Kentucky Derby Cake

Decorating By CakesByEllen Updated 21 Apr 2005 , 11:27am by flayvurdfun

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 2:37am
post #1 of 4

I could use some help. I just started making cakes for folks at work (so far I am only charging for supplies until I get established). I have taken all three Wilton classes icon_biggrin.gif so I am pretty confidant in my abilities.

I need to come up with some ideas for a Kentucky Derby cake. The person who needs it said they did a bowler/derby hat last year. It is for 30-40 people. I can make almost anything, but stink at coming up with original ideas.

Please help!

Thanks,
ElleC

3 replies
montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 3:08am
post #2 of 4

How about a horse shoe cake that is covered in red roses (like the drape they always put over the winning horse. Than maybe you could put a caption like "Run for the roses . . ."
Another idea could be a rectangular cake that you make into a track of sorts. Maybe use fondant for the fencing around the track. . .
Another rectangular cake could be decorated like a colorful jockey's jersey (I think that's what they are called, I know they are always colorful)
Hope these ideas help icon_smile.gif
Kate

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 20 Apr 2005 , 3:10am
post #3 of 4

Oooh, I forgot one more, but this might be hard. How about something that looked like a mint julep? I know they come in special silver glasses so it might be difficult to do.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 11:27am
post #4 of 4

maybe do their logo on a cake.... if you have edible imaging capabilities maybe you take a picture like that and do it??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%