Can I Use Plain Old Food Coloring To Color Bc?

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 27 Mar 2007 , 1:38pm by Beckalita

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 12

It there a reason why I need to keep buying gel colors?

11 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 12

The liquid colors will make your buttercream runny since they aren't as thick or as concentrated as the gel colors.

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 12

If you use "regular" food coloring you will ruin the consistency of the buttercream/ fondant/ etc. You need to use gel or paste colorings for this reason.

Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 12

Yes, you can use the regular store colors. The only difference is that the colors won't be as bright, that's all. icon_smile.gif

divaofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaofcakes Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 12

I have found that gels give a more vibrant color. And they don't water down your BC. You can use either one but just be aware that the BC will be a bit more watery than usual.

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 12

What is the best way to get this color of pink?
LL

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 12

You can use regular food coloring.......my mom does it all the time since she doesn't like the others......

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:19pm
post #8 of 12

I find that I have to practice mixing colors to get what I want. I usually try a small amnt of icing and prcatice with that. Usually by mixing a little red with my pink, even yellow sometimes. HTH

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:21pm
post #9 of 12

I would mix pink with red. I always do a practice first to get the cor right. I practices turn into cupcakes for my family. They never care what color it is as long as it is yummy.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:25pm
post #10 of 12

I use plain old food coloring and have never had a problem with it making the BC runny. Should be just fine.

On my computer that color also looks like it has a purple tint to it. I was thinking of mixing pink and purple? Not really sure...

Jodie

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:28pm
post #11 of 12

I say try mixing pink with purple just do little mixes first then when you are happy you will know what to use!!!!

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:38pm
post #12 of 12

I use supermarket red food color or red airbrush color in place of the water or milk when making red buttercream. Works like a charm and there's no bitter aftertaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%