Please Clarify- Hi Ratio?

Decorating By AmberCakes Updated 10 Apr 2006 , 6:57pm by kisha311

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 10

Hello to all and thanks for viewing this post!

I see alot of bakers say Hi ratio alot and I don't understand it so much. Can someone please clarify Hi Ratio for me? Please. I get mixed up with reading different posts about it and get confused. I know, I'm a newbie to cake decorating and am learning alot here. Geesh, I even have a binder just for cake stuff. I love this site!
TIA! thumbs_up.gif

9 replies
Divi-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Divi-Cakes Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 10

Hi icon_smile.gif

Hi-ratio is shortening, which contains emulsifiers,
is more temperature stable and will hold air better
upon whipping, improving volume and stability
of icing thumbs_up.gif

Have a nice day! icon_smile.gif

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 10

this is from the baking911 website.

EMULSIFIED SHORTENING: also known as cake, icing or high ratio shortening, can absorb more sugar and liquid than regular shortening. It gives a finer and smoother texture to cakes and help keep them moist, as well as keeps icings more stable. However, it should be used in icings and cakes where the recipe contains a large percentage of sugar.

I buy the 50lbs from SYSCO for $29 (CALIF), their are lots of brands

Here is some other names hi ratio goes by plus two websites, you can see if they have a cash and carry store.

http://www.sysco.com/aboutus/contactus.asp
item number 4003869 shortening cake cube all vegetable
(50lbs for $29, local store in Hayward (510) 481-1515, called cake shortening)

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/13/CLID/146/N/4471/Hunt_Wesson_-_Wesson_Shortening.ht (50lbs super quick blend 50lbs $56.45)

Other brands: Alpine, Biscot 140, Blendex, COVO S.M., Cremelite,CRISCO HI-RATIO, Golden Glow, XXX crème, Monarch Covo Sm (Icings & Cakes), Monarch Covo Sm - Non Hydro
Monarch XXX Cream (for Icings), Monarch Artisan Cremin (for buttercream icing - just whip & use)
Monarch M300 (Icing Base), Canbra Hi Ratio (Cakes) AND SweeteX Hi Ratio Shortening

http://www.bakemark.com/index.html

rabiah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rabiah Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 10

All I can say is THANK YOU for clarifying this!!!

AmberCakes Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 10

Wow, alot of information. I think i'm confused again. icon_surprised.gif LOL. Okay, I use Crisco shortening-the regular kind-I get from Wal-Mart. Is this a Hi ratio one? Is there a hi-ratio shortening at Wal-Mart or Giant or Food Lion or a store like that?
Thank you!

AmberCakes Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 10

Bumping myself up. I have another ? please. Thanks in advance!

AmberCakes Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 10

NEVERMIND the last question. I found a piece of information on the internet that really clarifies it for me the best. Thank you Divi-cakes & Leana for your posts. That information will also be printed out for me to use. Another print out to put in my cake binder. LOL. icon_smile.gif

Oh, here is the piece of information:

One thing the site doesn't tell you about cake mixes, is the reason that they seem to be more moist than the cake you mix from scratch. The
secret ingredient that cake mixes (and bakeries) use is something called "hi-ratio" shortening....also known as "cake shortening". This is a special emulsified shortening that allows the cake formula to have more sugar in it than if you used a regular shortening. The more sugar in a cake formula, the more moist the cake will be. Sugar is "hygroscopic", meaning it attracts and holds moisture. If you use hi-ratio shortening, you have to use a recipe that calls for hi-ratio shortening. You can't just take any old cake recipe and substitute hi-ratio for regular shortening or butter. You have to make other adjustments as well (like adding more sugar) and the way you mix the cake is different too.
You can't buy hi-ratio shortening at the grocery store....it's only available from bakery supply houses (at least in my area, anyway). One of the most common brand names is "Sweetex'.

There's lots of good scratch cake recipes out there, but you should never expect them to be like a cake mix, because without that special shortening you can't achieve the same result. It doesn't mean a cake mix is any better......it's just different.

cakegirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirlcakes Posted 23 Mar 2006 , 3:28am
post #8 of 10

what if you made the scratch mix WITH the hi-ratio shortening? then would it be ok, just like the cake mix? just trying to figure this all out icon_razz.gif thanks-
-chisl

mamas510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamas510 Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 10

Is High ratio shortening used only with cake mixes?? Does anyone use this with their icings as well?? hope this is not a silly question! icon_redface.gif

kisha311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisha311 Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 10

Where can you get recipes for cake mixes using the hi-ratio shortening? I have seen the ones for the BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%