Are You Happy With Your Job/life?

Lounge By cakegurl06 Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 2:00pm by Sagebrush

cakegurl06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegurl06 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 56

I hate my life. I hate my job. Every day when I come to work I just want to sit at my desk and cry because the thought of spending another eight-hour day in this place makes me want to run screaming out into the street. I have a great job at a good company and I make really good money. But I hate it. I feel so smothered here. I work in an Acctg. job and I manage people and the people I manage are more trouble than they are help and I just want them all to go away. I dream of being an event planner or caterer or owning a bakery. I want to do something creative with my life, not punch in numbers on a spreadsheet day after day. I work full time, have a teenage daughter who is very emotionally draining, and I go to school at night, so I have a ton of stress and no free time. Even if I had free time it wouldn't matter because I have few friends and the ones I do have are not close. I've always had fewer close friends rather than many acquaintances, but two years ago I lost both my two closest friendships. One of them, the closest one, I caught stealing money from the company we work at and I had to fire her and our friendship was never the same after that and now we really don't keep in contact at all. She moved away anyway. The other one was always a high-maintenance friendship that was all give on my part and all take on hers and when I finally stood up for myself it was the end of our friendship because she blamed it all on me and said she didn't want to be friends anymore. So now I have no close friends and a boring job I can't stand and no free time and I hate my life! I always wonder if I moved somewhere to a smaller town (I live in Calif. and people aren't really easy to make friends with out here I've found) maybe I would have more friends and life would have a less-stressful pace. My husband doesn't want to ever leave CA because he likes to garden and he says you can't beat the weather out here and if we lived anywhere where it got really cold or really hot (which is everywhere else, he thinks) he wouldn't be able to stand being outside in the garden so he would be miserable there. Maybe moving isn't the answer anyway. Maybe that's just "the grass is always greener on the other side" mentality. Does anyone else ever feel like they just want to start a new life?

55 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 56

I have this weird thing..I won't allow myself to utter the words 'I hate my life' (even though I really want to) because I feel like I am supposed to be thankful....that the kids are healthy, we have food, a house, etc. That said, I cannot tell you how often I feel 'frozen'. I am a single mother of 4 and try to make ends meet selling eBay but it is really hard. All too often the house is trashed, I am exhausted and the kids are grouchy....... I am still struggling and will probably do so until the end of time.

Guess my post wasn't very inspirational...more of a "I feel your pain" sort of thing icon_cry.gif

mom23kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom23kids Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 56

I'm no expert...but from my experience..I've lived in 3 different states in the past couple of years and problems stick with you. The grass isn't greener on the other side....just seems that way. Have you tried getting more serious about your hobbies? Maybe cut back a little at work. I think it would work wonders just to know you have a certain amount of time set aside for yourself and what you Want to do..not just HAVE to do. If you start taking more time for yourself the other problems may not be so bad...you deserve it.Just my 2 cents worth. Best of Luck to you. icon_smile.gif

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 56

I'm at a very similar point in my life. I have a great job, but it is not satisfying. I live in AZ (Phoenix, metro), and things are so expensive and people are so hurried, sometimes I just want to slow down and smell the air. I grew up in the SF bay area so green is close to my heart, get none of that here. I am also short on close friends. I have someone that I can talk to about almost anything, but we are both busy moms and we don't get to talk to or see eachother much. Most of my good friends I have had for years and years (one since I was ten), but they all live in different states. I am about to get divorced and become a single mom (my son is 3.5), and I have actually made the decision to pick up and move across the country. So yes, I have had that desire to start a new life and I plan on doing it (with my son). I think you need to sit down and talk to your husband about the way you are feeling. He likes to garden, but you CAN garden anywhere, you just have to be creative, and if you are truly unhappy where you are at he needs to listen to your needs as well. I'm not saying you should just pick up and move, I have personally never been happy in AZ and dread having my son go through the schools here. Plus it's a way for me to get away from my bad marriage for good. Also, where I'm moving I have family so I've got the connection already.
Basically, I just want you to know you are not alone. I'm curious, and this may be prying, but are you in your early/mid thirties? I am about to turn 32 and I seem to be having this life crisis thing going on and from what I understand a lot of women go through it. I thought I was immune to thinking about aging, but suddenly it is upon me. What mom23kids said is true. The grass is not always greener. You really need to have reasons to move, things that will absolutely change your life for the better if you move.

