Kansas City/independence Mo Cake Deco Stores?

Decorating By Melvira Updated 3 Apr 2007 , 3:32am by mkerton

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 38

I am going to visit my sister this weekend in Independence Missouri, right next to Kansas City, and was wondering if anyone could tell me about any really good cake decorating supply stores in that area!! I am dying to find someplace to go while there. TIA fellow cakers!!

37 replies
luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 38

I am south of Kc on the Kansas side, in a "burb" called Olathe, but I know of no cake stores that way.... I hope you get someone from there to answer you.....
Have a fun visit!!

Melvira Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 38

Thanks anyway, I appreciate it! I will keep watching and hoping that someone from that area will see this by Thursday evening. (Leaving early Friday morning)

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 12:40am
post #4 of 38

Hey Melvira, I live about 2 hours south of KC and was there about a month ago, I googled and put out a request to CCers and didnt find any cake deco stores, there are a couple of wholesale places, google cake supplies for the KC area and then give them a call, they typically sell to stores but if I had been there on a weekday or saturday they would have let me come. Here it is I think

United Bakers & Deli Supply
4600 Blue Pkwy
Kansas City, MO 64130

(816) 921-7300

Good Luck!

Melvira Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:09am
post #5 of 38

Thanks Heather! I will try calling them and see what they can do! I appreciate it! Hopefully I will be able to find some other places too... HINT HINT peeps!! icon_lol.gif

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:21am
post #6 of 38

United Bakers has a LOT of Wilton stuff- especially "old school" Wilton (think fountains, stairways, plastic people, etc). The do carry Americolor and pans, bags, etc.

I really like Baker's Rack. It's in Lenexa, KS so it would be a bit of a drive for you- but totally worth it. They have everything! If you decided to go- take I-435 South, then I-435 West to I-35 South. Take the 95th Streeth exit and go west to Pflumm. Take Pflumm north and once you cross the railroad tracks and Santa Fe Trail Drive, there will be a row of shops on your right. Turn in there and drive toward the end, it will be on your left. The lady that owns it is Georgia- and she's super nice!

ETA: I think she's only open until 4 on Saturdays though, but I think you'll really like her store!

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:21am
post #7 of 38

I don't think there are any on the Missouri side, but I go to a little place called the Bakers Rack in Lenexa, KS. There are about 3 or 4 shops in the phone book, but this is the only one I've tried. I think the others may be fairly close enough that you might be able to make a round trip out of it.

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:21am
post #8 of 38

I love United Bakers and I believe they will sell to anyone but if you have a business license then you can get items at a reduced price. They have the best prices on boxes & boards if you but them a case at a time.

There is a place in Blue Springs called The Cake Pan and they have a ton of stuff.l If I need something small then I will go there instead of
United Bakers - it closer for small orders under $10.00.

There is a place in Overland Park - I can't remember the name - they seem to be a little pricer than the other two.

If you are into cookies check out Off the Beaten path - I believe they are in Liberty. Welcome to KC!

Oh United Bakers is only open during the week - they close at 4:45 Friday night. The Cake Pan is open on sat.!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:23am
post #9 of 38

Welcome to Independence, Melvira!!

United Bakers is a great resource. They have a small showroom - but tons of stuff in stock. If you need something specific just ask for it or look in one of the catalogs and they are sure to have it.

Another good cake store is in Overland Park, Kan. (about 30-40 minutes from Independence - at least the way I drive icon_wink.gif ). Here all the info:

The Sweet Supply Shoppe, Inc.
8467 W. 95th St.
Overland Park, KS 66212
913-385-2253
www.sweetsupplyshoppe.com

lisascakes Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:25am
post #10 of 38

I love United Bakers and I believe they will sell to anyone but if you have a business license then you can get items at a reduced price. They have the best prices on boxes & boards if you but them a case at a time.

There is a place in Blue Springs called The Cake Pan and they have a ton of stuff.l If I need something small then I will go there instead of
United Bakers - it closer for small orders under $10.00.

There is a place in Overland Park - I can't remember the name - they seem to be a little pricer than the other two.

If you are into cookies check out Off the Beaten path - I believe they are in Liberty. Welcome to KC!

