Airbrush Help~Please...

Decorating By galliesway Updated 31 Mar 2007 , 3:16pm by bobwonderbuns

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 13

I got my airbrush and it's pretty much the first time I'm using it other than briefly playing around w/it. Is it normal for it to look streaky when it is first airbrushed? Will it dry evenly? I airbrushed a sculpture of fondant if that helps.

Thanks,
Kelley

12 replies
Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 13

I've tried to learn how to use an airbrush, all I can say is practice, practice, and practice some more.

And have fun.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 13

It takes alot of practice to get even color, that is why I mostly like to airbrush stuff that does not need even color....

galliesway Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 13

Will going over it with a brush help make it look more even?

Kelley

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 13

putting several thin coats might help.....brushing it on will just make it streaky. let it dry and airbrush over it again....make sure you're far enough back and also.....try practicing on paper and play around with the feel of the gun...practice letting just a tiny bit of color out....once you get a feel for it you'll be fine!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 13

Tiptop's top tip:

No, it should not look streaky. My mother was a spray painter. I learned from her. The directions below may not be the way airbrush people would teach you but it works for me. icon_wink.gif

Start spraying before your cake and end after the cake use long strokes. Think of Ralph Macchio painting the fence in Karate Kid. Up/down or back/forth. Long movements with even pressure.

Make sure you set-up a cardboard spray booth for the over flow and mask all pieces you don't want that color. This way you are not worried about getting color all over other things and you can really work the wand/nozzle/brush.......

Have fun!

Edited to add - - - Oh yeah it takes many coats of color. Think of it as nail polish, three coats and it is starting to look like the color in the bottle. icon_biggrin.gif

amymichele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amymichele Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 13

Oh, and use a painter's mask if you have one - my first time using an airbrush, my nose was bright green inside for a couple of days! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 13

amymichele

Bright green - bwahahahah - my sides hurt. Too rich. Thank you for the chortle. icon_biggrin.gif

galliesway Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 3:02am
post #9 of 13

So it appears shrek is going to have to be streaky as the white chocolate didn't "pan" out. Next time will practice more in advance. My dd who will be 2 tomorrow thinks her cake is great anyway. Thanks for all your help. Here's what he looks like so far.

Kelley
LL

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 3:13am
post #10 of 13

I think it loooks awesome! The streaks actually work here, gives him more dimension - super job, you are a great sculptor!

galliesway Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 3:23am
post #11 of 13

Thanks. I can't take credit for the sculpting my cousin who is a fx artist made the mold for it. I just made the fondant, shaped it into the mold & smoothed it out.

kelley

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 3:35am
post #12 of 13

I have to agree with tiptop57. I do some airbrushing and it does have a huge overspray. I also agree to mask the areas in which you do not want covered. It takes a lot of practice! It is a lot of work as well. I use overhead projector paper and trace the picture with a marker fine tip. I then use a stencil burner and burn out my design. Make sure you have a large peice of glass under the paper when you burn out your stencil, I use an old picture frame. I use a different paper for each color and be sure to let it dry between each color! I have a poodle picture I did in my gallery. I have others but I could't upload them due to lack of a scanner. For over all color, you do have to start spraying befoe you hit the cake or you will get those spots. Just practice even pressure and practice!! Hang tight you will get it
HTH icon_smile.gif
Dee

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 3:16pm
post #13 of 13

There's a website, www.howtoairbrush.com and they have many lessons for the beginner. In these lessons, they show you tricks for control and shading without streaking, etc. One thing they mentioned is if you practice every day for about two hours a day, by the end of the week you should have the hang of it. (I'm glad I found that because I'm going to a Roland Winbeckler demo in April and I want to have some idea of how to use my airbrush! icon_rolleyes.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%