How Do I Store Flowers?

Decorating By patton78 Updated 28 Mar 2006 , 12:34pm by IHATEFONDANT

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 10

How do I store flowers for my cakes that I will be using later. I made some with Buttercream and let them harden as well as some with royal icing and let them harden. Do I store them in a container or just leave them out??

9 replies
MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 10

Buttercream flowers are best frozen until needed. Royal flowers should be stored in a warm, dry dust free atmosphere. I normally keep mine in a carboard box on top of my spare wardrobe

COLIEB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
COLIEB Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 10

For my royal icing flowers, once they harden I stack them up in tupperware, seperated by wax paper and put them in the cabinet. I lay my buttercream ones out on a cookie sheet in the fridge. icon_smile.gif Hope that helps!

Girlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Girlu Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:43am
post #4 of 10

how do i store my gumpaste flowers. Why does my gumpaste flowers sometimes not harden. Can u send me a proper recipe for gumpaste flowers at [email protected]

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 10

like everyone else has said, freeze your butter cream roses..they will last a long time!

the royal icing roses and the gum paste I keep in bakery boxes, in my storage area (which is pretty cool) I had an instructor give us a neat hint: Placing a Silica Gel pack in the box, to obsorb any moisture. I have some gum paste flowers that are over a year old still looking bright and nice!

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 10

I keep royal icing flowers in tupperware containers too. I just leave them on the wax paper that I used on the flower nail and don't pull them off that till I'm ready to use them. They stay nice and fresh for a long time (which is good, because with four kids, I only get a chance to make them about 3 times/year).

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 10

I store my royal flowers in egg cartons. Cheap! I also have to sometimes decorate at my business partners house and they are easy to transport and keep them safe.

Tweedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedy Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 2:42am
post #8 of 10

My Wilton instructor told us she uses the cross stitch thread boxes to keep her royal icing flowers in. I liked her idea and went and purchased one to keep mine in. They are great if your flowers aren't too large.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 12:23pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedy

My Wilton instructor told us she uses the cross stitch thread boxes to keep her royal icing flowers in. I liked her idea and went and purchased one to keep mine in. They are great if your flowers aren't too large.

Those things are also great to keep your tips in too!!! I even put the numbers of the tip over each cell with a scripto...its great for half blind people like me who can't read the numbers on the tips without a magnifying glass!

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 12:34pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlu

how do i store my gumpaste flowers. Why does my gumpaste flowers sometimes not harden. Can u send me a proper recipe for gumpaste flowers at [email protected]

Gumpaste needs to dry thoroughly. Humidity will effect that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%