Wilton 3 D Teddy Bear Cake!! Advice!!

Decorating By ecoleman Updated 30 Mar 2007 , 2:00pm by TaraRowan

ecoleman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ecoleman Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 3:35am
post #1 of 18

icon_smile.gif Does anyone have any advice about making the 3 D wilton teddy bear cake? i am making it for a baby shower and i haven't made one before. what kind of cake mix and icing should i use? Thanks! icon_smile.gif [/i][/b]

17 replies
JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 3:44am
post #2 of 18

I've used the Winnie the Pooh 3d cake pan and have always used DH with BC icing. I recommend using a stiff BC. HTH

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 3:46am
post #3 of 18

I heard a firmer cake is needed for the 3-d bear cake like a pound cake. I'm making the three tier cake with the bear on top for my daughters shower in a couple of months also. I'm anxious to see what answers you get to your question too.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 3:49am
post #4 of 18

I also made the winnie the pooh 3-d pan and used a dh mix. It stood up just fine. As for the frosting I had to make the buttercream stiffer. I think a regular cake mix would be just fine. HTH.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 3:56am
post #5 of 18

I've done the bear and the lamb, both times used DH.
Worked fine.

JessicaLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicaLynn Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 5:50am
post #6 of 18

I just made this one for a 1st bday. I made a scratch banana cake, and I used stabelized whip cream frosting. I did not have any problems with the frosting not holding up. The little girl ate the ear first. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

diana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diana Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 18

I use the recipe from here "Durable Cake for 3D and Wedding Cakes" it is very yummy. I double it using 7 cups of batter aprox. I don't use the core and always put a baking sheet under it when in the oven, it will overflow a little but you will get your Bear complete. I did one it came out really good, but please practice first. Good Luck!! thumbs_up.gif
LL

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 18

I've made this twice (once as a bear, and this weekend as a person!). Both times I used Magnolia Bakery's 'Vanilla Birthday Cake'. It works really well with the 3D shapes and 1 recipe is enough to fill it. I fill almost to the top (I leave about 2ins), and then catch the overflow with a baking tray too. I never use the core and it takes about 1 - 1 1/4hrs to cook through. My advice is to wrap the ear sections of the pan on the outside with aluminum foil (shiny side out), to deflect the heat and stop them getting burnt! I used all butter buttercream to decorate and massage a layer all over the bear first (like massaging butter into chicken skin!) - this really helps the buttercream to stick to the cake when you decorate it. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

nicoles-a-tryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles-a-tryin Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 4:16pm
post #9 of 18

Hello, I use my ALL the time. Probably my most used pan.

First I always use a box of pound and a box of reg cake mix. You can also do just 2 boxes of reg cake...just add an extra egg.

I DO NOT USE THE HEATING CORE! I found it is more stabel without it and you don't have to fight with it.

So, you will fill it up to his feet and bake at 325 for almost an hour...it will pour out....so keep on a baking sheet. Then follow the directions it says for cooling,
I haven't had a problem. Good luck,

mrsdawnwhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdawnwhite Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 18

I plan on making this cake soon. Do you have to double the "durable cake" recipe to have enough batter? I've never used this pan and I've had for over a year.. I was just now brave enough to try the stand up choo choo pan.

Thanks,
Dawn

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 5:59pm
post #11 of 18

I just made it this week. Used DH box mix and choc buttercream meduim with the 233 tip. I did not use the heating core and he can out perfect. make sure you put a baking sheet under him becuase he leaks a bit when baking.
LL

DeniseO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseO Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 9:07pm
post #12 of 18

Hi. I have made a few of the teddy bears. I use the Pillsbury cake mix that has pudding in the mix. It turns out great. I usually have to bake it close to 55-60 minutes. Check out the bears I have made and let me know if I can be of any help. [email protected]

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 11:32pm
post #13 of 18

I have no advice, but thought I would jump in and ask...does anyone know how many servings this pan has?

thanks!

roanoker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roanoker Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 11:51pm
post #14 of 18

I've done it 2-3 times with the DH mix and every time I have had problems with it falling apart, for some reason I just keep forgetting that and doing it again. Maybe it is because I use the core though and that makes it not stable enough. I would try without the core. Be sure to use extra batter, or it won't fill out enough, I've done that too. I have also had the problem with the ears burning, so definitely wrap them like someone suggested.

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 12:11am
post #15 of 18

It serves about 12. I find it hard to cut even serving sizes since you are kind of hacking up a bear.

KittyPTerror Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittyPTerror Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 1:49am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

It serves about 12. I find it hard to cut even serving sizes since you are kind of hacking up a bear.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahah!

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 2:10am
post #17 of 18

I've been doing the bear for years and always use BC cake mixes - devils food. I use 2 mixes but it doesn't take all of the batter. I fill just to the top of the paws. I always put on a cookie sheet to catch any over flow. I never use the heating core. And bake about 55 minutes or so.

After I take it at of the oven I will wait about 5 minutes and then lay the bear on his face and remove the back pan - let this cool for about 5 more minutes and then flip him over and remove the front. I wait a few more minutes and then replace the front pan and flip him one more time. I will leave him over night like this. cut the bottom off so he's level and stand him up. I never have any problems when I do this.

I use my regular BC frosting and he turns out great! Hope this helps. send me a pm if you have any more questions. I am sorry that i don't have any pictures - I'm really bad about remembering to take them. I'm trying to get better.

TaraRowan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TaraRowan Posted 30 Mar 2007 , 2:00pm
post #18 of 18

My one tip that I got from someone else is to not try and use those clips that come with the pan-use those black binder clips that you find at staples! those clips they provide had me in tears the first time!

good luck!
tara

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%