My Filling Is Spreading!

Decorating By cakesonoccasion Updated 27 Mar 2007 , 7:51pm by mlparker

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 8

Help- I baked a lemon cake and filled it with black raspberry preserves. Delish! BUT...the filling is seeping down and up into the above and below layers of cake and it is ugly! Is there any way to keep that from happening? Should I put a super thin layer of buttercream on each side as a buffer before spreding the filling? It's just a practice cake- and my DH, the taste tester, doesn't care either way- but I don't want that effect on the real thing!
Thanks!

7 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 8

I always use a BC 'dam' around the inside to trap the filling. And then fridge it a bit before crumb coating to let it set up.......hth

cakesonoccasion Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I always use a BC 'dam' around the inside to trap the filling. And then fridge it a bit before crumb coating to let it set up.......hth

Yes- I do that too- but it's not seeping out the sides- it's going up and down!!

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 8

I also use a BC "dam". I make it by filling a bag and using a coupler without a tip in it and pipe a line around the outside edge of the cake to keep the filling from spilling out. Then make sure you don't use too much filling - just enough for some flavor. With practice you'll get a feel for how much is "too much" or "too little". Works great!

cakesonoccasion Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by awolf24

I also use a BC "dam". I make it by filling a bag and using a coupler without a tip in it and pipe a line around the outside edge of the cake to keep the filling from spilling out. Then make sure you don't use too much filling - just enough for some flavor. With practice you'll get a feel for how much is "too much" or "too little". Works great!

I guess I could more accurately say it's soaking in to the layes above and below- so now the cake is turning from yellow to purple.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 8

holy cow....ok, I misunderstood. How thin are these layers? I think your idea of a thin BC barrier is a good one. I have never heard of this happening....or maybe use a touch less filling? icon_redface.gif Sorry I am not of more help to you.....it's sounds really yummy though!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 8

I have put a thin layer of buttercream to at least stop the filling from seeping into the bottom layer.

mlparker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlparker Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 8

I have "crumb coated" the layer that the filling goes against before (top and bottom) and it seems to work pretty well for keeping the cake from absorbing the filling. I would also agree that perhaps refrigerating the icing crumb coated layers before filling might help the buttercream crust a little to further keep the filling from seeping into your cake layers. Plus, it adds a nice extra little colorful ribbon around your filling.

Hope it works to help keep it from soaking through.
thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%