Cake Decorating Stores, Houston, Texas

Decorating By gilson6 Updated 31 May 2008 , 12:48am by Cakepro

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 11:52am
post #1 of 32

I'm planning on doing a little shopping on Saturday and wanted to know if anyone knew of some good cake decorating supplies stores in Houston. I have found 3 through Google but they are a good distance from my home. There is "Make a Cake", "Amazin Cake Supplies, Inc." and "Cake Craft Shoppe". I have ordered online from the last one and the service was great. Anyone ever been to any of these?

31 replies
daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 32

I have been to Make a Cake and Amazin' Cake supplies. I prefer Make-a-Cake. They're practically across the street from each other so you can visit both!

You can check out Make a Cake online. They even have some classes coming up

http://makeacakehouston.com/

gilson6 Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 32

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and hit both of them.

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 32

I have been to the cake craft shoppe. it was great the people were helpful and nice. i would definately make the 2 hour drive from my house just to go back there.

gilson6 Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 32

I'm going to go to the Cake Craft Shoppe this Saturday and hopefully hit the other ones when I'm closer to downtown Houston. Thanks for the help everyone!

gilson6 Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 32

BTW, alracntna, any news/plans on the DOS for Bryan? I know you had problems with the hall rental. Anything I can do to help? I'm through with the event at the high school and am kind of at loose ends with nothing going on. Of course, my husband kind of likes it this way but I like to stay busy.

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 32

It really kind of depends on what type of supplies you are looking for. Cake Craft has a very extensive supply of fondant materials and Make A Cake has an awesome section of cake toppers. Both places are really nice, but I do prefer the customer service at Cake Craft more.....plus it's in Sugarland in an area I'm not afraid to drive to by myself with my 3 little ones. I have never been to Make A Cake alone....it's kind of off the beaten path in a not very nice area.

Enjoy your shopping trip! If you go to Cake Craft and see Sheila...tell her April says "Hi!".

ape Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 8:17pm
post #8 of 32

Oops....also wanted to tell you about Arne's if you're not familiar with it. It is a party supply store off I-10 and Studemont....they have an aisle for Wilton stuff. A great place to get pans and stuff. Their prices are generally about 1/3 off the normal price for Wilton stuff. Of course make sure you are signed up for the Hobby Lobby email so you can get the coupons when they come out and make sure you know that Michael's will accept Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's coupons!

A lot of random info, but I hope it helps!

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilson6

I'm planning on doing a little shopping on Saturday and wanted to know if anyone knew of some good cake decorating supplies stores in Houston. I have found 3 through Google but they are a good distance from my home. There is "Make a Cake", "Amazin Cake Supplies, Inc." and "Cake Craft Shoppe". I have ordered online from the last one and the service was great. Anyone ever been to any of these?

If i don't have time to go that far i go to s&j cake and candy on 1960 .
Their selection is not that big but they do have the basics.
They used to be close to 1-45 but they have since moved.
Back in september the owner was telling me she didn't get much bussiness.I told her i am gonna let people know about the palce. So I told my wilton instructor about this place and she told all her students about it .I think we needed a cake supply place on the nw area.

Edit to correct spelling because i can't spell today

ape Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 10:27pm
post #10 of 32

I visited S&J a few months ago....but I found their prices to be a little high. Definitely good when you need something fast, but I usually just make a list and visit one of the other stores every month or so.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 11:46pm
post #11 of 32

I usually go to Make-A-Cake and Amazin' Cake Supply since they're practically next door to each other. I started to place an order at the Cake Craft Shoppe website last night when I realized it's about 45 minutes from my house! w00t!!

Larry's Arts and Crafts has an extensive supply of cake & confectionary supplies. There is supposed to be a new cake supply store in Pasadena, and I think I drove by it the other day, but I haven't been there yet.

Arne's is great for pans when they have anything in stock!

I buy Satin Ice fondant from Swiss Chalet Fine Foods in northwest Houston (40 pounds is ~ $95). They carry all kinds of pastry and confectionary supplies. www.scff.com

~ Sherri

gilson6 Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 3:00am
post #12 of 32

Thanks everyone! I knew about Arne's - in fact, I've been going to them since before my son was born (he's graduating in a couple of months). I'm going to hit the store in Sugarland this weekend and try the other ones in a couple of weeks.

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 3:46am
post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I buy Satin Ice fondant from Swiss Chalet Fine Foods in northwest Houston (40 pounds is ~ $95). They carry all kinds of pastry and confectionary supplies. www.scff.com

~ Sherri

Sherri do you know if they sell cake flour ...and do they sell to the public?