Oh United Bakers is only open during the week - they close at 4:45 Friday night. The Cake Pan is open on sat.!

lisascakes Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:27am
post #11 of 38

Sorry about the double post. The Bakers Rack is the one I couldn't remember. They are great too!

Melvira Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:31am
post #12 of 38

Wow!! I knew you guys would come through for me!! Awesome! Keep it coming guys... all info is appreciated!

I've been visiting my sister down there since I was 12 (she's older than me and moved away when I was a kid) but have never looked around there for cake shops. (Before CC I didn't really realize there was more than just Wilton out there! A common misconception!) With help from you guys maybe I'll find some awesome new sources... and MORE reasons to visit my sissy!! Yay! icon_wink.gif

ccr03 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 3:35am
post #13 of 38

I'll double that Melvira!

I always want to know about more stores in the area.

The Cake Pan...thanks for reminding me of their name. A friend's mom is actually the owner.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 4:14am
post #14 of 38

Thanks Melvira. I've been trying to find cake places in this same general area for a while. I'm about 60 miles S of KC. I set out one day to find United Bakers but got lost then called to find out they aren't open on Saturdays. Were it not for the Eddie Bauer store (with great sales going on) I happened upon, the day would have been a total flop. LOL I'll have to drive up and find some these places.

Thanks ladies!

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 11:01pm
post #15 of 38

If you do go to United Baker's, just a warning- the owner is a JERK! He hates kids and has yelled at my kids both times I was there with them (once for turning the racks around looking at the "toys" and the other time for going between the racks to pick up stuff on the floor.) I've heard similar horror stories about how rude he is. There is a sign on the front door to turn off your cell phone. "They aren't responsible for damages done to cell phones left on!" Ugh.

A lady I know was yelled at because she came in too close to closing time! She runs a business and was there 30-45 minutes before they closed, but they were so slow getting her stuff that she decided to wander around the store. When she went up to pay she had added some stuff to it and he threw a fit because they closed in 15 minutes. So she put it back and just got what they were getting out of the warehouse and hasn't been back. She's trying to convince me to open up a bakery supply store up north here icon_smile.gif When my kids are grown up, if there's nothing better!

Kelly

Melvira Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 12:05am
post #16 of 38

Oh Kelly, that is HORRIBLE!! I refuse to shop in places that are rude... one time I went into a store and after a few minutes one of the cashiers walked up to me and in this absolutely disgusted and angry tone of voice said, "I GUESS I'll throw your garbage away, but that's why we don't allow food in the store, so don't do it again!!" She was holding an empty pop can. I went ballistic on her. I don't even drink sugared pop, and I told her if she'd like to confirm that with my doctor that would be just fine, or perhaps I could whip out my diabetes test kit and test my blood sugar for her. Needless to say, she wanted to crawl under the cash register and die when I was done. If she had come up to me and politely said something like, "I think you set this down and forgot it" it would have been fine. Either I would have been able to politely tell her it wasn't my can, or if it had been mine, I would be embarassed and her point would have been made. There was no excuse for her attitude. I am SO OVERLY polite to the people in stores, restaurants, etc. that serve me, but I will not take ANY abuse from them. The minute they get like that I turn into a different person. I let them know it's not acceptable in the least. Sorry about the tangent... I didn't realize the anger over that was still so close to the surface!! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

vivedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vivedcreations Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 12:25am
post #17 of 38

I too have been to both The Cake Pan and The Sweet Supply Shoppe. I like both, however I prefer The Sweet Supply Shoppe. The Cake Pan is VERY small and hard to walk around in. I am clostrophobic (sp?) so I like to have space when doing anything. The Sweet Supply Shoppe is set up very well with lots of room! icon_smile.gif

I have also been to United Bakers. I have only gone twice and just for boxes. It's not my favorite place either. They do tend to be on the rude side. And when they say they close at 4:45 they close at 4:45. I get off work at 4:00 and it takes about 20 minutes to get there so I too have run into the trying to check out right before they leave. I asked them if I could call ahead and place my order so it would be ready when I came to pick it up and they said well you can try but we won't promise anything, shipping orders come first. So, I just go when I need boxes and that's it. Anyone who has a business card can get the discount though. You just have to show them your card and they give you a customer number...but it takes several days to get it.

