How Do You Stake A Large Cake?

Decorating By mom2seven Updated 28 Mar 2007 , 6:46pm by mom2seven

mom2seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2seven Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 8

I have only done a few 1/2 sheet cakes and putting one on top of one hasn't gone well. icon_cry.gif Is there a good trick to doing this? I don't have any problems getting them out of the pan and I know how to flip a cake by using 2 cooling racks, it's just when you have to put one cake on top of the 1st cake that it doesn't go well.

TIA,
Julie

7 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 8

Do you have one of those cookie sheets that only had one side? They are the air-baked ones, I believe that is what it is called. I have read that a lot of members use that cause they can slide it right off of the pan only the cake. I am sure other CC members have some great ideas if you don't=) Jen

mom2seven Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbeeBaker

Do you have one of those cookie sheets that only had one side? They are the air-baked ones, I believe that is what it is called. I have read that a lot of members use that cause they can slide it right off of the pan only the cake. I am sure other CC members have some great ideas if you don't=) Jen

Thank you! thumbs_up.gif

SweetieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetieD Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 8

I always put parchment on my cake and flip it onto a cakeboard (with one underneath while I flip) and make sure the cut side is on the parchment. Then, I slide the cake to the very edge of the parchment and board and start at the edge of the bottom cake and slowly slide the top cake onto it. I just make sure to sort of push the cake and pull the board if that makes sense. I used to flip one cake onto the other with too many tears and rips. My husband thought of this idea and I have never had any problems with it since it slides right off of the parchment. HTH

mlparker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlparker Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 8

I use one the Wilton one sided aluminum rectangle shaped cookie sheets to do mine. I have found that it works very easily with this. It has only one lip on one long side for you to hold onto. After your cake is cooled you can flip it onto the cookie sheet. I leave just a little bit of the long edge of the top cake hanging over the edge of the cookie sheet. This helps me line it up with the bottom layer easier. Then just gently push the cake off of the cookie sheet and onto the bottom. You can still adjust the cake slightly to get all of the sides to match up evenly but I usually don't have to if I can use my big cookie sheet. I have seen them at Michael's craft store but you should be able to get them in any cake supply shop.
HTH.
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
Michele

mom2seven Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you ladies! I'm sure I can do this now. thumbs_up.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 8

It also helps if you freeze your cake layers. Just bake, cool a little, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze until you need them. They are so easy to stack and fill when they are frozen! I just defrost before I decorate.

mom2seven Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolf24

It also helps if you freeze your cake layers. Just bake, cool a little, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze until you need them. They are so easy to stack and fill when they are frozen! I just defrost before I decorate.

Thank you, I don't have the freezer space right now, We have a large deep freeze and 2 side-by-sides fridge but there's 9 of us and I only shop once a week. But this is great to know so if I even get another freezer (or if I ever have a little room to spear one day, LOL, like that will even happen icon_lol.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%