How Do I Not Get A Big Mountian In The Middle Of My Cakes!

Decorating By CanCakeMom Updated 25 Mar 2006 , 2:04am by jruzicka24

CanCakeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanCakeMom Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 21

When I pull my cakes out of the oven.. more often than not there is a mountian of cake in the middle... how can i avoid this!

20 replies
TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 21

What temp do you bake at??? If the oven is too hot and the cake bakes too quickly it can cause a hump. I bake at 325 and my cakes come out pretty level. If I do have a small humb I just use a paper towel to push it down.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 21

Are you using the strips around your cake? Some people put a rose nail in the middle of the cake before it goes into the oven. You have to experiment a lot to find what works for you. As soon as my cakes come out of the oven I place a clean linen towel over them and squish down slightly. A towel that won't get fuzz all over the cake. Also, if you don't use convection you need to turn your cakes halfway through baking. If you have more than one cake pan in you have to be sure the heat circulates around them. You should have at least 3 inches between cakes and all sides. Hope this helps.

CanCakeMom Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 21

I'm baking it at 350 as per the directions.. maybe i'll turn the oven down a bit for the next cake (have 2 to make this weekend)

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanCakeMom

I'm baking it at 350 as per the directions.. maybe i'll turn the oven down a bit for the next cake (have 2 to make this weekend)

Try turning your oven down and buy an oven thermometer to make sure your oven doesn't run hot. You could try the bake-even strips... I was using those, but found that when I turned my oven down I wasn't getting humps in my cakes. If you still get a small hump, just use a paper towel to push it down. If your cake isn't overbaked it should flatten with no problems.

halfbaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
halfbaked Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 21

I use the strips around the pans and it works perfect! completely level cake every time. If you have a large pan, just use multiple strips if you can't find larger ones.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 21

yes definitely turn it down to 325...invest in a thermometer to make sure that IS what the temp. really is and extend the baking time a little because of the reduced temp.

iceberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iceberg Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 6:57pm
post #8 of 21

Is it just me....but when I cook my cakes at a lower temperature, they seem to be dryer. Does anyone else notice this? I use the bake-even strips to keep my cakes level and love them!!!!

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 7:04pm
post #9 of 21

Honestly, I would use the flower nail trick. It works wonders and if you don't like that idea, have you ever just taken a piece of cardboard and pushed the middle down? That works well too, just make sure to do it when it's hot. Or you can level it. But the flower nail thing is awesome. I keep the temp at 350 degrees, I don't like it at 325 as it take way too long!! icon_mad.gif
Another thing, (I just found this out as well) Have you ever tried the Cake extender recipe??? I tried this for the first time last night w/out a flower nail and it baked so PERFECTLY even I was dumbfounded!!!!! icon_surprised.gif AND your cake comes out soooo moist. It's a little dense but sooooo good. Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

mcshay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcshay Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 7:26pm
post #10 of 21

Do you have something heavy? Like a pizza stone? My cakes rise up above the top of the pan. When they come out, I put a fuzz free towel on it and the pizza stone on top of that. When the cake cools, I flip in on the cake board. I know have a nice flat cake with no mountain. icon_biggrin.gif

ellyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellyrae Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanCakeMom

When I pull my cakes out of the oven.. more often than not there is a mountian of cake in the middle... how can i avoid this!

I used to use the strips, but I've found that when I fill a cookie sheet or large pan with an inch or two of water and put it on the rack below the cake(s), they bake with a minimum hump if any. And, they are very moist! If there is a bit of a hump (if I put too much batter in the pan), I simply trim the top off while it's still in the pan before turning it out. Then I turn it out onto wax paper over a cooling rack. Nice a flat. icon_smile.gif

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 11:18pm
post #12 of 21

There was a post on this in here very recently...

paper towel on top of your cake right after taking out of the oven and set another pan that's a bit smaller on top and set a can of corn or such on top for a few minutes...result...flat topped cake.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 11:20pm
post #13 of 21

I put the pan of waater in the oven also. It worked like a charm. I didn't want to say that again since some people wrote and said that they didn't have luck. No matter which method you use, if the cakes don't get enough heat circulating around them nothing will work. They can't be touching.

miss_Jacqueline4694 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_Jacqueline4694 Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 11:25pm
post #14 of 21

Try mixing your batter for a minute or two less. Often times a cake will form a "mountain" because it is being mixed for too long. icon_wink.gif Try this, and it should help prevent "mountain" issues, for the most part!! Happy Baking! thumbs_up.gif

Hardygirl18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hardygirl18 Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 11:28pm
post #15 of 21

I have a chocolate cake recipe that always has a hump on the top of the cake (no matter what temp. you bake it at.) but the cake is awesome.. I usually pull it out of the oven, and flip it upside down on a cooling rack.. that usually pushes it down. if there is still a bit of a hump, I just slice the top off..

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 11:35pm
post #16 of 21

Bake at about 320 degrees. or 325. Then when your cake comes out of the oven, put it on a cooling rack, and place a heavy terry towel on top of the entire top. Then puch down all over. Keep checking to see if the hump is gone. Works every time. Cake must be right from the oven though.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 11:39pm
post #17 of 21

I just level the cake when it has cooled....and feed the top to my husband! Not a problem~~~~ Am I missing something here?????

CanCakeMom Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 1:46am
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoov

I just level the cake when it has cooled....and feed the top to my husband! Not a problem~~~~ Am I missing something here?????

If it was a little hump it wouldn't be a problem.. but it's huge most of the time

about the flower nail.. i'm guessing you'd put the nail round side down and the point up.. then pour in the batter??..

if that's the case then i totally should have read this before i just poured more mix into the pan LOL

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 1:52am
post #19 of 21

I agree with baking at 325 & I always bang my pans on the counter a little to make sure all the batter is evenly disbursed.

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 1:59am
post #20 of 21

I use both the nails and bake strips on my sheet cakes. Works great everytime and I never, ever have to level cakes from there. Just ice and decorate. I also bake the cakes at a 325 degree oven. Guess all combined makes for nice level cakes for me!

jruzicka24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jruzicka24 Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 2:04am
post #21 of 21

I must be missing something to. All that you need to do is level it in the pan after it is cool and then flip it over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%