Ideas For Mother's Day Needed

Decorating By Charmed Updated 4 May 2005 , 4:04am by Lisa

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 4:30am
post #1 of 20

Hello,
I need some ideas, picutres for mother's day cake. I searched google and yahoo images and there wasnt much there. I appreciate your help. thanks

19 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 7:42am
post #2 of 20

I've thought about doing a bouquet of flowers. I was going to cut the cake to look like a bouquet, cover the bottom in fondant and dust or stamp with a metallic color to look like the florist's foil. The I'd cover the top part in flowers with stems and leaves to hide the cake underneath. I was also going to rest it on some cello and add a gift tag also made of fondant. I don't think I'm going to do it though. It'd be pretty but my DM doesn't like cut flowers. She prefers them potted.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 7:45am
post #3 of 20

cant you do a potted flower cake???? I think that would look great!!!! I know with your talents you can do it!!!

MindiBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MindiBrad Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 20

I don't know if this is so much a typical mothers day cake, but I am making my mom a Red Hat cake (and a smaller pink/lavender hat cake) for her Mother's Day tea with her Red Hat Society ladies

I also REALLY like the idea of a flowerpot cake!

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 20

How about this - think about what your mother in particular loves and do a cake on that theme?

Or.. think about what most any mom would love.. a vacation? a good kid? a night off? someone else to make dinner? kid saying "I love you, Mom!"?? - and make a cake based on one of those ideas.

Maybe think of a common saying that Moms say.. "Don't run with scissors!" or whatever she says.. "Don't make me say your full name, young lady!" something that might come out amusing on a cake..

OR.. a character cake or BCT of famous cartoon or tv moms - Wilma Flintstone, Jane Jetson, etc.

That's all for right now..
~AngelWendy

Charmed Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 20

Hi all,
I want to thank you all. You have given me wonderful ideas for the cake.
the cake is actually for the all the staff (especially mothers!) in our local library and I just want to thank them for their help and hard work. So that is the story! well thanks again for your help thumbs_up.gif

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 1:29am
post #7 of 20

i have done a mother's day hat. the cake was covered in fondant. I colored the fondant the blue color 1st and added a little bit of the purple color so that the fondant had two-toned effect. I covered the board with fondant to make the rim (brim?) of the hat. I then used royal icing to paint the decoration on it. Here is what it looked like.
LL

Lisa Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 2:20am
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by flayvurdfun

cant you do a potted flower cake???? I think that would look great!!!! I know with your talents you can do it!!!

Thanks flayv! You have more confidence in me than I have in myself--LOL! I actually tried to make my SIL a topiary cake once...it ended up having to be a potted rose bush. I didn't have a good stand to support the top of the topiary and it fell down. Luckily I hadn't decorated it yet so it was an easy save. I think I'm going to go with a cooking theme. I bought my DM a beautiful set of vintage melmac spatterware bowls she'd been wanting. They were new in the original box so this is a very special gift. I want to try to incorporate that into the cake.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 2:41am
post #9 of 20

Those all sound like very nice ideas! I think the flower pot idea is especially fun. Now I've got something to go to Michael's and look for! (Ceramic Pot w/no hole in the bottom that I can bake in.) LOL

Lisa Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 2:54am
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsandraven

Those all sound like very nice ideas! I think the flower pot idea is especially fun. Now I've got something to go to Michael's and look for! (Ceramic Pot w/no hole in the bottom that I can bake in.) LOL

I've heard that works really well. I have a stainless steel bowl shaped like a flowers pot(maybe it's a planter). That's what I baked the cake in. I should have used a flower nail or baked two layers though cause I wanted a really high cake and it took forever to bake.

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 5:12am
post #11 of 20

A Family photo albm cake would be cool use the book cake pan and a few famliy photos on that edible paper would be so cute !

juniper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juniper Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 8:48am
post #12 of 20

charmed

find some pics of apron cakes.

juniper
LL
LL

Charmed Posted 2 May 2005 , 10:31pm
post #13 of 20

hi Ladies,
thanks for all the ideas and picutres. all your cakes are wonderful. thumbs_up.gif

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 2 May 2005 , 11:14pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessBeckysbaking

A Family photo albm cake would be cool use the book cake pan and a few famliy photos on that edible paper would be so cute !

does edible paper go into a regular printer??

Lisa Posted 3 May 2005 , 3:58am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3jotynjake

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessBeckysbaking

does edible paper go into a regular printer??

Yes...but it has to be a certain kind of printer (Canon bubble jet) and you have to use edible ink cartridges with a dedicated print head (only used for edible inks).

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 3 May 2005 , 8:24am
post #16 of 20

Lisa, You have a great amount of talent in the cake department....so YES I know you could do one!!!!

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 4 May 2005 , 1:43am
post #17 of 20

You can bake a cake in a regular 6" flower pot. Just grease the pot with crisco and then line it with wax paper and bake as normal. I just finished a birthday cake for my mother in law like this. No need to worry about finding a pot without a hole once lined with wax paper it works just great.

Sahmlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sahmlock Posted 4 May 2005 , 2:43am
post #18 of 20

but i am wondering what type of pot you are referring too? Do you mean strictly the terracotta pots? How do I know which planters would withstand the heat of the oven?
This is news to me, and very exciting!!!! (A whole new world, yep I am singing that song........... thumbs_up.gif )
sahm

LAA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LAA Posted 4 May 2005 , 2:46am
post #19 of 20

This really is an interesting idea. How do you determine how long to bake the cake and at what temperature?

Lisa

Lisa Posted 4 May 2005 , 4:04am
post #20 of 20

They actually sell terracotta pots that are used just for baking. I bought a set of four...they came in a bread baking kit. These pots were glazed on the inside. You can use regular terrcotta pots though...

http://www.foundationtv.co.uk/f-tips/flowerpotcookery.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%