Baking Large Cake

Decorating By Farmersdaughter Updated 12 Oct 2014 , 1:24pm by Walkinmomma

Farmersdaughter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Farmersdaughter Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 17

OK... I'm tackling my first LARGE cake. The base layer of my wedding cake will be 16" square and I'm affraid of it not baking evenly. I've seen "heat cores" at our local cake shop but not sure how they work.

I would appreciate any tips or pointers from you experts! I'm getting very nervous!

16 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 17

Use several flower nails put flat side down on the base of your pan in/near the centre, spray them with cake release and they will only leave you with a small hole instead of a large one that you have to faff about refilling!

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 17

The most common way its seems on here for making sure the cake gets done is using an upside down flower nail. You spray it with cooking spray then place it in the center of the cake pan. Some people pour the batter after placing the nail. I pour then place the nail. As far as the heating core, I've never used one. I've used the Bake Even Strips but I haven't experience any difference using them and not using them. On a 16" square I would place two nails in the cake. One on each side of the cake.

Good luck!

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 17

I did one once and I did not use the heating core. I did lower the temp to 325 and used my equivelant of bake even strips. Also I tead where you can put a few flower nails in. I had used the heating core befor and foung it a hassel

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 17

I'm going to agree with the flower nail theory. I thought it was nuts when I first heard of it, but for less than 1.00 for each of them they work amazingly!!!! I can't believe how good the cakes bake!!!!

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 17

I have some baking strips, but sometimes I just don't want to fool with them, lol.

Flower nails are amazing!!!

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 17

I've used both the nail and the heating core - ready to ditch the heating core!! I just spray the nail with the Pam baking spray that has flour in it. I'd also use 2 nails.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 17

I use the flower nail and I have also put a small pan of water on the rack under my cake. I am not sure how much that helps but it seems to work better for me than the bake even strips and it is a lot easier.

Cindy

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 17

I've never used a heating core or flower nail for any of my cakes.. I've done 12X18's and 16" round/squares. I just bake at 350 and will turn the cakes half way through baking!!

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 17

I'm another flower nail fan. I used it for a 16 inch square cake and it turned out beautifully.

Angie

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 5:00pm
post #11 of 17

I too use flower nails. It works beautifully, and is soooo easy! I think it is a good idea also to lower the oven temp just a bit - I almost always bake at 325 anyway because it seems the cakes don't have as big a "hump" at a slightly lower temp. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 17

I tried the flower nail, and it didn't do it for me. I still had a gummy center. So, I emptied out a salsa can and opened the bottom as well...creating a metal cylinder. (It's hard to find cans you can open at both ends these days!). Just grease and flour that and then insert it in the center of your cake. Not only is my cake done all the way through now....it is EVEN!!!! EVEN! For some reason, I don't get a huge hump anymore. You'll get a little cake "plug" when it's done, but it just fits right back in the cake, and ices perfectly, and no-one's the wiser. I put a heat core in pretty much everything nowadays.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 5:19pm
post #13 of 17

Crimsicle, what brand of salsa did you use? I've never seen salsa in a can. Round these parts they come in glass bottles. icon_smile.gif I'd love to try that idea.

I, too, use flower nails...2 in a 16" square.

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 5:24pm
post #14 of 17

I use the flower nail too, and it works great! But, there is one thing that I can't seem to avoid......HARD CRUSTY EDGES. I don't know what to do, does anybody have any advice????? Help! It makes it harder to level my cake becuae the leveler gets hung up on the CRUSTY EDGES!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Connie
usaribbon.gif

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 6:15pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle

I tried the flower nail, and it didn't do it for me. I still had a gummy center. So, I emptied out a salsa can and opened the bottom as well...creating a metal cylinder. (It's hard to find cans you can open at both ends these days!).

The can of salsa you are talking about, is the small one, right?

I use the heating core when I use pans bigger than 10, especially if they are 3 inches and I don't find it that much of a trouble.

It works for me. icon_smile.gif

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 6:16pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle

I tried the flower nail, and it didn't do it for me. I still had a gummy center. So, I emptied out a salsa can and opened the bottom as well...creating a metal cylinder. (It's hard to find cans you can open at both ends these days!).

The can of salsa you are talking about, is the small one, right?

I use the heating core when I use pans bigger than 10, especially if they are 3 inches and I don't find it that much of a trouble.

It works for me. icon_smile.gif

Walkinmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walkinmomma Posted 12 Oct 2014 , 1:24pm
post #17 of 17

I use the Ateco heating core nails and really prefer them over using flower nails as they are totally flat.  The salsa can does sound interesting though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%