Do You Think It Would Work? Or Am I Crazy?

Baking By edencakes Updated 16 Mar 2006 , 4:44pm by cakefairy18

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 12

I'm thinking of trying something... different. I want to make a cookie cake that feeds more than they normally do. Obviously, I can't make one the size of a table, although that would be quite an accomplishment if I did. icon_lol.gif

Do you think they could be stacked, like layers of a cake, three or four high? I think as long as the cookies were moist enough, they could be sliced and served kind of like cake... should I give it a try, or am I just crazy? icon_confused.gif

11 replies
SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 12

I can't imagane it wouldn't work! I think it's a great idea and would love to see a completed picture - you could even put different types of icing/filling inbetween each layer of cookie. How about each layer is a different type of cookie? Choc Chip, Reverse Choc Chip, Sugar, etc... If you used a bar type receipe I think it would work fine.

cakedeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedeco Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 12

I think it would work. I saw one at Sam's Wholesale yesterday that was two high. Make sure you put your icing between each layer, but not too much or it will slide.

Good Luck

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 12

Check out Martha Steward Kids mag, Spring issue. I just got it in the mail a couple of days ago & they have a whole section about 'cookie cakes'. They show a chocolate chip one with a whipped/lightened cream cheese icing, a chocolate wafer cookie one with sweetened whipped cream, a brownie cake with chocolate frosting, and pb&j cookies with jam in the middle. They're really adorable. They showed the choc. chip one sliced just like a cookie. Here's a link to the info on the website: http://marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel3200038&catid=cat21433&navLevel=3

There's also a place - www.geoffanddrews.com - that makes only cookies and they do cookie cakes - even for weddings. They did a cake for the Today Show Weddings thing...fully decorated just like a regular cake...with orchids...never would know it's choc. chip cookies inside! Good luck!

edencakes Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks for the info! I knew someone must have at least heard of it being tried before - there's nothing new under the sun, after all icon_lol.gif

I will give it a go, especially since I'm about to meet with someone who wants a cookie cake as a groom's cake - this could be perfect!

I appreciate it!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 6:18am
post #6 of 12

You're welcome! icon_smile.gif I just got the mag the other day...and I'd been wanting to do the same thing!! lol I'm not sure what I think about a cream cheese icing with chocolate chip cookies, though...as they suggested in the magazine. icon_confused.gif And I think I might try it with chocolate chunks, rather than chips. But I bet it would be really good with sweetened whipped cream...mmmmm. My kids would devour this in no time...so I might try it this weekend and just let 'em have at it...lol.

What kind of pans are you planning on using? Pizza pans or something like that? I wonder if it would work in a cake pan?? The recipe on the MS Kids site says to trace the shape of an 8 inch cake pan onto a piece of parchment, then lay it on your cookie sheet and spread the dough to fill the traced circle....but then they say to use an offset spatula to re-shape the cookie circle after it's baked for 12 minutes, then back into the oven for another 8-10 minutes. I would think if you used a pizza pan or cake pan that you could avoid all of that.

Oh well...we'll see, huh? lol Please let us know what you do and how it turns out....post a pic!! icon_biggrin.gif

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 12:38pm
post #7 of 12

This looks like something fun to try! DD has been asking for a cookie cake for her birthday, so I just might make one of these.

To keep the cookie round, I thought about making foil collars by folding a piece of foil several times to make it thicker, then wrapping around my 8 inch cake pan. A bit of cake release or PAM on the inside would keep it from sticking, or I could just use the Reynolds Release foil. That way I could do several cookies at time, without the "reshaping".

Thanks for posting this!

Laura.

edencakes Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 12

I think I'll just try it in my 8" cake pans... since I have four! icon_redface.gif

I'll keep ya posted when I try it... and Jenn, you do the same!

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 4:15pm
post #9 of 12

Do you think they could be stacked, like layers of a cake, three or four high? I think as long as the cookies were moist enough, they could be sliced and served kind of like cake... should I give it a try, or am I just crazy? icon_confused.gif[/quote]

first things first ... are you a member of cc?? are you cake decorating obsessed?? then.... I hate to break it to you ... YES you are crazy!!! lol ... but don't worry you are in good company ...LOL

your little experiment sounds dangerously delish .. let us know how it goes icon_smile.gif

edencakes Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 4:18pm
post #10 of 12

Haha sofiasmami - so it isn't: "will it work OR am I crazy?" it's: "will it work AND am I crazy?" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 4:31pm
post #11 of 12

chocolate chunks, rather than chips. But I bet it would be really good with sweetened whipped cream...mmmmm.

how about the oreo/whipped cream filling used for cakes ??? icon_rolleyes.gif ..... I'm getting sooooo hungry it's not even funny! icon_cry.gif

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 12

OHHH YAAA...my grandmother makes this all the time!!! she dips arrowroot cookies in coffee and then makes a ricotta filling...she just dips and stacks and it's DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%