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 56

I would like to take this chance to share with you about my life. At 16 I was raped. My dating experiences afterwards wasn't much better. I married at 20 and had a baby at 21. I also divorced at 21 (he wanted it and even though I was unhappy I did not). After that was a couple of years I dated a man who did not tell me he was married. He was in the service so this was easily done. Eighteen months into it I found out. I was crushed! He had taken me to look at wedding rings, we had looked at property and talked about our future together, etc. After that I dated a guy (he ended up moving in with me) for about eight years. He was the jealous type, but not abusive. This is what was so conflicting to me. I will not bore you with all the details, but I did make him move out of my house. I did get a formal education (not in the food industry) and I thought that what I was doing was great and rewarding. In reality, the only thing great and rewarding was my paycheck! Last summer I met a guy who emotionally I fought with all I had in me not to love. Not at first of course, but we ended up getting married (and it was after that).
On a Tuesday (second week of January) I sat in my car before walking into work and told God that I could not continue to work at this place, do my job as it was, and stay married. It was just way more pressure than I could handle. I had worked at this establishment for over two years, was well liked among my peers and with the general laborers, other people that I dealt with on a daily basis. On Thursday I was called into the administrators office and was "written up" for things that had "gone wrong" on days when I was NOT even there (for those days it was someone elses job). On Friday I was terminated. I was devastated! For a moment when I got to my car, I had trouble breathing (panic attack I suppose). I had only ever been terminated from one other job and that was at a fast food place when I was 16 because the boss didn't like my sister (she worked there too in management). I called my husband (whom I had demanded that he leave and I would file for divorce) and he rushed to be by my side. At that moment I knew that God had answered me. I knew that my time at that place was done. More than anything I had to let everything go and not only let God, but trust God to take care of ME. It has taken me months to realize and truly grasp the idea that God knows me and my needs better than I do. I do my best to repent when I have done something wrong/in sin and meet God half way. He wants us to do our part, but he will give us the desires of our hearts.
My husband and I still have days when we don't agree, but eventually we come together and we pray about it. We are coming to the close of an eight week course at church that is about marriage and what God expects from the husband and from the wife. Much of this is misinterpreted in todays society! We have been enlightened and are very thankful that God has allowed us to see how he wants to help us and how we need to "meet Him half way". By the way, if you do believe in God and His word....His words are that divorce is only justifiable by the hardening of a mans heart (after which someone has committed adultry). I am not trying to preach to you, but I only wish someone had shared this with me many years ago.
Sorry for getting long winded, but I do wish you the best and I will be praying for you.

justme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 56

well my life is going great right now... i have some close friends and about ready to graduate from college. but there are many times when i think what am i doing. who am i? but then i get excitied about the things that are going right and keep my mind on those.

my only suggestion to you is can you join any clubs or organizations.. cake clubs, fitness club. it is easier to meet people this way and you will probably make a new friend. and if you don't like your job, start looking at other jobs that might interest you. i would rather have a job that i love to go to then a job that pays well.

hth

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 56

I have two jobs one of my own making planning events for other people and the other as a part-time medical PA and the med PA job is really cra**y... I work in our National Health Service and it is soul destroying. In our specialty we don't audio-transcribe the letters anymore. The electronic dictation now gets sent over to South Africa and all we do is add in the patient details and check the spelling/grammar and make sure the letters make sense. Not what I signed up for originally. And when they reduced the secretarial support they reduced it by too many people so we're all under pressure with way too much work and additional clinics being added on to our workload all the time in order to bring down the waiting list time. I've gone on work to rule and will only do my 5 hrs a day and not a minute more now. They can go take a running jump if they think I earn enough to subsidise their penny-pinching... You know its time to make a change when the same theme recurrs time and time again in your thoughts.
I have only been keeping it up because I'm a coward and like having a guaranteed/regular income - well guaranteed as far as anything can be ever be in this life. I've really only made cakes for fun/friends/family until now, with a few exceptions, but this week I am on holiday and have been thinking hard - when I've not been on CC. I was having my hair done and suddenly found myself talking about cakes and drumming up some business all on the back of one photo I carry around with me (my comfort photo and reminder in low moments that I'm not a dead loss).
Dreading going back to work - only good thing about next week is that it will be a short one as Good Friday is a bank holiday here...hurray.

RachelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachelC Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 56

At one point in my life I did...not necessarily hated it...but feeling the sense that I was worth way more than what I was getting out of my job...I have an HR/Sales background..and working so many hours during the day, commission checks one month being awesome and other times crazy~ trying to meet quotes, blah blah blah...I was tired of it and needed a change. I too live in CA and I find that so many people work and work just to keep up with needed expenses...I was blessed to find a company that I am currently with that allows me to travel (which I love), I make up my own hours so I am pretty flexible with my family, vacations without the boss telling me when and when not...we need to get out of this rat race...and I think I'm so close to being out...the world's changed...we gotta change with it!

cakegurl06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegurl06 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 56

Thanks for the replies! It does help to know you're not the only one feeling unfulfilled. I forgot to mention - I've been at my job for 20 yrs! I think it's time for a change. The problem is, I make too much money and I can't find a comparable position somewhere else making the same amount of money because I don't have a degree. In my pay rate, no one will talk to me without a degree. That's why I'm in school. But I still have a yr. and a half of school. And it's hard! Its an accelerated program so there's so much work and I'm an overacheiver - always pushing myself to get the A. I put a lot more stress on myself that way too.

My husband is fabulous and we've only been married a year but he is the shining light in my life that keeps me getting out of bed every day and dragging myself through the day so I can get home and see him again. I'm very lucky to have him and he's very supportive. He just doesn't want to live anywhere else but CA.

Sugarbunz, yes, I am 38. So maybe it's a mid-life crisis kind of thing 'eh? 38 and I've been at this same company for 20 yrs - more than half my life! My job is soo boring.

Confectionary2, I enjoyed your story. That is very inspiring. I do believe in God - I just forget to let him take charge of things. I will pray about this. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and just for listening!

CakeLadyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLadyM Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 11:37pm
post #10 of 56

I have problems just like everyone else. Money is usually always "tight," my 14 year old seems to always need more than I can give, both emotionally and monetarily. My husband works full time, at a steady, above-average-paying job with great benefits. Although he's gone most of the day, and tired when he comes home at night, he still manages to spend 30-40 minutes a day with me catching up, or just being together with son and I. Been married 22 years. My mother is an Alzheimer's patient, and I have to travel 250 miles one way to see her once a month or so. So I hate that. My father's been deceased since 1988, he died of cancer at the age of 89. (Yes, I'm one of those people who was born to two people old enough to be grandparents.) We live in an older 1960's home, that to me, seems too small. My kitchen is the size of most apartment kitchens. Everything we own is, however, paid for. And with all of that said, I feel extremely, ultimately BLESSED every single day. Now--don't get me wrong, there are days when I'd rather eat rocks than to move around to take a bath or brush my teeth, or wash dishes, etc. I think everyone has their bad days.

But I'm a serious believer in the transfer of energy, either positive or negative. And I do believe in and practice Japa meditation. I also know for a fact, from personal experience, that what you think of, you become. Whatever you think about, comes to you. Whatever you focus on, becomes manifested. In other words, "thoughts become things." If we spend our time thinking about how unfulfilled we are, the universe will only return MORE unfullfilling experiences to us. If we spend our time thinking about how lucky we are, how good life is---and actually begin to BELIEVE what we think, then the universe will ultimately return to us MORE prosperity and happiness. The "creator" or "God" as some people believe, only has the energy we give out as a basis for what is GIVEN BACK to us!

After being deathly ill and wanting to die nearly every single minute of every single day for almost 10 years (yes--I said TEN years!), I have come to the point where I know that if I have friends, good food, a bit of money, a healthy family, and a decent, clean place to lay my head at night, then I'm FAR AHEAD of about 80% of the other people on this small planet! It did take going through some forms of loss of my humanity, and sheer hell and suffering to get to this place, but I wouldn't trade anything I went through to be here today.

It's like Joe Dirt said, "Life is what you make it." I took a long, torturous road to finally "get" that one!

