Toba Garrett's French Vanilla Bc

Decorating By WebDiva Updated 24 Mar 2006 , 10:32am by luggi

WebDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WebDiva Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 7:19pm
post #31 of 41

One thing that I've found with this icing is that you can't serve it cold...otherwise it does taste like butter. But other than that I can't understand why people are saying that it tastes like sweetened butter. It doesn't taste anything like this to me when served at room temperature. I personally found it to be delicious. My husband and everyone at the baby shower I served it at LOVED it and raved about how "light" it tasted. They also commented on how it wasn't "overly sweet".

Ah well...everyone has different tastes. I just don't want to discourage people from trying it because someone else doesn't like it. Give it a shot and if you don't like it fine, but you may like it. Personally, I'm not particularly fond of the icings made with shortening and powdered sugar (they are ok, but nothing great IMHO), but other people seem to like them a lot, so I will make them if someone requests it. I wouldn't want my personal taste to get in the way.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 7:42pm
post #32 of 41

I don't think there's a buttercream icing that everyone will like.

I made a cake iced with IMBC for my daughter's last birthday. That icing also has a lot of butter in it and isn't as sweet as powdered sugar buttercream. One of my husband's nieces (who is 25), came into the kitchen after she'd eaten a few bites of her cake and asked if I had any cake with frosting "with sugar in it." lol. I think if you're only used to eating very sweet icings, the subtle sweetness of a meringue buttercream or the French vanilla buttercream might not be enough for you. I think the fact that my niece smokes probably makes her tastebuds not as sensitive, too.

I haven't tried this French vanilla buttercream yet, but I'm going to soon. It sounds interesting.

Sometime I think it would be fun to have a blind taste test of various kinds of buttercream icings with my family and friends. I'd make up samples of one type of cake (like a yellow cake) topped with four or five different kinds of buttercream. I wonder if one or another would stand out as a favorite?

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 7:52pm
post #33 of 41

I made the Toba Garrett BC yesterday after seeing it several times and wondering how it was...ugh! Yuck! LOL! I used it as a filling in an 11x15 sheet; what a mistake. The cake was due tonight, and I ended up chucking it and starting over this morning. The icing was ok (after I added A LOT of confectionary sugar) until I had put the leftover icing in the fridge and noticed how hard and butter-like it got. It really did just taste like sweet butter. Such a waste! Guess that's what I get for trying it out on a paying order!!!

WebDiva Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 7:53pm
post #34 of 41

I want to try IMBC or SMBC next. All I know is that after my hubby tasted the French Vanilla BC, I asked him if I should use that for the baby shower cake or use the regular buttercream (thinking that's what most people like)...there was no contest...he told me to use the French Vanilla. I'm glad I did.

WebDiva Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 8:09pm
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaigew

I made the Toba Garrett BC yesterday after seeing it several times and wondering how it was...ugh! Yuck! LOL! I used it as a filling in an 11x15 sheet; what a mistake. The cake was due tonight, and I ended up chucking it and starting over this morning. The icing was ok (after I added A LOT of confectionary sugar) until I had put the leftover icing in the fridge and noticed how hard and butter-like it got. It really did just taste like sweet butter. Such a waste! Guess that's what I get for trying it out on a paying order!!!

Like I said earlier, this is definitely not something that you would use right out of the fridge. When I've put it in there, I take it out, let it get to room temp, and then whip it up some until it's the right consistancy. It is also not meant to be too sweet, so I don't know what adding powdered sugar would do to the consistancy of it...but willing to bet it wouldn't be the same. I used it not only for my icing this weekend, but I added some seedless rapsberry jam to some of it and used it as a filling.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 8:16pm
post #36 of 41

Try DeDe Wilsons Essential BC. These buttercreams are not for people who like the shortening BC. Here again, the taste is very subtle.

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 8:17pm
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDiva

Quote:

Like I said earlier, this is definitely not something that you would use right out of the fridge. When I've put it in there, I take it out, let it get to room temp, and then whip it up some until it's the right consistancy. It is also not meant to be too sweet, so I don't know what adding powdered sugar would do to the consistancy of it...but willing to bet it wouldn't be the same. I used it not only for my icing this weekend, but I added some seedless rapsberry jam to some of it and used it as a filling.

Well, everyone has different tastes, and I really thought it tasted like I was eating a stick of butter. Surprisingly, the confectionary sugar didn't do anything to the consistency; before it was put in the refrigerator, it was still very, very smooth and light. I'm not a big fan of the whipped cream style icings, so maybe that's why I thought it was awful. I had reservations about using it as a filling (and that was before I had put it in the fridge and found out how hard it gets) because it wasn't very sweet, so I guess I should of just gone with my first instinct of not using it. Live and learn!

WebDiva Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 8:19pm
post #38 of 41
Quote:

I'm not a big fan of the whipped cream style icings, so maybe that's why I thought it was awful.

Yes, that's definitely why you didn't like it...lol...in her book, it says something like "use this when looking for a whipped cream type of icing" lol...sorry you didn't like it.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 8:25pm
post #39 of 41
Quote:

The icing was ok (after I added A LOT of confectionary sugar) until I had put the leftover icing in the fridge and noticed how hard and butter-like it got. It really did just taste like sweet butter. Such a waste! Guess that's what I get for trying it out on a paying order!!!

Icings like this are never meant to be eaten cold. IMBC and SMBC are the same way. They don't taste like icing at all when they're hard from the fridge.

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 10:04am
post #40 of 41

I LOVE MBC, any of them. I think it's good to try them all and that way when someone asked you for a certain type, you'll already know some different options. I think alot of it does happen to be what your used to. There's a person out here we used to get all our cakes from, before I got into this, and she did the MBC frosting. Everyone else in town got there cakes from her too. She was known for her icing. Ofcourse at the time I had no idea how she did it. I do now!

luggi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luggi Posted 24 Mar 2006 , 10:32am
post #41 of 41

Everybody has a different taste and I think the only way to find out which recipe is the best for you, you have to try and try and try ..... icon_lol.gif

I didn't know about the stiff variation of buttercream (butter and lots and lots of sugar) before I found that page. Buttercream meant a soft and fluffy cream to me. In our family we use a recipe that has pudding in it.

1 package pudding (the sort you have to cook with 2 cups of milk)
100 g sugar
500 ml milk (2 cups)
200 to 250 g butter (room temperature)

Cook the pudding as the instruction on the package says with the sugar and milk. Let it come tho room temperature. Mix the pudding until smooth. Beat the butter in a seperate bowl until light and fluffy. Then add spoonful of pudding and mix until well blended. Butter and pudding have to be at same temperature!
It's a very soft buttercream that has to be refrigerated. If you want it stiffer take 50 g (or more) shortening by cutting down the amount of butter.
You can use any pudding flavour you want to but I think the recipe won't work with instant pudding.

Perhaps this may help somebody! If not it will increase choice and confusion icon_razz.gif

Luggi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%