Yikes!!! I Need Help With Mmf

Decorating By CIndymm4 Updated 2 May 2005 , 4:17am by AngelWendy

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 15

Okay, so I decided today was the day to test out the MMF recipe. I thought is was going really well until I started mising the stuff up......I make bread by hand so I thought when the recipe said, knead it together that it was suppose to be done by hand.....but it was so sticky and I hand both hands completely coated in this mess but managed to add a little more powered sugar, I ended up having to add about another 1/3 cup,(I'm thinking maybe the Kitchen Aid with the dough hook next time)....well I finally get the stuff mixed but as I am trying to knead it it keeps sticking to my pastry mat.....should I be putting crisco on it like I do with store bought fondant??? Thanks for any pointers!! By the way, it tastes great!!!!

14 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 15

Putting crisco on your hands and work surface will deifinitely help with the stickiness. I was told that using the dough hook in your mixer is also an option but I haven't tried that just yet!

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 15

Okay, well I have one more batch to make so I'll try the dough hook and when trying to roll it out I'll try the crisco....thanks!

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 15

When I rolled mine out I used a little cornstarch on the mat.

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 15

I used my dough hook until the mixer sounded like it was going to die - then did the rest by hand. It did a good job tho - God bless my Kitchen Aid!

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 2:12am
post #6 of 15

Yep, I'm wondering if the dough hook is going to work..

If any of you try that, please let me know..

~AngelWendy

greencargirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greencargirl Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 15

i know what you mean about the sticky mess all over your hands... i forgot to take my engagement ring off before i did this and was picking out marshmallow pieces for about a week... i just took it in to get professionally cleaned and was almost tempted to warn them about marshmallow inside... the stuff is so messy... i can't wait till i get a kitchen aid (hopefully for my shower) then i won't have to deal with it anymore!

zoozieqv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoozieqv Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 15

I always use my hands just greased up really well with crisco. However, I have to use a ton of cornstarch and sometimes it still sticks to the counter or mat! Then, when I finally get it rolled out and not stuck I have to try and brush off a ton of cornstarch. However, it seems if I add more powdered sugar then, it gets too dry and it cracks. I am still experimenting to get the right thing.....

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 1:18am
post #9 of 15

Rather than using cornstarch or more powdered sugar on your counter or mat, try spreading a very scant amount of crisco on same. It prevents sticking just like on your hands and makes it extremely easy to work with. I did this from my first attempt with mmf and have never had a moment's trouble with stickiness. Good luck icon_smile.gif

zoozieqv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoozieqv Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 1:34am
post #10 of 15

I will try that next time. Thanks for the tip.....I never get all the cornstarch off and it makes my colors lighter...
Suzanna icon_rolleyes.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 2:43am
post #11 of 15

I agree, using the crisco will definately help you out! It makes things so much easier. Adding too much sugar or corn starch will dry it out and make it crack.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 3:06am
post #12 of 15

I have not tried the mmf yet but when I have used regular fondant I smooth a very thin, barely there layer of crisco on my mat.

I great tip I learned in class is to make a powdered sugar puff (or you could use cornstarch). You get a new, CLEAN knee high stocking. Put a tablespoon or so of powdered sugar in the toe and tie a knot and cut off the excess. Pat this on the mat when you just need a light dusting of powdered sugar. This way you do not get clumps of sugar some places and none on others or add too much to the fondant so that it dries out.

I bought the cheapest hose I could find that come in a little plastic container (Walmart or Walgreens for about 50 cents). I fill it just enough so that I can keep it in the plastic container when I am done.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 3:25am
post #13 of 15

Hi crp7, that is a neat idea! I have a plastic cup with a shaker top that I've been using for my cornstarch and it works fairly well, but I think this "puff" should be a better way. Thanks for the tip! Janice

Newbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbie Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 4:19am
post #14 of 15

I completely understand your comments about the sticky mess. I was horrified and thought there's no way I was doing it the right way - I just couldn't imagine it was supposed to be so awful.

I eventually added over 1/2 C. of powdered sugar, and FINALLY it was a usable consistency. Still, I was sure there was a problem. I even posted a plea to Bunnywoman - yes, I was doing it correctly. More sugar was the only answer. On the second attempt things worked much better, and I followed everyone's Crisco on the the hands and mat suggestion - in the end I was happy and I will continue to use it. Don't give up!

Now if I could just get these Lorann flavors right..

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 2 May 2005 , 4:17am
post #15 of 15

I'm having a different problem with the MMF. I'm about half way through... mixing 16 oz melted marshmallows (a bag and a half of 10.5 oz size) with 2 T water and 2 lbs confectioner's sugar. Umm.. I have only half the sugar in it and most of it won't mix in at all - by hand nor mixer. HELP!!! Are these proportions wrong? Do I need to heat it up to get it to take more sugar? Add shortening? add water? Waht is wrong here????

I'd really appreciate some help if you get this message. Thanks!!

AngelWendy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%