-M-

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 5:20am
post #11 of 56

You know what? Sometimes, the grass is greener on the other side. We used to live in Houston and dh has a good job as a consultant and made good money. the problem was that when he worked in town the commute was horrible and if he wasn't in town it meant he was traveling and only home on weekends. We dealt with it until I was pregnant with kids #4 and my oldest was going to be starting kindergarten. I finally put my foot down and said, I can't do this by myself, I need help, you need to find another job. Keep in mind I suffer from depression, so while I know many people who could thrive in that position, I wasn't one of them. We put our house up for sale and moved in with my parents in Indiana where I grew up. My odlest started kindergarten there and hubby transferred to Chicago while he looked for another job. NOW, finding another job was easy, but finding one that wasn't on the east or west coast or in a big city, and didn't involve travel was much harder. A year later right before my second oldest was to start kindergarten dh got a job near Indy. We now live in a great school district right downt he street from the school and 5 minutes from dh's work. While things aren't perfect, the grass is definately greener. We put up with a lot to get here.

Sp, what's funny about the grass is greener bit is this... dh's co-workers complain about things and how they should get a different job. WE LAUGH and say they have no idea how good they all have it! So the question is, how bad is it really? I truly believe that you should do something that you love to do and not just something to pay the bills. We all have to do the job that pays the bills at some point in our life, but don't be afraid to go out there and find what really works for you. And in the same respect, don't be surprised if you change your life and realize you liked it better before. After all, you won't know what's out there unless you go for it.

Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 11:39am
post #12 of 56

I hate my life . I fail at every thing, I failed at college, have a job I hate, I have literally no money ever, my husband only cares about himself and heck I can't even have a baby! So yeah I wish that I could just sleep all day every day. I can't find any dr's to help with my depression. This town is worthless and I wish that it would burn to the ground. Sometimes the only people that I get to talk to all day are on cc. I have no friends anymore and can't stand my family or definatly my husbands family. I know I have a bad attitude but there is no end to this sadness because I have literally NOTHING to look forward to.

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 12:21pm
post #13 of 56

I think most of us have had days/weeks/or even months and years when we felt helpless to change our lives, despondent and desperate for change. For me, it came when my DH got transferred 700 miles away and we moved the family away from the town we'd both grown up in. I couldn't find a job there, couldn't make friends, etc. Finally, our marriage crumbled under the pressure and I left him to move back home with the kids. He came back, too, to be close to the kids. Very luckily, we worked through our problems and are still married.
I know my experience is pretty mild compared to what many, many others are going through, but I never really felt like my life came together until I gave it over to God. I don't want to preach or force my beliefs on anyone, but if you are a believer, please try to pray about this and give all the big stuff to God. It really made a difference in my life.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 1:59pm
post #14 of 56

In reading these posts it saddens me to read how many people are truly unhappy.I by no means have had a easy time either but compared to some,I can't complain.I am very blessed.I have 2 healthy kids,A great hard working hubby,a nice home and family and friends.but don't be mistaken....2 years ago it was hell!!! I too suffered from Panic and Anxiety attacks which darn near drove me mental.I couldn't leave the house,I got terribly thin,mentally....I felt like I had no control over my life and body.Finally I was put on medication and I feel like I am back to being normal.My business has really taken off,i joined a cake group once a month and I am busy all the time and that in itself was the seperation I needed of having my own thing to do other than kids,house etc..It has done wonders for my self esteem,personality and I feel appreciated when a customer rants and raves over my cakes.That to me is thanks enough!!It is important to find an outlet for you to personally excel at other than work,kids,family...take a class,join a group,volunteer to bake for an event...I wish you all the best in finding true happiness!!

KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 6:37pm
post #15 of 56

I have to say, my mom was right. She has always told me that I can complain all I want, but if it really bothered me I would make a change.

I work at a job that I absolutely love, with people who are my best friends. I may not make the best living, but I am incredibly satisfied with my job and thats what is most important to me. I come home from work laughing about a joke, or talking about an awesome case we saw, etc. Rarely do I come home stressed out and unhappy, and usually that only happens when I have to deal with a crappy client. I've been in jobs that paid much better, but left me drained and cranky at the end of the day . . . my home life suffered greatly as a result of my unhappiness. When I made the change to the office I am currently in my entire outlook changed quickly. Don't get me wrong, I still make sacrifices. I work Fri, Sat and Sun from 8 pm to 8 am . . . I don't have an actual day off with my boyfriend . . . but I do have Monday morning through Friday night off, which gives me personal time galore and means I can focus on my relationship better than I ever could before.

