7 In Oval - How Much To Charge?

Business By pope77 Updated 30 Mar 2006 , 7:31pm by smashcakes

pope77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pope77 Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 11

I have my very first cake order for a 7 in oval cake. I will be doing a basket weave with flowers on it. I am trying to figure out how much to charge. I don't want to charge too much and scare her off, and then others will think I am too expensive....but I don't want to charge too little and jip myself....

10 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 11

If you're doing BC flowers....to cover the top and it's two layers, I wouldn't go any less than say 30 bucks

doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 11

A lot of the suggestions are generally to check and see what the going rate for a cake like that would be from a local bakery. Prices vary sometimes greatly according to area you are in.

Another rule of thumb is to calculate up all of your costs for doing it and multiply that by 3.

Look at some web sites and see what they charge! A local bakery here in Colorado charges $20 for a cake that feeds 10-12 (which is about what the oval does), with an additional $2 for a filling. That is for the basic stuff. I know a lot of people will charge and additional $5 to $25 for flowers depending on how many they are doing on top.

Remember that prices go up for specialty flavors and work detail.

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 11

I am on the low side I charge $18, but basket weave is extra, so $25????

gapger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gapger Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 11

I did one(not basketweave) a few weeks ago and charged $15

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 11

I agree that it depends greatly on where you are. In the past I have called local bakeries and asked for basic prices. After you get a good reputation, you can start to raise your prices a little.

In my area, I can get about $12-15 for the basic oval cake. I can do the Wilton oval with basketweave, fence, and royal flowers for about $25.

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 11

What board do you use for an oval pan? I've never seen an oval board around here...just on the 'net.

gapger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gapger Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 11:27pm
post #8 of 11

I used a sqaure that I cut and covered. I am not a pro but it fit well in my box!

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 11:34pm
post #9 of 11

I'm $20-25 on the little ovals. This is all my area will "allow"....... I keep an arsenal of flowers in egg cartons and throw them on for no extra charge alot of times. I know that's crazy...but I consider it advertising for the big kahouna that might come my way because of "a few pretty flowers". icon_smile.gif

I've been putting my little ovals on an 8" circle so that I can box them.

pope77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pope77 Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks!

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 11

if they're bc flowers 20-22 i do think it really depends on where you are. if you're on the east coast, i think you could charge 30, i'm in the midwest, i too will do royal icing flowers when i'm bored and then throw them on- great way to dress up a cake, especially if you get a last minute order

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%