Is Gumpaste Edible?

Decorating By KimAZ Updated 22 Apr 2005 , 2:55am by AngelWendy

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,
Forgive me if this sounds silly but gumpaste isn't edible is it? I am about to attempt my first flowers out of it and am wondering what you do with the flowers ( or anything else you make out of gumpaste) after making them? Do you just remove them from the cakes and throw them out? Can they be re-used?

I have seen floral arrangements out of gumpaste flowers in magazines so I guess they can be used in other ways than for cake decorating. It seems like so much effort to just toss off a cake.

Thanks for any help.
KimAZ

4 replies
msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 5

You can eat them but really they don't have a very special taste.

You can keep them though I have never reused them I know a bride that kept hers in a glass dome for years

sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 5

Kim,

Gumpaste is edible, as in it will not make you sick, but since it dries so hard, I do not think that I would recommend eating anything made out of gumpaste. I do not even eat my royal decorations, even though my hubby likes to eat them. That is just my opinion though, cause I do not like to eat any kind of hard frosting like royal or gumpaste, especially when it doesn't have a good taste to me (mmm...chocolate would be nice icon_wink.gif )

elin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elin Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 5

Gumpaste is eateble, but it is harder than fondant.
Flowers can be cept in a glass dome, away from dust for many years.
They can also be reused to another cake if you wish.
It is not any taste kind, but most for the buty.

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 2:55am
post #5 of 5

The gumpaste itself is edible, but sometimes the flowers have floral wire or tape attached or inedible stamens. I can also tell you from experience that plain gumpaste is not very good. It's just like hard and chewy sugar, harder than royal icing.

~AngelWendy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%