it to hold it's shape. Right now I have the handle drying over a large plastic serving spoon, with toothpicks in both ends to get it to hold that swirly shape. I'm working on the spout now...possibly drying over a small funnel? But it doesn't have the curve I'm looking for.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 9

If you are having trouble with the fondant you could switch to ice cream cone for the spout and sugar cookies for the handle. I've seen both used on this site.

I'm making two tea pots this weekend. I don't make the objects bigger than need. I dry the handles lying flat on a foil lined plate. For the spouts I make a little cup out of foil and dry them tip down ( so the tooth picks are up) inside the cup. Just make sure the foil is smooth inside since the fondant picks up any sharp edges as imprints.

good luck with your project

mommachris

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 4:37am
post #5 of 9

I like to mix my fondant with gumpaste. It worked great for the handle I did for a purse cake.

The other idea of using sugar cookies would work too. icon_smile.gif

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 9

You could try candy melts,pine it out on some wax paper, that should give you the swerly look and if you do it thick enough it will be hard enough to push in the cake....

Just a thought. I have some rainbows in my pics that I made that way.

dpwmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dpwmom Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 12:52pm
post #7 of 9

I use the ball pans for the teapot cake. I make the spout in the shape that I want, then I cover one side of the ball pan with saran and I press the spout onto the ball pan. Then it is pointing up. I have had to put a toothpick into the spout to keep it steady at times (if it was made a bit big) but it usually stays just fine. I dry it on the ball pan because then when I put it on the cake it has the right angle on the base of the spout. Gumpaste also works well to dry it faster. Then when I am ready to bake my cake it is hard enough to take off the pan and will keep it's shape on a plate.

rigama Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for your tips, ladies!

I like the idea of using an ice-cream cone for the spout. I'm drying my fondant spout now, but if it doesn't work I think I'll make a quick trip to the store for cones (and chocolate ice-cream, and sauce... icon_razz.gif )

I'll let you all know how it turns out and I may(gasp) post a picture. That is, if I'm okay with the way it looks!

Rigama

dara64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dara64 Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 9

I used gumpaste for my teapot handle and spout. I molded the handle right on a handle of a real teapot same with spout and let them dry right on it.They came out great, thinner is better it dries smoother and is light weight. I put a little cornstarch on the parts of the real teapot so the gumpaste was easy to remove. good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%