What I Learned Tonight, Working W/luster Dust

Baking By SweetieShell Updated 23 Apr 2005 , 4:49pm by veejaytx

SweetieShell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetieShell Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 2:50am
post #1 of 7

I just got back from my rolled fondant class. The class was fun but the instrutor was crappy. I felt too rushed. I've posted the pics of my cake. Granted this is my second cake ever, first attempt at fondant.

Ok, getting to my tip... incase you didn't know, shield the sides of your cake with wax paper, so that the luster dust doesn't drop down along the sides. Really, you don't say....??? Well thanks for telling me this AFTER I've already dusted the cake and gotten it all over the sides. icon_mad.gif

Silly instructor. Anyway, feel free to critique my cake. As I said, I felt really rushed. I need to practice my shells and stars, for sure.

6 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 3:08am
post #2 of 7

I thought the patterning was very pretty and the decorations on the sides too. Why did the instructor have you dusting the tablecloth after it was placed on the cake? It seems like it would have been easier to dust it first and then place it on top of the cake.

SweetieShell Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 3:11am
post #3 of 7

We asked her that. She just wasn't too bright. She's very experienced and well traveled... at least that's all she kept talking about... how many ICES conventions she's attended... but she just wasn't very good at TEACHING how to do things and how to do them right... without making mistakes.

I'm just glad it was only one class of fondant with her. She was scary.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 19 Apr 2005 , 3:20am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetieShell

We asked her that. She just wasn't too bright. She's very experienced and well traveled... at least that's all she kept talking about... how many ICES conventions she's attended... but she just wasn't very good at TEACHING how to do things and how to do them right... without making mistakes.

I'm just glad it was only one class of fondant with her. She was scary.

Some people just aren't made to be teachers. You can know everything there is to know about something but to teach it to someone else, you have to be able to put yourself in their shoes. She sounded like she was too busy trying to put all of you into her well-traveled shoes--LOL

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 7

I have a question about the lustre dust. I'm making those sequins I mentioned before, and am not sure whether to put the lustre dust on dry, or wet with alcohol and painted on. Somebody (don't remember who at this point) suggested just putting the fondant pieces in a bag with the ld, shaking it up and then applying them to my cake, but since I've never used it I'm not sure that would give me the sparkly look I'd like. On the other hand, going over all those little sequins individually sounds a little daunting! Suggestions or alternatives will be appreciated. Janice

SweetieShell Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 7

Since I've only had one experience with LD, I'm not sure I can fully answer your question... BUT, our teacher did mention shaking those little balls (the ones you're not supposed to eat anymore) in a baggie with the LD, to get them coated. I would think that if you've got little sequins, that this might be the easiest to do.

As for applying on wet or dry... we used dry brushes. She never mentioned any tips for a wet application... but then again... she didn't mention applying the LD to the tablecloth BEFORE putting it on, either. icon_cry.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 23 Apr 2005 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for your input! I've been looking at ordering the LD online, and they talk about mixing alcohol base liquid (water, etc. won't work) and you can apply it with a brush, this seems to give you a bright gold for instance, instead of the pearly look. Wonder if it would work to apply the wet LD at the same time I stick the sequins to the cake, that way I'd only have to handle each little piece once. LOL

Sorry your teacher didn't have more to share with you in your class, other than her travels... that has to be a disappointment! Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%