Well, Now I've Seen It All --Please Let Me Vent

Business By StCakes Updated 4 Apr 2007 , 11:32am by bethola

StCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StCakes Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 49

I worked my first and last day at the bakery. I don't even know where to begin venting my frustrations!! The place was filthy, the frosting was rancid STINKY rancid, I couldn't understand what was going on because I was the only English speaking employee aside from the girl who was working the counter who was getting in a tizzy that she needed to translate for me. The cakes were frozen and as I unwrapped them to decorate them, they were falling apart crumbly as can be. Nothing there was crumb coated, there were no tips- everything was done freehand. I dropped something and bent down to pick it up and saw something scurry across the floor and said something to the counter girl about it and she just shrugged it off. The other decorators were eating scraps as they went along and please tell me where is the health department in all of this! icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif Thank you for letting get this off my chest!!!

48 replies
famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 49

May I please ask what bakery that was???

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 49

Yikes, I'd be the first one to call if I were you!

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 49

eeeeewwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 49

Yeah, I think I'd be making an anonymous call to the Health Dept.!!

StCakes Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by famousamous

May I please ask what bakery that was???

Two wrongs dont make a right, but if you know Staten Island, I can give you a general area to avoid via PM

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdutcher

Yeah, I think I'd be making an anonymous call to the Health Dept.!!

ditto!

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 49

OMGosh!!! icon_eek.gif How Nasty!!!! thumbsdown.gif Please call the local health department!! Who knows how many lives you may save?!?!?! Or at least keep some unsuspecting person or child from becoming deathly ill!?!?! icon_sad.gif That's HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif

Ladymike

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 49

Really, I think it is in the customer's best interest for you to contact the health department. It doesn't matter where the health inspector has been...the point is that he or she obviously does not know that these conditions exist in this bakery. There are serious foodbourne illnesses that can be contracted when food has been exposed to these conditions.

Please do your fellow NYers a favor and clue the health department in!!!!!

On a side note...OMG, how did you last a whole day there?!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would of snuck out the door and never come back!!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 49

Exactly, people get very, very sick from eating food prepared in conditions such as you described, which is exactly why God made Health Departments! Somebody in a position of authority needs to be made aware of this before something awful happens.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 8:14pm
post #11 of 49

Contact the health department. That a shame, and they are making cakes for people thumbsdown.gif ? How gross.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 8:15pm
post #12 of 49

How did they decorate without tips? icon_confused.gif

mpaigew Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 8:19pm
post #13 of 49

Ya know, I just have to say this...it just burns me how some food establishments are so IRRESPONSIBLE! If you want to serve food, do the work and go the distance to protect the unsuspecting people you are serving it to!

StCakes Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 8:20pm
post #14 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

How did they decorate without tips? icon_confused.gif

Icing was crammed in the piping bag and the tip was sliced off. It looked nice, but there was no real detail to the cakes. Very basic, but almost a step up from what you would see in WalMart but at $9 per slice!!! A small bakery out here charges anywhere between 7-10 bucks a slice and I know the owners are deep in the pockets but it blows my mind!!

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 8:24pm
post #15 of 49

I feel sick to my stomach now.
icon_redface.gif

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 8:29pm
post #16 of 49

That's nasty! icon_sad.gif

StCakes Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 8:31pm
post #17 of 49

My brother thinks that I should call the owners first before I call the health department and tell them because he just cant see if they knew about this, why they havent put a stop to it. I do need to call them and let them know I won't be coming back tomorrow and it is for the cleanliness factor so wish me luck!

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 8:32pm
post #18 of 49

Let us know what they say, I am just curious if they will be surprised or if they will do anything about it.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 8:34pm
post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by StCakes

so wish me luck!

OMG - good luck! I really think you owe it to public to turn them in. I can't fathom anyplace that filthy! Ewwwww....I hate rats! icon_cry.gif I totally have the creeps!

nalyjuan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nalyjuan Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 8:40pm
post #20 of 49

Good Luck that is so gross!

