When To Start?

Decorating By dlemoine Updated 29 Mar 2007 , 9:55pm by TrinaH

dlemoine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlemoine Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 5:51am
post #1 of 6

Hi there...

I'm relatively new to cake decorating (just finished course 2!) and have so far only made practice cakes. I'm looking for some very general advice related to when you should start in order to meet a deadline when making a cake for an event.

Obviously, I know the timing all depends on the size and complexity of the cake and individual decorating speed, but I'm just looking for some tips when the cake should be baked and frosted.

Also, how do you transport your cakes to make sure they arrive at their destination still looking pretty?

Thanks!

5 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 6:06am
post #2 of 6

I'm not working right now, but live with my parents so I work my actual baking schedule around my mom's work schedule. For example, I have a baby shower cake for Saturday. The latest I like to bake cakes is on Wednesday - that why I have some rest time in between the baking and decorating.

As for decorating, I'm a night owl. So, once again, for example, Saturday's cake I'll probably start at 8pm on Friday - maybe even 9. And I'll start them late because I know I'm not doing anything afterwards because I'll be too tired.

I still haven't conquered transporting, but it's helped me to have an at least 2-inch margin between the cake and the edge of the board. This helps make sure nothing messes up the sides.

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 6:34am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

I'm not working right now, but live with my parents so I work my actual baking schedule around my mom's work schedule. For example, I have a baby shower cake for Saturday. The latest I like to bake cakes is on Wednesday - that why I have some rest time in between the baking and decorating.

As for decorating, I'm a night owl. So, once again, for example, Saturday's cake I'll probably start at 8pm on Friday - maybe even 9. And I'll start them late because I know I'm not doing anything afterwards because I'll be too tired.

I still haven't conquered transporting, but it's helped me to have an at least 2-inch margin between the cake and the edge of the board. This helps make sure nothing messes up the sides.

Put your cakes in cake boxes with "Grip" liner under them and on a flat surface (car trunk, etc.)

Take all your supplies with you, like filled decorating bags, tips, anything the will help with a quick fix, just in case. And drive really slow.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 6

Once the cake is iced, it will stay pretty fresh for quite a while. (I refirgerate every cake.) For a cake to be eaten on Saturday, I bake and ice the cake Wednesday evening. I decorate on Thursday. Pick-up could be on Friday or Saturday. I think the cake actually tastes better if allowed to "cure" for a bit. Some people think the cake is fresh only if it's baked the day before (or day of!), but I have a "real" job and can't work that into my schedule.

dlemoine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlemoine Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 6

thanks!

it's nice to see the time frame that some of you work under....I was afraid the cake might not be as fresh if I bakd it several days before the event...but it makes sense that onc it's iced it will stay fresh icon_smile.gif

TrinaH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrinaH Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 6

I have to make 16 cakes (to make 8 4 inch ones)for next Saturday (the 7th) and I plan to start baking them tomorrow night and wrapping them up tight to put into the freezer until Thursday or Friday when I start decorating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%