Cookie Dipping ....flat.anyone Done This??

Baking By Kiddiekakes Updated 24 Mar 2006 , 3:09pm by waltz

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 20

I would like to know how they get the cookies to look like this one.The cookie looks like it is dipped flat and then outlined.Has anyone done this and how do you do it??
LL

19 replies
RhondaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RhondaK Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 20

I have definitely flat-dipped my cut out cookies before. It is so much faster that way if you are using only one icing color. I've never thought of piping over top of the dried icing, but this looks great! I'm sure it would work...I'll have to give it a try.

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 20

No..it's not dipped flat. It is filled with royal icing and left to dry a little. then you go back over it with the outline.

classymomx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classymomx3 Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 20

what is flat dipped and how do you do it?

Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 20

Okay if it is filled with Royal icing how do you keep it from going over the edges??

frostie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostie Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 20

I was wondering about cookies on a stick. Can they be baked with the stick in them and when they are cooled dipped in almond bark (colored) or candy melts? I wanted to do this to reenforce the sticks. Then decorate on top of that after they are dry. I am thinking about tulips, bunnies,etc. for spring bouqets.

RhondaK Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 20

The way I do it is to set the top of my cut out cookie (flat) into the icing I prepared, then carefully grab the cookie from the sides, wiggle it back and forth just a bit to make sure the icing contacts everywhere it should and then lift it up and out of the icing. There may be a little excess icing on the cookie, which I take care of by taking a knife or icing blade and smothing off the excess while still holding the cookie upside down. Then, when I flip it over, it's all covered. As it dries, icing will settle out and even out in spots where it may not be perfect. Obviously, this method requires an icing that is a little runnier. I have a different recipe altogether that I use...maybe I should post it.

ballmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ballmom Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 20

The way the first cookie is done is called flooding. You use a stiffer royal and let it set up a bit then you use a thinner icing to "flood" in the area. Then let it set up and decorate with royal on top. icon_smile.gif

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:32pm
post #9 of 20

I dipped flat some cookies this weekend and then did the detail work after that dried. You can look at my photos, the ones of the baby onesie are the ones I did this weekend.

Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:37pm
post #10 of 20

Yes...Rhonda Please post the recipe!!!!

Laurel icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:38pm
post #11 of 20

Jenn2179,

That is the idea I am looking for!!

RhondaK Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:39pm
post #12 of 20

Okay - I posted the recipe under Frostings...it's called Rhonda's Cookie Icing. icon_biggrin.gif Check it out and let me know how it goes if you decide to give it a try!

Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Mar 2006 , 3:40pm
post #13 of 20

Thanks Rhonda...Your the Best!!!!

jmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmcakes Posted 22 Mar 2006 , 1:36am
post #14 of 20

Ok my question is ..Does the icing cover the back of the cookie too. I have baby shower cookies to do and this seems like this would be so much easier. I am still new and have only did cookies twice. Would I just like dunk the cookies in the icing and then what would I pull them out with? TIA~Melissa

RhondaK Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 2:02am
post #15 of 20

No, you don't submerge the entire cookie. You lay the top of the cookie face-down on the icing (it shouldn't really sink, but I kind of hold the cookie by its sides - just w/ my fingers) then give the cookie a gentle back-and-forth along the top of the icing to make sure all the surfaces on the top of the cookie make contact with the icing. Does that make sense? So when you are finished, it would look like the cookie above (yellow background icing), minus all the piping done on top.

I hope this helps!

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 2:13pm
post #16 of 20

I use a small offset spatula and flat coat the cookie with Antonia's recipe. The consistency is quite soft but it does not run off the cookie. Let it harden for at leat 30 mn and then you can pipe over that if you want. It's how I did my pumpkin cookies at Halloween. Very fast and easy!

Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 2:13pm
post #17 of 20

Rhonda,

Does the icing dry hard? enough to bag?

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 2:53pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Rhonda,

Does the icing dry hard? enough to bag?

Ditto--same question. thumbs_up.gif

I made cookies the other day and flooded the cookie with a petit four icing and did detailing with the royal icing. My kids wouldn't eat the cookies. They said the decorations were like "rocks" as my four-year-old said. icon_lol.gif (I kind of feel the same and am still searching for that perfect cookie icing)

kos

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 9:56am
post #19 of 20

Kos,
Try the recipe on this site named alice's. It is very good and does NOT get rock hard. It takes a little longer to dry, but very good.

waltz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waltz Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 3:09pm
post #20 of 20

You can also thin out your icing just a little bit and pipe it in lines to pretty much fill in the space you want to have iced. Keep it about 1/4 to 1/8 inch from the edges. Then just grab the edges of the cookie and shake it back and forth in all directions, keeping the top of the cookie always pointed upward. The icing will fill in all the uncovered spots (if the texture was right) and look like you outlined and flooded but with no line visible around the outside.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%