My boyfriend taught me a valuable lesson when we first started dating. I was in a really terrible place in my life . . . I wasn't speaking to my family, had gone through a horrible breakup from a violently abusive man and been stalked, been to court repeatedly for restraining orders, etc, and had moved and changed jobs 4 times trying to stay away from my ex. My life was pure and total hell. We had just started dating and my boyfriend sat me down and had me make a list of things that I wanted to change or new goals I wanted to set for myself. We made 3 categories: This Month, This Year, In 5 Years. Some of them were stupid, like stopping certain habits. Some were big, like sticking with a counseling plan for a full year. (I always gave up before.) Its 3 years later and I have accomplished everything on my original list and started a new one . . . and it was an amazing feeling to look at the original list and realize what huge strides I had taken in the last 3 years. I used to set goals but always gave up, figuring it was too much, or too lofty a goal, etc. I never felt good enough . . . and thanks to that list, I learned I can really honestly make any changes I ever want to! In 3 years my life and my outlook have completely changed, I am a totally different person, and I can honestly say I am happy with where I am.

Things will never be perfect, thats the fun of it all. You just need to find a place in this world where you are happy and fulfulled . . . I'd say, start a list!

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 7:16pm
post #16 of 56

You know...a couple years ago I lived in Columbus Ohio...well, a suburb of Columbus but used to the big city life and all the stresses that come with that. I was way in debt, about to go through bankruptcy and lose the house. My husband was in the same kind of job he's always been in...a cook in a restaurant. He was actually working at 2 jobs during that time since I was pregnant, wasn't able to stay at the crappy job where I'd worked previously. We ended up losing one of our cars in the bankruptcy, my dad was diagnosed with cancer (luckily, it was early prostate cancer and easily treatable), my brother was moving to Oregon, my best friend was moving to Texas and with all this, I had two kids and a brand new baby. It was a bad place, financially and did add alot of stress to my relationship with my husband.

Then, to top it of, my parents decided to move to Washington since my dad was retiring and it's where his whole family is from (mom's family is from California so closer too).

I did make a change. I convinced my husband to move to Washington also. We would be closer to my brother's family, closer to my whole extended family and remain close to my parents. His family is in Mexico so he didn't have a big attachment to Ohio anyway besides being the only place he knew in the USA. We both had good friends in Columbus but that was the only reason we could think of to stay there. The weather sucks there...freezing in winter, hot/humid in summer, tornadoes in spring...

We've been in a small town in WA almost a year and a half now. I started a new baking business last year with my mom and although it's alot of work, we love it. I'm also doing interpreting work at the local doctor's office once a week and absolutely love that. I don't think we would be nearly as successful as we have been in a big city environment. I get to see my 89 year old grandma weekly since she's only 1/2 hour away from here and that means alot to me. I do volunteer work in town and help out with my eldest son's soccer/baseball practices. My son's class size is small...there are 2 teachers, each with about 17 kids in each class. That is great for my shy boy. Also, my husband is much more successful in his job here. He got a job as a cook once again but in a newly opened restaurant. He quickly got promoted to assistant kitchen manager and is now training to be kitchen manager. I'm very proud of him. When he came to this country, he never dreamed he would be doing this well.

I keep in contact with friends back home through phone calls, email, myspace, etc.

Overall, we're all happier here. Sometimes it does take making a change. I think it's great that you're in school right now, working toward that degree. You have a year and a half left but that year and a half will go by quickly. After that, you will have so many more options. You could move and take that degree and you're 20 good years' experience to take along with you.

cakegirlnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirlnc Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 8:29pm
post #17 of 56

I absolutely hate my job. I wrote about about it in one of the other forums, "Go ahead and let it out" or something like that. I'm working as a receptionist while trying to finish college. It's the worst job ever. The people here barely speak to me, and complain when I have to give them another sales reps calls, which I am suppose to do. Then have the nerve to sit and blame me and rant and rave all while just sitting a few feet away. This week has been the worst. I think I have cried everyday either at work in the bathroom or in my car. It's hard to do your job when people treat you like a dog, my co-workers and our customers who call up and are some of the rudest %@*## I have ever spoken with. And now I need to start looking for a new job because I'm going to start full-time this fall at school and the classes have long labs to go with them. It's the Baking & Pastry Arts program at the college. So now I'm worried about trying to get a job with a local bakery for the experience but also because I will need a job. Stressing about the finances and everything is so hard to deal with right now. Plus everyday just the thought of coming to work makes me sick. So I guess I can say I know what you mean. Hopefully we'll get through it.

