I Just Have To Ask This.........

Decorating By Taigen Updated 25 Mar 2006 , 3:00pm by rlm5150

Taigen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taigen Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 13

Has anyone ever manage to get ALL the sugar kneeded into the recipe for gumpaste, candy clay and MMF?????
I have made one batch of each since last night and could not get the total amount for each into the doughs? Is there something I am doing wrong. None of these are sticky at all but I have left over sugar from each.
Can someone describe the consistency of these things, I know that tough to do, but I just wonder if I am doing this stuff wrong.

12 replies
cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 13

I have when making the MMF but I swear it has to do with the humidity level! When I made it in FL over christmas when I was staying with my mom I got it all in and it still was really sticky....Maybe you high humidity folks can shed some more light on the subject.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 13

I almost always do get all the sugar in, although, I have read most people don't. I am in WV so I don't think humidity effects me much especially this time of year. I think it depends on the temp. of the marshmallows. If my marshmallows are really hot-to hot to handle with bear hands- I start stiring in the sugar with a spoon. By the time it has cooled off to start kneeding I have a hard time stiring it anymore. I turn it out and kneed in the rest of the sugar. Also, I have noticed not all bags of marshmallows have the same amount in them. In fact, most of the ones I find around here are only 10 oz not the 16oz in the recipe per bag-therefore you would have a harder time getting all the powdered sugar into less marshmallows.

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 13

That is a good point about the 10 oz versus the 16 oz bags. I once sent my DH to the store for MM and he came back with 10 oz bags so then I had to wiegh them out....so I could see where that would throw folks. I applaud you for hand stirirng!! WOW I would not do it with out my KA!!
icon_biggrin.gif

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 13

I do my MMF with my KA too...so I get all the sugar in.....one problem...I find that while Im working with it...even with crisco hands its dries and cracks on me......so maybe not getting all the sugar in would help???

acquarius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acquarius Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 13

I live in central america where the temp is high, like around the 90's and humidity high. I have never seen fondant of anykind before this. I tried the mmf the first time and I thought it was good, I worked it all in the first time. Then later, with more experience I realized that leaving out some of the sugar actually made the mmf less hard and stiff. So I do leave out some sugar. Maybe it's because I don't know the correct consistency of what 'real" fondant should be. But with the second version, I can roll it much thinner and picking it up without tearing.

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 13

i never get it all in.. i live in Colorado and its dry as a bone here.. i put enough sugar in until it feels right... i think if i were to get it in the MMF would be too dry and would crack...the recipe of mmf is not in stone.. ya just gotta feel your way through it.. its still tastes the same.. my very first batch i ended up adding an extra tablespoon of water cuz it was too dry...

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 5:20am
post #8 of 13

I never use all the sugar.

I knead mine by hand also.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 5:26am
post #9 of 13

Nope I can't use all the sugar either.

I think also it might depend on how much corn starch they use to coat their marshmallows with (you know, whatever they use to make sure the mallows don't stick in the bag).... that thought struck me once. I usually just end up using the Walmart brand ones because that is who sells the 16 oz bags.

My biggest problem with MMF is that seems like adding color makes the fondant seize up. If I just make it pastel colored, I get a real nice, workable fondant. If I try to make it darker, it gets like crumbly and its not real salvagable at that point.

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 5:38am
post #10 of 13

You know....as luck would have it, I made some the other day when it was real dry outside and I couldn't get all the sugar in..actually made two batches and had lots of left over sugar. Made some last night when it was raining like crazy and windows were open and had to use all the sugar and then some. I definately think humidity has a big part in this.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 6:21am
post #11 of 13

I just made a batch of Wilton fondant where I got all the sugar in and still needed to add much more to get it not to be sticky! The batch came out fine and did a nice job of covering the cake.

But, previous batches have cracked on me when I've tried to put in all the sugar....why??? I don't know.

I have found that making it in my KA makes cracks. Making it by hand worked much better. The MMF I've made has never taken all the sugar.

ttatummm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttatummm Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 5:32am
post #12 of 13

I always use the whole 2 lbs of sugar. But, I usually have to add a bit more water towards the end of the kneading process to get it all in. I knead my MMF by hand. When the fondant gets to the point where it seems like it won't take any more sugar, I start adding water a 1/2 teaspoon at a time. You'd be amazed at how much more sugar will go into the fondant with the addtion of just a small amount of water. On average I added about an extra 1 1/2 teaspoons of water.

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 25 Mar 2006 , 3:00pm
post #13 of 13

I've used the Wilton recipe for fondant and it cake out crackly also. I never added more water to finish it, thou, because nobody I know will eat it. icon_redface.gif
Tabby

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%