How Do You Store 3-D Cakes?

Decorating By briggs2 Updated 25 Apr 2005 , 3:37am by cindycakes2

briggs2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briggs2 Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 9

I would like to try a 3-D cake and even a layered or tiered cake for that matter. My question is do you store these in the open or in special boxes? I usually make my cake the day before the party. Also how do you transport 3-D or layered cakes?

8 replies
luceymoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luceymoose Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 9

For a tiered cake, you can disassemble it and keep it in separate boxes. Stacked and 3D cakes are a little more difficult. I have read on this site that some people use the big rubbermaid containers using the lid as the bottom and the container as the lid. I've never tried this but it sounds like a good idea to me. Hope this helps
Luceymoose icon_smile.gif

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 9

Now that is a great idea!!! I have been making more 3-D cakes and every time I am stuck with how the heck do I cover/transport it and I never thought of the upside-down Rubbermaid idea. I love it!

luceymoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luceymoose Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 1:31am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletmom

Now that is a great idea!!! I have been making more 3-D cakes and every time I am stuck with how the heck do I cover/transport it and I never thought of the upside-down Rubbermaid idea. I love it!

That's what I thought!! I've just been waiting to do a 3D cake so I can use it. icon_biggrin.gif

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 9

The rubbermaid is what I used for my shark cake. They come in all different shapes and sizes and work wonderful!!

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 9:35am
post #6 of 9

just a reminder don't forget to use the slipgaurd between the cake and lid or botom as use for.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 2:11am
post #7 of 9

Using a Rubbermaid container is a great idea! I just made a 3D cake and didn't have a box to fit it. It was on a 12" board and I had 12" boxes but they weren't near tall enough. What I ended up doing was taping the lid so it stayed open wide enough not to squish the cake. Then I taped plastic wrap to the front which was open. I taped it nice and tight so you could see the cake. It actually looked pretty good!

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 24 Apr 2005 , 2:48am
post #8 of 9

Two more things to make a note of when using a rubbermaid container: 1) If your vehicle has carpet, use a rubber floormat or piece of rug grip under the lid to keep it from sliding around in your car at turns and stops. 2) Put your name on both pieces, or you'll be buying a lot of Rubbermaids! (Ask me how I discovered that one... icon_sad.gif ) People hold on to those bins worse than Tupperware!

Those things considered, they work great!

cindycakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes2 Posted 25 Apr 2005 , 3:37am
post #9 of 9

Great idea using the rubbermaid containers. I have lots of them but never thought of using them that way. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%