I live in FL and there was something I was listening to on the radio which said there was a takeout food place where someone was trying to break into and the cops had to enter. Well while they looked around for the light switch they noticed with their flashlights mounds of 'blackness' on the counter. When they turned on the lights the mounds scattered (they were roaches ..gross). Well, when the owner finally entered the officers told him and he said that was OK because it was the rice for the next day. Blah...I don't know the name of the place but I do know it was somewhere in the West Palm Beach area.

I can't understand how someone could be so careless.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 5:25am
post #21 of 49

By now you have probably quit, but just a thought.... if you tell him you are leaving because of sanitation and then you call the Health Dept, of course he will know it was you....if they are shut down, they will be mad, and those deep pockets will be empty....you have cut them down... just thinking how some people might react to that. I am thinking about going postal thing. On the other side, you have an obligation as a human being, to notify the proper authorities. They should be shut down until they clean that place up. I would love to be a Health Inspector, I know of many places that would be closing their doors, permanently!!

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 5:48am
post #22 of 49

Ewwww! GROSS! You just never know what goes on behind the scenes.

I am sooo picky!!! Cleanliness in NUMBER 1.

Because I am concerned with cross contamination, I have one area and mixer for batter (egg) prep and another area and mixer for frostings, fillings etc.

And, I use Clorox EVERYDAY!

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 6:42am
post #23 of 49

I'd tell them the language barrier made communication impossible and that was your reason for leaving. I would not say anything to the owner. I would not give him a chance to clean up his act because this is exactly the sort of business that needs to be monitored and the authorities need to be aware of.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 8:24am
post #24 of 49

Yikes. It's amazing that some of these places can stay in business.

Definitely tell the owner exactly why you are leaving but I wouldn't suggest reporting them to the health department. IMO make the owner aware and go about your business.

Congrats for getting out of there! Can you imagine working in the enviroment for an extended period of time? It may turn you off of cake for good. icon_surprised.gificon_cool.gif

mpaigew Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 12:57pm
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorioustwelfth

I'd tell them the language barrier made communication impossible and that was your reason for leaving. I would not say anything to the owner. I would not give him a chance to clean up his act because this is exactly the sort of business that needs to be monitored and the authorities need to be aware of.

I totally agree! They are being careless. If you let them know of the reason you are leaving, the situation might improve for a week or so, but chances are that it will go right back to how it was before if are no repercussions for how they are keeping their business. I also agree with what someone else said...if the health inspector does come and shut them down, and you told them that you were leaving because they were filthy, what if they come back on you????

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 1:14pm
post #26 of 49

I know I certainly would not want to be an unsuspecting customer who ordered a cake from them. I WOULD NOT tell the owners. The owners are no fool. I'm sure they had to go through a rigorous inspection to get the place set up and they probably know all the ruules. With that said, they either have not been there in a while to check on things, or they are aware of the conditions and have turned a blind eye. Either way, it's negligence and they deserve to be reported to the health dept.!!! Maybe they are operating that way because no one has had enough guts to turn them in.

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 1:21pm
post #27 of 49

Absolutely report them to the health department but DON'T tell them why you are really leaving. I would hate for them to get worried and then have someone come through and completely clean the place before the health department got there for fear of an inspection. They would let things get just as bad again. IMO, their doors need to be SHUT!! Yucky!

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 1:28pm
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigMomma

Ewwww! GROSS! You just never know what goes on behind the scenes. ....And, I use Clorox EVERYDAY!

Just to let you know clorox is not a safe product to use around food.

bubbatx657 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubbatx657 Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 1:32pm
post #29 of 49

If the owners are that absent from the business, then they do not have any business being in this business. Call the health department!! If they have deep pockets they will clean up the situation. People will not learn a lesson unless it cost them something.

I gaurantee the owners know what is going on. Call the Health Department!! They are no different then any other owner that does not keep a clean facility. THey won't change unless they are made to change!

mpaigew Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 1:41pm
post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefperl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigMomma

Ewwww! GROSS! You just never know what goes on behind the scenes. ....And, I use Clorox EVERYDAY!

Just to let you know clorox is not a safe product to use around food.

??? How are you supposed to sanitize then? The proper way to sanitize work surfaces is to first wash with soapy water, and the sanitize with a water-bleach solution. The same goes for utensils, pots, and other dishes. Wash with soapy water, rinse with hot water, and sanitize with water-bleach solution.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%