My Buttercream Tips

Decorating By sugarshack Updated 16 Mar 2014 , 2:50pm by loviescakes

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 3:24pm
post #61 of 575

Thank you, sugarshack for the computer paper tip. I tried it last night on my final cake for Course 2 and was amazed at how smooth it turned out! It's a shame it will be covered in basketweave at class! LOL Thought I would post a pic of it. Your cakes are to-die-for-gorgeous, btw. icon_smile.gif
LL

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 3:26pm
post #62 of 575

That looks really good, crisseyann! Did you use the recipe here or just the crusting buttercream? I am curious if the paper works (I have used waxed paper in the past...) for just any crusting buttercream?

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 6:59pm
post #63 of 575

I've used the paper with my regular buttercream recipe that I've always used and it worked just perfect!!! I'm sure any buttercream that crusts will do just fine!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 7:31pm
post #64 of 575

I use the SweeteX iciing for most all of my cakes. This worked really well for me. HTH. icon_biggrin.gif

Sweetex Frosting

1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp butter flavor
1/4 tsp almond flavor
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups Sweetex
1 TBS meringue powder
1/2 tsp popcorn salt
2 lbs. powdered sugar

Add salt, vanilla, butter, and almond flavors to measuring cup. Add cold water to make 1/2 cup.

Beat Sweetex and slowly add water until fully incorporated. Beat in meringue powder. Gradually add powdered sugar. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed.

This recipe is in its original form.however.*I* dont always use popcorn salt, just regular table salt. Popcorn salt is finer ground so I guess it would dissolve better, but I find regular salt is just fine. Just make sure to stir until dissolved.

Also, I have made this with AND without the meringue powder. I found no difference. I think the meringue powder is supposed to make the frosting stand up better in heat and humidity.

AND, if by chance, you cant get the Sweetex, just use regular Crisco.

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 11:55pm
post #65 of 575

Sharon,
Thanks for sharing. Love your site. How do
you quilt your buttercream? Carefully I bet!
I used my daughters drawing paper that comes on a roll and it works great! Your cakes are beautiful.
vicki
long beach, ny

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 1:52pm
post #66 of 575

I can not find this Sweetex stuff everybody keeps talking about, I went to the grocery store to try and find it and all I saw was Crisco. Do you have to go to a specialty store to get it...any help would be appreciated, I have heard it is so much better than Crisco and I would really like to try it. usaribbon.gif

Thanks
Connie

P.S. I live in the South, Do they not sell it down here?????.....ha! ha!

ConnieB Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 1:53pm
post #67 of 575

I can not find this Sweetex stuff everybody keeps talking about, I went to the grocery store to try and find it and all I saw was Crisco. Do you have to go to a specialty store to get it...any help would be appreciated, I have heard it is so much better than Crisco and I would really like to try it. usaribbon.gif

Thanks
Connie

P.S. I live in the South, Do they not sell it down here?????.....ha! ha!

cakebybek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebybek Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 2:04pm
post #68 of 575

I buy mine at the local cake supply store, do you have a supply store around you? If not do a search on the computer and buy it that way. Hope this helps.

cakebybek Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 2:05pm
post #69 of 575

I buy mine at the local cake supply store, do you have a supply store around you? If not do a search on the computer and buy it that way. Hope this helps.

cakebybek Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 2:05pm
post #70 of 575

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 2:08pm
post #71 of 575

sugarshack, I thank you, too. the computer paper worked much better than wax paper! Only trouble was visual reduced significantly, but I was smoothing a tempermental cake so maybe on a normal cake that bakes and releases properly it will not matter as much.

I am also interested in where folks find Sweetex...have not looked yet, but things are generally difficult to find in small towns in small states, so some direction could save a lot of time at the outset of my search - thanks!

cakebybek Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 2:14pm
post #72 of 575

cakebybek Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 2:17pm
post #73 of 575

Wow I sent that 3 to many times I was have a problem with it saying that it was debugging something. Sorry

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 12:21am
post #74 of 575

Sugarshack...thanks so much for your tips. I had stopped decorating for awhile, just lost my enthusiasm for it or something. I stumbled across this site and and saw your postings and it made me so excited to try again, so I went out that night and tried your method....it's awesome!!!! Thanks for the inspiration, your cakes are fantastic.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 5:31am
post #75 of 575

That's fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This hobby sure can turn into an obcession right quick!

A wholesale food supply like Sysco, may be abole to get the sweetex. i order mine online here:

http://www.thebakerskitchen.com/BAKEWARE_SHOPPE/Baking_Ingredients/Food_Items/Buttercream_&_Shortenings/ready-made_buttercream_&_shortenings.htm

ConnieB Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 3:50pm
post #76 of 575

cakebybek, I was looking at your cakes, they are great, do you have directions on how to do the Frog cake, that is so cute, I love it! usaribbon.gif

Thanks
Connie

gottacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottacake Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 3:57pm
post #77 of 575

Your cakes are .... well, fabulous and unbelievable! We want to be just like you when we grow up!! Keep the photos coming, we'll be watching and we'll be amazed and impressed!

cakebybek Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 4:12pm
post #78 of 575

cbowen,

Thank you for the nice comment, I used the 10'' round for the bottem and the 3d stand up bear for the frog. The eyes are the bears ears and just kind of make his front legs for the bears arms and bring the frosting down to the bottem. Hope this helps if you need more help please pm me or keep this forum going

loriemoms Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 10:21pm
post #79 of 575

I bought Hi ratio shortening from kitchenkraft..it was only $6.95 for 3 lbs and they shipped very fast. But you can find hi ratio all over the web.

The grocery stores don't sell it, if you are lucky enough to have a bakery supply place, you can get it there.

loriemoms Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 10:23pm
post #80 of 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

That's fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This hobby sure can turn into an obcession right quick!

