Powdered Sugar

Decorating By momof3jotynjake Updated 19 Apr 2005 , 7:50pm by veejaytx

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 19

I BOUGHT SOME POWDERED SUGAR AT WALMART TODAY, IT DOES CONTAIN BEET. ANYONE NOTICE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN USING ONE WITH THE BEET SUGAR AS OPPOSED TO NO BEET?

THANKS!

18 replies
Jennkrem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennkrem Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 19

beet sugar breaks down easier than powdered sugar with cornstarch (3%). I would save it for something other than icing.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 19

Well, being a newbie to all of this, I paid no attenttion to that kind of thing. I have been making all of my icings with the Walmart brand powdered sugar, and have not had any issues with it whatsoever. ( although I do seem to have to add more than the recipe requires) There hasn't been any problems that I have noticed with any of the cakes I have made this far. It crusts just fine, spreads fine, no problems here with it. (what is supposed to go wrong when you use beet vs. cane?)

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 19

Some friends and I were talking about just this issue the other night. Supposedly it's fine in regualr icing but will give you some trouble with royal icing!

Loucinda Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 19

I have done both royal and buttercream with it (through course I, II and I am now on 3rd class of III) Not any problems - in fact my MIL has the basketweave cake on display and it still looks like I just made it. (and it is several weeks old now!)

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 19

While I dont use it anymore, I successfully used the walmart brand for about 1 1.5 years with no problems.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 19

I don't think there's a thing wrong with using the beet sugar for your icings. I've used the Wal Mart brand for years and there's no difference from the C&H sugar I'd used always before that. If C&H ("pure cane sugar from Hawaii" as it used to be advertised. Although I'm not sure it still comes from there.) was cheaper I'd use it again. As far as having to use more maybe there's a little less in a bag once in a while. There've been times I've had to add a little more sugar or more liquid. I sure don't blame it on the sugar. I'm not sure what's meant by the beet sugar breaking down. Also this Wal Mart brand has cornstarch in it too. Being ground superfine and cornstarch added is what makes it powdered sugar. I believe our sugar all comes from beets or sugar cane. It all tastes the same to me. Ü

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 6:34pm
post #8 of 19

most brands except Cand H and Domino contain beet sugar Walmart just seems to be the only one that puts the source of their sugar.

I see no difference in buttercreme frosting I understand some say their is a difference in baked good but unless it says 100% cane sugar it isn't all the time

Loucinda Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 19

Thanks ladies! I was wondering if I was missing something or not. The times I have had to add extra sugar may also have something to do with the humidity level too. I just know I am happy with the results I have with it and have no reason to change or use something more expensive.

cakeconfections Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 6:48pm
post #10 of 19

I dont think there will be a flavor difference, but there might be a slight texture difference. Dom. and Sugar Cane are 10x, which means the granuals are very very fine. Walmart might only be 6x or 4x which is not as fine. Most would not feel that difference. After using the 10x i can notice a slight difference, but nothing to make me compalin about using it.

momof3jotynjake Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeconfections

I dont think there will be a flavor difference, but there might be a slight texture difference. Dom. and Sugar Cane are 10x, which means the granuals are very very fine. Walmart might only be 6x or 4x which is not as fine. Most would not feel that difference. After using the 10x i can notice a slight difference, but nothing to make me compalin about using it.

ok great!! cant beat 1.00 for a 2lb bag of powdered sugar icon_smile.gif!!! lol!!
fits my budget just fine.
imgoing to try it out tonite for my class cake. ill let you all know how it comes out!! thaks!!

Loucinda Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 6:52pm
post #12 of 19

I thought all powdered sugars were 10X? It doesn't have that information on the bag.

cakeconfections Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 6:55pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcrew

I thought all powdered sugars were 10X? It doesn't have that information on the bag.

No not all sugars are 10x. I assume that they are not unless they say 10x. I would want to guess that walmart is 6x.

Loucinda Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 7:00pm
post #14 of 19

Thanks for that info - once again, I have learned something new here! I just love this site. thumbs_up.gif

momof3jotynjake Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 7:08pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeconfections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcrew

No not all sugars are 10x. I assume that they are not unless they say 10x. I would want to guess that walmart is 6x.

im looking at the walmart powdered sugar bag and it does not say what X is...

Loucinda Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 7:38pm
post #16 of 19

I have to go out to the store tonight, I am going to do some investigating of the powdered sugar bags. icon_biggrin.gif

galaglow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galaglow Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 7:44pm
post #17 of 19

By the way, has anyone ever tried the GIANT bags of powdered sugar at Costco? I was thinking of buying one the other day, but I didn't have a big enough airtight container to keep it in.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 7:50pm
post #18 of 19

i use the walmart brand powder sugar, and maybe becuase i am new i think it is fine....and fits my budget. although i did get tired of buying one pound at a time so now i go to SAMS and buy 7 pounds for $3.44 which ends up being a very great deal. i have a food bin that i bought from a health food store that went out of business. i put my flour, sugar, powder sugar, and cookie cutters in it. if anyone lives nearby, i have three others that i will sell very cheap....they are large and heavy so you need to live close to kansas city kansas and have a pick up truck.
anyway, love the powder sugar from sams and cosco!
melody

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 7:50pm
post #19 of 19

I just went to look at the Imperial that I bought at Walmart last week. (Imperial is a brand made here in Texas, in case you hadn't heard of it), I don't know if it is available all over the US or not.
It is sugar & cornstarch, 10x, I used it last night for MMF.

Until now I'd been using Walmart's with no complaints, but when I realized the Imperial was only 8 cents more I went ahead and got some of it.
The BC that I made from it was possibly a little smoother than with the Walmart, and the MMF came out very smooth and creamy. Maybe it was worth the extra pennies after all. Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%