Piping Gel..........

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 16 Mar 2006 , 1:31am by Crimsicle

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 6

does this harden or set when exposed to air? I was thinking of using disco glitter in it and painting it onto surfaces, but I don't really want it to stay 'wet'. Any ideas?

5 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 6

Does no-one know the answer to this icon_cry.gif ???!!!

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 6

Nope sorry icon_sad.gif

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 6

Piping gel does set and is sticky. i have never had it harden. It works great for transferring pictures onto your cake, writing, adding to icing for stringwork, water on your cakes, fill in when you want a shiny transparent look like stained glass. That is mainly what I use it for! Fun stuff but it has a funny taste! Hope this helps!

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 6

It does harden when exposed to air. BUT I don't know how long it takes. When I have used my Wilton brand, taking the lid off, there is some "crust" around the lid. I work PT at a DQ where we make "chillabration" cakes and we use it for the designs, etc. and the bags we put the gel in with different colors gets dried up where we twist and tie with a rubber band. Also, before we color a cake or write a name, etc, I run the tip under hot water and squeeze out so it will work. If it gets too hard, I unscrew the coupler and clean the tip.

I would imagine if you did some testing with it, you could get your own results. icon_confused.gif Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 1:31am
post #6 of 6

I put quite a bit of it on a cake last week. It stayed around for several days. The piping gel got like gummy worms or something similar. When you cut into it, it dragged on the knife and pulled along rather than actually cutting. It wasn't what you'd call hard...kinda rubbery. But, it still retained its wet look. Mine was put on pretty thick, if that makes any difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%