Quick Question Re: Masonite Boards...

Decorating By llj68 Updated 22 Apr 2005 , 3:43pm by momsandraven

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 8

I just got a 14 x 20 for my 1/2 sheet cakes.

Do I still use a cardboard board and tape it or something to the masonite?

When they cut the cake--if I don't need cardboard--will the knife damage the board?

I do use heavy duty cake board liners (the kind that is on a roll and cut to fit the board).

I'm sorry I dissappeared for this past week. My little one is really sick with double ear infections and we have literally been to the doctors every day for the past week. It's still not clearing--poor baby.

Anyway--thanks for your help!

Lisa

7 replies
peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 8

I hate ear infections! I feel so bad for my kids when they have one. I have never used a cake board on my masonite boards. I just haven't thought og it. i guess it would work if you tape it good. I'd be afraid it would slide off. I wrap my boards in clear contact paper, and have never had a problem. Cutting it hasn't even damages the contact paper.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 8

sorry to hear about the little one...... I hope things get better!

as for your question.... Are masonite boards heavy?? I have only used cardboard but I havent had to worry about the weddings and stuff... but to protect the board (they arent cheap) I would put the regular cardboard on top fixed to the mboard with icing... but thats me.... I would want the sturdiness of the one board, but the convience of saving it too.... now I am sure all the other fine fine decorators here that do wedding cakes can answer better.....
I'm sorry I couldnt be of help!

peacockplace Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 8

Sorry for all the type os. I've got two boys running around playing ninja turtles and a cake in the oven. I forgot to say that if you cover your masonite boards in contact paper you can wash them right off with hot soapy water! thumbs_up.gif

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 8

llj68, I don't have an answer to your question. But I wanted to say that I hope your little one feels better soon. I know how it is when the kiddies get sick.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 8

Hope the little ones feel better...I have actually read that you should not use masonite board because it is a little bit flexible and you can have cake problems....but not everyone has the same problem I'm sure. I would put a cardboard cake board on the board just in case. What might help keep the two boards together is some heavy duty double sided tape.

peacockplace Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 8

For 1/4 sheet and round cakes there's not a problem with masonite. It's strong and doesn't flex on these, but for anything big or heavy I put two of them together. For really really big cakes, I use plywood!

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 8

Lisa,
Glad to have you back with us again! I imagine you are pretty tired out from caring for your little one, I hope that she gets better soon! Don't forget to grab a quiet moment for yourself. It's much easier to be a caring & sympathetic Mommy when you have had a moment to yourself to refresh! (Coming from someone whose 2 toddlers just recovered from ear infections at the same time.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%