A wholesale food supply like Sysco, may be abole to get the sweetex. i order mine online here:

http://www.thebakerskitchen.com/BAKEWARE_SHOPPE/Baking_Ingredients/Food_Items/Buttercream_&_Shortenings/ready-made_buttercream_&_shortenings.htm

They have very good prices! I will have to try them next time...

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 8:26pm
post #81 of 575
Quote:
Quote:

idid not specify an amount; you just add the amount of liquid you need to get the consistency you like. i use about 21 TBS

Is that right? 21 tablespoons? Seems like a lot of liquid......

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 2:22am
post #82 of 575

What am I doing wrong icon_cry.gif . I tried to use the computer paper and it stuck but only in a few spots. icon_confused.gif I am using crisco. But my buttercream is crusting fine.. I use viva on it but can't seem to get the paper trick down..Any one else/ Or just me????

tirby Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 2:40am
post #83 of 575

I hate to say this but I think I'm pouting icon_cry.gif yes I am!! Does anyone out there know the agony this is causing me icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
My hubby thinks I nuts! Ok today I think I might be! Any advice please icon_cry.gif I cant get this to work! Ok I'm making more cake tomorrow. maybe I'll just frost a pan and see if it happens again? maybe it's the cake and not me icon_confused.gif

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 3:14am
post #84 of 575

I have always used computer paper. You have to wait longer for the icing to crust more. Viva or parchment usually does not stick even if the icing is not fully crusted. I wait for at least 1/2 hour before the computer paper. Computer paper will stick if the icing is not fully crusted. Just be patient and it will work. Any plaves that stick just go back over them when they crust.

tirby Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 3:20am
post #85 of 575

ceculsk , Thank you for the tip on waiting. Maybe that is all thats wrong. I was SO frusterated! Ok so am I right, viva first then wait about 1/2 hour then paper?

swoboda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoboda Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 3:05pm
post #86 of 575

Sharon - thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I used it last night & I LOVE it!! It was so smooth - there were no air bubbles at all when it was finished mixing!! And it tasted really good too!! I didn't find it sweet at all & neither did anyone else who ate it. I didn't add enough flavoring for my taste (I like LOTS of flavor & the taste was there but very subtle). Everyone else said it was ok though and since it was my family I know they would be honest with me!

I do have 3 questions though.
1) When I divided the batch up to make different colors I got air bubbles when I mixed in the color paste. How do you color your icing & keep it as air bubble free as possible?
2) Do you thin out the icing more if you are using it to ice the cake than for decorations? If so, do you just remove some when it's at a stiffer consistency & thin the rest in the KA? The reason I ask is because you said the trick was to have the icing up over the paddle to keep the air bubles out - but if you removed icing & thinned a smaller amount wouldn't that create air bubbles? Or would it be ok because you're not mixing it as long as the whole batch takes to mix?
3) When smoothing - do you put it in the fridge to crust over before going over it with the hot spatula or is that right after the icing has been applied?
Also, could you just smooth it with the computer paper & no Viva? I live in Canada & we don't have that brand here... I haven't found paper towel that doesn't have a design on the back of it yet.

Sorry for so many questions!

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 2 Apr 2006 , 5:08pm
post #87 of 575

Sugar,

Just want to THANK YOU for your ADVICE and web referrals!
icon_biggrin.gif
donnajf

sugarshack Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 3:04am
post #88 of 575

Tirby.. yes just wait longer ....

I do have 3 questions though.
1) When I divided the batch up to make different colors I got air bubbles when I mixed in the color paste. How do you color your icing & keep it as air bubble free as possible?

ahh, you have hit a sore spot with me; I hate coloring small batches due to the same problem. sometimes i just make a big batch in the mixer of one color and freeze the leftovers. if not i either mix it by hand, making sure the spoon stays under the icing all the time, or with my VERY powerful hand mixer in a smaller bowl; again using the same concept that the icing has to be way above the paddles at all times. I hate it!

2) Do you thin out the icing more if you are using it to ice the cake than for decorations? If so, do you just remove some when it's at a stiffer consistency & thin the rest in the KA? The reason I ask is because you said the trick was to have the icing up over the paddle to keep the air bubles out - but if you removed icing & thinned a smaller amount wouldn't that create air bubbles? Or would it be ok because you're not mixing it as long as the whole batch takes to mix?

i only make one consistency for the cake I am icing. if i want a different consisentcy for piping, i either thin or thicken up the leftovers after the cake is iced.

3) When smoothing - do you put it in the fridge to crust over before going over it with the hot spatula or is that right after the icing has been applied?
Also, could you just smooth it with the computer paper & no Viva? I live in Canada & we don't have that brand here... I haven't found paper towel that doesn't have a design on the back of it yet.

no fridge for me; the hot spatula is just right away, after the icing has been applied. if you do it right away; you may not even have to heat the spatula cuz the icing is so smooth anyway. and yes, you can go right to the typing paper, although i do like to refine it with viva first. you could also try a non woven interfacing from fabric store. you can wash and reuse again

i hope it helped!

sugarshack Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 3:08am
post #89 of 575

Is that right? 21 tablespoons? Seems like a lot of liquid......

yep, about that; i go by feel each time, it may vary a little but it's about that. thumbs_up.gif ( that includes my flavorings)

swoboda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoboda Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 4:06am
post #90 of 575

Thanks Sharon!
I will try that next time. I was just using a knife to mix in the color because it was fairly small amounts of each color that I was making (apprx 1 cup.) Next time I'll try a spoon or my hand mixer instead - I don't make enough cakes to color an entire batch in one color! That's a LOT of icing in one recipe!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%