Question About Wilton's Tall Tier Cake Stand

Decorating By AgentCakeBaker Updated 19 Apr 2005 , 8:18pm by AgentCakeBaker

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 4

If anyone has used this stand before, can you please help me. My first wedding cake order is due Sunday and my client wants to use the tall tier cake stand. I've never used it before obviously if this is my very first wedding cake.

Anyway, she only has three tiers in sizes 6, 8, and 10 inches. I only need to use the three smaller plates of the cake stand but I noticed that only the largest plate has legs. What should I do? Should I use the bottom plate (18") and put some garland around it to take away from the extra space between the cake and the end of the plate?

Need some help. Getting a little nervous. I've attached a link so you could see what I'm talking about.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30BB93-475A-BAC0-52555DC793C1FEC1&fid=3E33109F-475A-BAC0-514197B5E889D67F

3 replies
msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 4

The legs do not actually come on the bottom plate you need to glue them on. The only time I used this stand we used the additional bottom thing that makes the satalite cakes so I did not glue the legs on the bottom plate.

You could get an extra 12 inch plate and glue legs on it and charge her for the plate and replacement legs

Or you could set the plate on voltive cups turned upside down. It will have to set on something as there is a nut that holds it together

don't forget to plan ahead the plates do not sit flat so you need a hole cut in foam to transport.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 4

I have used this stand before because I actually own it. Now the one I bought had the legs already glued on the largest plate.
But yes, you can buy additional legs and plates for the stand. Now when gluing the legs on I recommend using super glue. It will set up fast and hold fast under the weight of cake.
msmeg is right about gluing the legs on the 12" plate for the stand. Also if you don't have it already, get the cake corer tube- makes life so much easier. Also, wilton states to put fill your cakes with filling and then cut the center out. I recomend cutting the centers out first and then fill them. That way you don't have filling ooozing out of the middle onto your cake stand. Also, don't forget to cut the center out on your boards. Then on the top cake, only cut the center out on the board and the bottom layer of your cake. The top nut does stick up a little bit into the cake. If you forget and put a hole through the whole cake (like I did) just put flowers into the hole and no one will notice the difference. icon_wink.gif
If you click on the photos link at the bottom of my post, I have a pic of a cake that I did using the stand. It's called Wendy's Baby Shower cake.
Hope this helps!
m0use

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 4

The stand that I have did come with the legs already glued to the bottom plate. So I guess I will have to go to the cake supply store to buy an additional 12" plate and legs.

I did get the corer tube. Thank goodness! I've also read about the holes to cut in the cake board as well. I'm glad that she didn't want any filling. What a job this will be.

Thanks guys for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%