TIA

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 4:44am
post #14 of 32

Hey, neighbors! I've been to Make-a-Cake and have plans to go again next week after Spring Break is over for my daughter. No way would I take her there b/c she'd want everything! icon_wink.gif Will have to check out the shop nearby, as well. I had no idea it was even there till recently. I still can't believe in a city so big that there aren't more shops around. I dread making the trip from Katy but there's nowhere else to go. Btw, does anyone know of a candy supply shop? I've looked and looked but I can't find one. I need to get some large quantities of chocolate but don't want to order off the internet unless I absolutely have to.

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 5:45am
post #15 of 32

I've been to Make-A-Cake and they have a large selection of stuff. But they are a little hard to find because it doesn't quite look like what I would think a cake store would look like. But then its the only cake store I've been to icon_lol.gif

gilson6 Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 11:45am
post #16 of 32

Hey, chocomama, wouldn't the Cake Craft Shoppe in Sugarland be closer to you? Seems like it would just take getting on the Beltway to get there from Katy. Or even going right up Highway 6.

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 2:54pm
post #17 of 32

I think you're right, Gilson. I never go to Sugarland for anything so it didn't even occur to me. I'll check it out. Thank you!

And, you're right, AuntEm, about Make-A-Cake. The first time I went there I thought twice about going in b/c the area is just not what I expected. The shop I'm used to back home looks like a cute little cottage and that's what I expected to find here, too. Not the case!

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 4:03pm
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilson6

BTW, alracntna, any news/plans on the DOS for Bryan? I know you had problems with the hall rental. Anything I can do to help? I'm through with the event at the high school and am kind of at loose ends with nothing going on. Of course, my husband kind of likes it this way but I like to stay busy.

I am so surprised anyone even remembered. I was having some hall problems but in the end I just gave up cause i had maybe two people interested in coming. noone ever said anything to me so i just figured noone wanted to come. If i had a lot of people interested i would do it. i only say this because i would HAVE to rent a hall cause i have a very small house and the cheapest hall here is $150 i dont want to waste my money on this hall and only two people come cause in that case i can have it at home for free. icon_wink.gif anyway if a handful of people tell me they want to i will have one.

AuntEm Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 6:46pm
post #19 of 32

Since this is about cake stores in the houston area. I has wondering if there are any cake clubs in the NW side of houston? Like tomball, magnolia, conroe, or some where around there.
Thanks,

gilson6 Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 7:42pm
post #20 of 32

AuntEm:

I live in Magnolia. The closest one that I can locate is the one in Sugarland. Someone mentioned one on 1960 but also mentioned that they were kind of pricey compared to the other ones.

Cakepro Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 7:44pm
post #21 of 32

There are two cake clubs in Houston: The Houston Cake Club www.thehoustoncakeclub.com and Frost-A-Tiers www.frostatiers.com.

gilson6 Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 7:48pm
post #22 of 32

The Houston Cake Club meets in Pasadena and the Frost A Tiers club meets at Cake Craft Shoppe in Sugarland. Both are a good distance from Magnolia. Might not be a bad idea to see who would be interested in this area, in starting a cake club for all of us Northwesterners!!!

AuntEm Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 8:31pm
post #23 of 32

I would be interested! the only problem is I can't drive but I think I could work something out if it was fairly close.

ape Posted 16 Mar 2006 , 9:56pm
post #24 of 32

There is one that meets on the second Thursday of the month at the Michael's at 45 and 1960 in the evening. I saw an advertisement for it at the Michael's at 249 and 1960. I have not been (I go to Frost-A-Tiers).

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 17 Mar 2006 , 2:11pm
post #25 of 32

Like ape mentioned, there is a new cake club forming in NW Houston. The name is Flour Power Cake Club. I went to my first meeting earlier this month. It's a nice group of men and ladies! As ape said, they meet at Michaels at Louetta and I-45 pm on the second Thursday of the month from 7-9 pm.

If anyone wants more information PM me and I'll give you the email address of the club's President.

KelCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KelCake Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 4:43am
post #26 of 32

Pearland Cake Society is another club in the Houston area. It meets the third Thursday of the month in the evenings. You can go to www.Pearlandcakesociety.com for more info.

mvdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvdd Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:51pm
post #27 of 32

Do you know if they sell wedding bouquet in any of the Houston stores? Also, where is a good place to get hi-ratio shortening?

Thanks!
Migvia

sisspence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisspence Posted 30 May 2008 , 12:09am
post #28 of 32

Larrys arts and crafts in Pasadena has the wedding bouquet
Lyons Distr. in Baytown has the Sweetex 281-422-2665

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:53am
post #29 of 32

Ive been to Cake Craft Shoppe in Sugarland and I love it. They have an awsome supply of boxes and cupcake trays. The prices are resonable too!

I did not see wedding bouqet there but they did have creme bouqet.

Cakepro Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:47am
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisspence

Larrys arts and crafts in Pasadena has the wedding bouquet

Are you sure? I go to Larry's about once a week and have never seen Wedding Bouquet. Creme Bouquet, yes, but not THE Wedding Bouquet made famous by SugarShack.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%