Good luck

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 8:34pm
post #18 of 56

I gotta say I'm not real happy in my life right now. We've been talking at my church about the Abundant Life and how there is a Gap between what God wants our life to be (Abundant) and what the Real World makes our life..... and how the Holy Spirit helps us bridge that Gap. It's been a really good series - easier to listen to and nod in agreement then actually do something but if anyone wants to listen - here is a link to the church website: http://www.necchurch.org/ss/sermon.php

I also just went through a good study at my church - the book is called Strength for the Journey... unfortunately Amazon doesn't have a picture of it - but here's a link to Amazon. They're selling used copies really cheap. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0767391055/?tag=cakecentral-20

This isn't to say I have my life in order - it's just to provide some resources. I'm not thrilled w/ my job - it's a good place, good people, good benefits - but it's boring. I spend a lot of my day just sitting in front of the computer doing nothing - which may sound like heaven to some people but let me tell you - it gets really really old really fast. There's only so much surfing you can do on the Internet before you just get tired and bored.

My husband and I have some issues and are going to see a marriage counselor and attend a Christian marriage conference ( http://www.moodyconferences.com/default.asp?SectionID=3BAD6CB5DEE14C5FB53582DF7DCF88AE ) We've also joined a small group with our church. I'm still not satisfied with my life - I need a career counselor, marriage counselor, personal trainer, and life coach! I don't have all of these but I just feel sometimes I need that extra person pushing me along - I've lost a lot of "zest" for life... but I'm trying to get it back and I'm praying and doing Bible studies and trying to learn and grow.

Ooh another helpful study series about listening for God's voice: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/103-0445172-8922266?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=priscilla+shirer

I'm going to say a prayer for all of you and I hope you'll say one for me too. Sometimes I think we come to God as a last resort when he should be our first resource in good times and times of trouble. I'm not trying to sound "preachy", but I'm just trying to share what I have found helpful. Hope some of you may find it helpful. If you want to know more about any of the links/books, etc, feel free to PM me.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 8:51pm
post #19 of 56

For the ones that hate your job, life, everything, etc... I wish I could be there for you a be your friend! A good, loyal friend makes a world of a difference. I haven't had one in a long time, I have one that we have kept in touch but not like I would wish to, but is a friend.

I have also found in Church the comfort and hope that I always longed for. Its not the perfect Church, but no one is.

Anytime you want to drop me a line, please feel free to do so. I will be glad to pm you my Email address. Seriously, I am all ears!!! There is alwasy someone out there that feels like you so its always good to share.

I am happy with my life. I have a wonderful husband and 2 beautiful girls. My life has not been easy but the struggles have served me to grow stronger and be a fighter.

I don't have a job right, but the one I had was okay. I chose to stay home with our 2nd baby and am planning to go back to work by the end of this year or beginning of the next.

Life is over before you know it. Lets take it one day at a time. Stop every now and then and look up to the sky. There is more to this life than we think.

LaSombra Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 8:57pm
post #20 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by imartsy

This isn't to say I have my life in order - it's just to provide some resources. I'm not thrilled w/ my job - it's a good place, good people, good benefits - but it's boring. I spend a lot of my day just sitting in front of the computer doing nothing - which may sound like heaven to some people but let me tell you - it gets really really old really fast. There's only so much surfing you can do on the Internet before you just get tired and bored.

imartsy: I know what you mean about the boring job. I used to work at a call center and Saturdays were the worst! I was there for interpreting Spanish calls, mostly and on Saturdays, the calls were few and far between. Sure, it's easy and sounds like heaven because you do nothing...but boooooring! We weren't even allowed to surf the web and they wouldn't let us read books between calls. I got in trouble once for reading a catalog on a Saturday. We just had to sit and wait for calls. Geez, I hated that job!

