Mini Wedding Cake - Small Cake Pan Set

Decorating By TheCakeWizard Updated 20 Mar 2006 , 12:37am by TheCakeWizard

TheCakeWizard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeWizard Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 19

A lot of folks have looked at my Mini Wedding Cake displays that I posted yesterday.

A few of you inquired about small pan sets.

I was just out on eBay and found an auction for a 3 pan set in exactly the sizes I used to make my displays: 4"x2", 3"x2" and 2"x2". They are by Magic Line.

The auction number is MAGIC LINE SMALL PAN SET - See eBay auction 4445268004. $13.50 (Buy It Now) plus S/H. There are only 4 sets available.

Just thought I'd pass that along to anyone who might want to make these adorable little cakes and has way too much free time on their hands!!!
LL

18 replies
cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 12:55pm
post #2 of 19

Thanks for the tip!! Your cakes are just gorgeous!!

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 19

Your mini cakes are soooo beautiful!

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 19

What did you use to separate the tiers? Are there separator plates made for mini cakes?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 19

Those are SWEET!!!

I'm curious, though...do you really find it advantageous to bake in tiny pans vs. using pastry rings or cutters to bake a 9 x 13 and just cut your layers that way?

Are those separators white plastic toothpicks?

I just LOVE these cakes!!

partsgirl25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
partsgirl25 Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 19

cakewizard, you must be the most talented & patient cake artist ever! i broke down & ate my mini cake after wrestling with the icing for 20 minutes.

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 19

Cakewizard - these are beautiful! Wow! I have the exact same pan set that you are talking about. I did have some problems with the 2", kinda hard to ice smooth. I'm actually thinking of using a poured icing next time, like petit fours. I would also love to hear what you used for the pillars - they are so cute! thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 19

it looks almost like dowels covered in white fondant??? I'd love to know to I have been thinking about trying these mini cakes.....they're so adorable......adn I think would make a great gift to give to someone who lives alone and doesn't have "help" finishing off a whole big cake by themselves (although I have never had an issue, normal people might LOL)

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Mar 2006 , 1:22am
post #9 of 19

I am also curious about the 2" I have used mine twice and also have a hard time icing it. Any tips?

Those seperator plates are just so cute! What did you use?

Very Very beautiful cakes-I hope to make some like that someday.

leily

TheCakeWizard Posted 18 Mar 2006 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 19

First of all, I had to make these as DISPLAY cakes for Michael's wedding extravaganza that will happen on April 2nd so they are styrofoam on the inside. I cut the styrofoam into 4", 3" and 2" discs and then rolled them around on my countertop until they were smoothed out and not full of styrofoam chips. Then I covered them in their respective fondant colors and decorated them during 2 different demos at my store to try to entice people to sign up for my Wilton Classes.

The "pillars" are actually the Wilton stabalizer pegs. They were about the right height and width to look proportional and I figured I could just push the plain end down through the bottom tier and then the upper part of the peg has a small disc that I just glued to the underside of the upper tiers with royal icing. The separator plates above the pegs are just cardboard covered in aluminum foil. I actually made them like donuts so I could imbed the tops of the pegs into the styrofoam.
The base plates are 7" mirrors that I got at Michael's.

mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 18 Mar 2006 , 11:46pm
post #11 of 19

Very Creative !!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 12:00am
post #12 of 19

Thanks for all that information! But... what are the Stabilizer Pegs? I don't think I have ever seen them in my area.... or I dont' know what I am looking at... either one.

Leily

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 12:29am
post #13 of 19

Haha, the picture is very deceiving! That the mirrors are 7" in diameter puts everything into better perspective.

Very nice work!

~ Sherri

TheCakeWizard Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 1:57am
post #14 of 19

The pegs are item 399-762 on the Wilton web site. They call them just plastic pegs. They fit into the very shallow round indents in plastic separator plates when you use the plate/pillar/plate method of pillared construction.

Here is the link if it will take in this reply,
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E311B76-475A-BAC0-5EF476FB742AB190
LL

Richard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richard Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 2:11am
post #15 of 19

I bought those pans off the e-bay tonight they were just what I was looking for thanks for the info. Your cakes are beautiful and very nicely decorated. I admire such wonderful display of artist talents.

Kathy R

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 2:23am
post #16 of 19

When I look at those cakes I know why you are the cake wizard!!!!!
They are so beautiful!

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 2:49am
post #17 of 19

CakeWizard! Hey, where've you been hiding? I'm glad to see you post. Your mini cakes are fantastic!
I have the Magic Line 2-tiered mini pan (2" and 3" together) and I have found that it is much easier to decorate than having that tiny little 2" cake to deal with. I am also planning on trying the poured fondant when I get a chance to play some more with these. I see that Magic Line has a 6 cavity 3-tiered pan also, tempting!!! (I saw them on the sugarcraft.com site) I just adore the mini cakes.

MakinCakes43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MakinCakes43 Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 8:20pm
post #18 of 19

Your cakes are beautiful. I too bought the pans, can't wait until they arrive, I would like to try my hand at mini wedding cakes.

It takes a creative mind, to master that project.

Thanks for all of your information!!!!!

TheCakeWizard Posted 20 Mar 2006 , 12:37am
post #19 of 19

I can't take the credit for the ideas, only for the execution of them. I had to make these for the Michael's store in which I teach so I looked on their web site to see what kind of cakes they had out there. I used their cakes as the basis for these displays. The peach one is a derivation of one of the cakes pictured in the Wilton Course 3 work book. I just made it a 3 tier instead of a 2 tier stacked cake.
But thank you to all of you for your kind words. They actually came out nicer than I had hoped.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%