Hope this helps in some way. Enjoy your visit!

Melvira Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 1:29am
post #18 of 38

Thanks for that insight! If I have to choose between them, I will proably choose the sweet supply shoppe then because it sounds like it's bigger and might have more stuff. Awesome! I can't wait.

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 1:36am
post #19 of 38

I was visiting my daughter and family a few weeks ago and stayed over so I could check out the Sweet Supply Shoppe. I was excited thinking that I'd found a supply store where I could get things I needed without the shipping cost. I was disappointed--I walked out with a bag of raspberry filling. They are located on about 84th and Metcalf in a little strip mall.

Melvira Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:14am
post #20 of 38

Oh MAN!! Denied!! That is a total bummer! You know... I see posts where people talk about these wicked cool cake supply stores that are like blocks from their house... where ARE these places? Do they exist or am I in some crazy alternate universe? icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:31am
post #21 of 38

Yes, Sweet supply sells alot of Wilton stuff.. more then you can find at like Walmart, but still it sells things along those lines. The Bakers Rack is where I go. I love it there. It's a smaller store but with alot crammed inside. (I hate to take my kids in there though)
If you were going to come all this way (Baker's isn't that must farther then Sweet Shopp) I would choose Bakers!

ccr03 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 5:09am
post #22 of 38

luvscakes,
where exactly is the Bakers Rack? I've heard of it before, but no one was able to give me directions.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 5:32am
post #23 of 38

I posted directions to Baker's Rack on page one, only I realized today while I was away from the computer (interesting how I remember things and the most random times!!) that I said to go SOUTH on I-35, and you would actually need to go NORTH on I-35 off of I-435.

That being said, I went by there today and she's changed her hours, you might want to give her a call and see what they are. It was closed when I got there, and I forgot to see what the new hours were. I went to the Sweet Supply Shop instead (for the first time) and I really prefer Baker's Rack.

ccr03 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 5:41am
post #24 of 38

cool, thanks!

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:00pm
post #25 of 38

My parents live in Lee's Summit..so we are in that area often! I will be checking these places out!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:48pm
post #26 of 38

I live in Kansas city and didn't know about the bakers rack...maybe I've heard of them, but I forgot. anyway the sweet supply shop is okay. a lot of wilton stuff, but other things too. you ought to go on a cake road trip and try them both out....that would be kinda fun. then you can report back of your findings. kinda like "Rocker on the Road" haha

oohhhohhhhohhhh, while your in town taking a road trip you ought to stop by all your cc friends houses and shops to say "hey" I'll be expecting you around 11:00 a.m. bring donuts.
haha

have fun

melody

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 3:00pm
post #27 of 38

Yeah no kidding Melvira...wanna come visit come CC friends.....haha I too was very interested in this thread...I live in kansas city (the north side) and I have never been to any of these shops!!!

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 3:32pm
post #28 of 38

Tell you what Melvira, you are my hero since introducing me to the Melvira Method, what do you say one of our CC buddies in the KC area has a little "Mini CC Convention" at their place, I'll get a babysitter and make the road trip 2 hours north just to meet you!!!

I'LL BRING DONUTS icon_biggrin.gif

Heather

Melvira Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 10:37pm
post #29 of 38

That would be SO AWESOME!!!! But it can't be on Sunday... having a (surprise) baby shower for my sis! I can't wait... I swear I have spent like $300 on baby stuff. It's her fourth, but she has them waaaay far apart so she needs new stuff every time. When new baby comes, (Sorry if I have already said this fact... I forget if I did!) the kids will be 25, 17, 7 and newborn!! Can you imagine? She's been having babies for a quarter of a century!!! WHEW!!! icon_eek.gif

But seriously, I would be SO into meeting some folks!! That would be THE COOLEST!! thumbs_up.gif

jemme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemme Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 11:35pm
post #30 of 38

i am anxiously awaiting the store "reviews" as we are moving to KC area in June and i was in a fret about cake decorating stores!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%