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:07pm
post #21 of 56

It's amazing how we can go through our days, people asking us "How ya doing?" we say "Fine?" and yet inside we are ready to implode. In reading these posts, one can only agree that life is hard. It is so painful quite often. I will say this though, that the life you have is precious and valuable. It has meaning and it has a purpose. God gave you the life you have for a reason. If it's too hard to take, go to Him, ask Him for help. He's not some entity out there in space that doesn't give a rip. He made you, He loves you and He wants you. I found this out many years ago when I was at the lowest point of my life. Yes, life has been tough, very painful at times, but I also found that when I go to Him, He is there for me with open arms. And He's not silent! His Word is a love letter of comfort and direction.
Please don't despair. I will keep you in my prayers.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:12am
post #22 of 56

I've got to say that I love my life! I feel blessed every day to be in a free country. I get to stay at home and raise my children. I love my family and they love me. We don't live in a fancy neighborhood or have a huge, fancy house, but we have love and faith and good health. For me that's what's most important.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:29am
post #23 of 56

I have times when I don't love my life, but I don't hate it. We are a middle class struggling week by week family. I am a SAHM. Not by my choice but by my DH. He is old fashioned but loves his kids and myself. He wants us to raise the children and if that means to give up luxurys then so be it. We have our ups and downs. I have no friends close either. All mine have moved out of state and lost touch. The one I was close to here quit talking because her husbands a real jerk. But I agree with most here...I let God in my life when I went to RCIA classes at Church, when I started going DH started...and you know it helped our marriage. We actually accomplished something together...finding God, which is what marriage is for...to get each other through life and to Heaven where everything is perfect and all our woes go away. I would like to extend my ears to any of you also. I know when to shut up and listen. Don't hate life..change it. If the job is your worries change it...I know it isn't easy, it never is, but isn't life to short to keep doing something you can't stand? We don't have a large house, expensive cars, money to throw around, but we have hearts and souls not to mention a few ears icon_smile.gif .

Big hugs CCers

Christi

kandio63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandio63 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 3:35am
post #24 of 56

I love to decorate cakes but where I work it gets boring and hectic at the same time. I have to do the same thing on every cake. I don't get to be creative. I do like the benefits it does help when you have a family. We aren't rich we are also a week to week family. You are right though, the lord is always there and helps you threw a lot you just have to listen when he does talk. HD has started going to church with our boys. I can't I have to work. But it has still helped us. We set and talk about it when I get home.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 9:59pm
post #25 of 56

Not that he's the answer to all financial problems but for some of you that mentioned finances, Dave Ramsey is a great author with books "Financial Peace" and a system - Financial Peace University that's taught at churches. I know it's helped a lot of people out. When we did a sermon series about money we had a few people from our church talk about how much they had been helped out through the Financial Peace University classes. You can probably get the book through your library too.

Just another little tidbit of help. Like I said before, my life isn't perfect and I'm not really happy right now but where I can offer help or a resource, I like to do so.

mkgsweims Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkgsweims Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 10:28pm
post #26 of 56

Life is not always a bowl full of cherries and often we feel that life controls us, instead of us controlling our lives. But we always have control over our attitude. It is amazing how great life can be when you just decide to be happy and content. Just remember how truly blessed we are; there are many people who are in far worse situations than us. Choose your attitude!

(I am not undermining anyone's feelings. It is good to vent and get it all out.icon_cry.gif Thank goodness for our CC support system.)

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:43am
post #27 of 56

Sooo... Yay, I'm not alone!! I am blessed and cursed all at once, and I can't seem to find peace with it. I have two jobs, and both pay OK for what I do. I don't have a degree in anything and I'm already a cake decorater at one job. I don't hate my jobs, but I find little joy in them anymore. I'm a nice person, and I tend to say OK a lot, so I work all kinds of crazy shifts, and once again, on a holiday so that someone with kids could have the day off.

I can't have kids. Does that mean I can't ever have holidays off? I had a hysterectomy almost 15 years ago--this isn't something new for me, and sometimes, it comes out of nowhere and smacks me upside the back of the head and it hurts. I know that fostering and adopting are options, but my husband is not fit to be a Dad.. he can't even stay awake for conversations, let alone keep up with kids. He's a nice guy, but I don't know what I feel for him anymore. I want to move out but I'm too chicken. I'm not being abused, I'm not in any danger, I just don't want to come home anymore. I don't even like my dogs anymore.

As for work. I love what I do, but I HATE working in retail. I hate hate hate it. I think that it should be mandatory for everyone to work in a crappy retail job for a year after high school so they can appreciate good service when they see it. I hate working in a video store and saying "I never have time to watch movies" I hate working in a bakery and saying "Sorry, but that's all that we have available for sale" I hate that a lady cried on Sat because her cake didn't have Superman on it (it wasn't on the (*&*&^ order, how could I know??) SHE CRIED!! Over a CAKE!!!

I know that I should feel blessed to have two jobs when so many have none... but I WANT TIME. I want time for me, time to figure out what I want to be "When I grow up" I want time to meet new people, to volunteer, to travel, to whatever.

Like others, I have one friend, and thankfully, she says to me "Aren't you tired of me yet?" When I feel like saying to her "Aren't you tired of ME yet?" I used to have friends, but time and distance have taken them all away. So all in all, I'm saying,

I feel your pain. Here's a Hug from me.

( " )

msladybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msladybug Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:12pm
post #28 of 56

I don't hate my life my but I am very unfullfilled. I am a stay at home mom of two beautiful girls (7 and 2). I also keep a 2 yr old and a 7 week old during the week.
I volunteer at the school a lot , I do PTO , scouts, cheerleading but it just doesn't feel like enough.
I want a career. I know it's hard being a stay at home mom. I do everything for my family and never get a break.
I have a good husband he is just clueless. He doesn't see I am getting burned out doing this and to step up and help me.

I have enrolled myself back into school, I am just waiting for the summer quarter to start. Maybe then I will start to feel more like I have a purpose.

LaSombra Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 7:04pm
post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by msladybug

I don't hate my life my but I am very unfullfilled. I am a stay at home mom of two beautiful girls (7 and 2). I also keep a 2 yr old and a 7 week old during the week.
I volunteer at the school a lot , I do PTO , scouts, cheerleading but it just doesn't feel like enough.
I want a career. I know it's hard being a stay at home mom. I do everything for my family and never get a break.
I have a good husband he is just clueless. He doesn't see I am getting burned out doing this and to step up and help me.

I have enrolled myself back into school, I am just waiting for the summer quarter to start. Maybe then I will start to feel more like I have a purpose.

msladybug: I know what you mean. My husband and I had a fight a couple months ago because he sometimes comes home to the house being a wreck. My kids can sometimes make some big messes and they're so used to me yelling at them to clean up that it goes in one ear and out the other. He works very hard and just wants to come home and relax. He wants to enjoy his days off, he says. Well, what about me? I don't get days off. He seems to think that it's easy to stay at home all day long with no time to myself even to go to the bathroom, ya know?

When I do go to work (one day a week for a couple hours), it is relief! I love my kids...but I need time off as well. Well, while we were fighting, the place I work once a week offered me a full-time job there. It would be perfect. It's only a mile up the road and I love that place. There's no gossiping going on, everyone is wonderful. The catch is that he'd have to quit his job and stay at home with the kids because there is no daycare out here. We live in a small town, population 500.

Needless to say, when it came right down to it, he prefers being the one to work. He says it's because he doesn't want to be a "kept man" but I think that's mens' excuse for really not wanting to be stuck at home all day everyday and having to lug the kids around when you do go out.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 7:51pm
post #30 of 56

Oh my. You're not alone. This sounds familiar. Part of my job is dealing with payroll and leave and I get tired of looking at numbers and doing leave audits. I'm coming up on my 20th year at the same place of employment. I would like a change but I'll never find a job making my current salary or with the benefits. The only change I could make is to stay in the same place of employment but doing something else....what I have no idea if I can even find any openings. I'd like to get a degree in pastry arts but I don't think I could make the salary I do now. Although I may try to work on getting one in hopes to work in that field in my retirement. I'd like to move to a warmer climate but I need to take some trips to check out a few places but of course, need money for that. Maybe it is a mid life crisis. I don't know. But I hope the classes you're taking are something you're interested in; if not, can you take something you like?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%